Talk

Advanced search

food snobs anonymous

(108 Posts)
magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 06:39:04

Now this isn't really the most serious post as I pretty much admit I'm being dreadfully dramatic, but AIBU to be a totally unintentional food snob grin - Turned my nose up at a canned shock spaghetti shock toasted sandwhich the other day and it got me thinking that I may be one of 'those' people with haughty food opinions. I do the whole 'no mass produced babyfood' thing, the 'how dare you' response to caged/cruelty meat, and have a toddler known to cry for truffle tortellini.

Anyone else suffering this affliction want to share their stories - it may make me feel less like a terrible person!

user1491572121 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:11:16

I wouldn't eat that either but I don't consider myself a food snob.

I don't eat anything processed though...so maybe I am one after all!

But then again...to label someone who eats healthily as a snob seems ridiculous. I made all my babies' food myself. No jars at all and we eat a lot of organic, locally grown things but that's because we're in a position to do so.

Some people aren't.

HotelEuphoria Sun 09-Apr-17 07:16:21

I hardly think turning your nose up at a canned spaghetti toastie makes you a food snob. The question is do you buy your truffle tortellini from Lidl or do you make your own?

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:18:38

@hoteleuphoria Is it possible for one to buy truffle tortelini Lidl? I think F&M do a decent one but prefer homemade grin
(I hope people take this thread with a grain of salt...)

Chillyegg Sun 09-Apr-17 07:20:59

I am by no means a food snob. As in i enjoy angel delight, sandwich spread and a donner kebab like the next self respecting northerner. But i wouldn't eat tinned spaghetti /pot noodles or the such like. Surely its just personal preference

Crumbs1 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:23:21

You cannot be a food snob if you even know people who might offer a canned spaghetti toasted sandwich.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 09-Apr-17 07:25:51

I do have some food snobby tendencies but happily eat all sorts of rubbish too including canned spaghetti on toast but a canned spaghetti toastie, presumably made in a breville type machine, sounds so bizarre, just why?

Did the person who made it have a breville but no normal toaster?

There is a huge thread in classics about making toasties and I bet canned spaghetti is not one of the suggestions. Was there cheese in there too? Wasn't it incredibly messy to eat?

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:26:18

Crumbs - Friend's son is at boarding school in New Zealand - tuck shop there is more than a bit laissez-faire with culinary standards

Ifailed Sun 09-Apr-17 07:26:41

I too would turn my nose up at a canned spaghetti toastie, it sounds disgusting. However, I'm about to have a sunday breakfast treat of spam fritters, so I don't see myself as a food snob.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 09-Apr-17 07:27:08

I think they do have truffle tortellini in Lidl. Their Deluxe range includes all sorts of naice treats.

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:28:27

(said evil toastie was purchased by friends son and has since been requested at home, she, like I, was a tad horrified)

Geepee71 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:30:15

Magnolia, I hope you mean a grain of Himalayan pink salt?
smile

Trollspoopglitter Sun 09-Apr-17 07:30:35

I may be one, as I didn't realise spaghetti came in a can. Now that I think about it, I've seen the little kid tins but never full ones aimed at adults. Now I wonder what other tinned wonders lurk down that aisle.

doge Sun 09-Apr-17 07:32:21

Canned spaghetti sounds rank but I do love spaghetti hoops so maybe I am a hypocrite.

DevelopingDetritus Sun 09-Apr-17 07:33:50

Tinned spaghetti is an abomination, they've got a cheek to even call it spaghetti, so I'm with you on that one.

DevelopingDetritus Sun 09-Apr-17 07:37:21

Himalayan pink salt? grin. Only vanilla from Madagascar will do as well.

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:42:19

Until this interaction I wasn't aware spaghetti came canned. Aparently its in the same sauce as those supermarket baked beans slop they love to dish out heartily at boarding school. A spaghetti toasty is literally carbs inside carbs in a sugary tomatoe sauce? And obviously the salt is shavedpink himalayan - not the big slabs we use to cook the steak on grin

KitKats28 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:42:39

Lidl truffle tortellini is really nice. So is tinned spaghetti on toast, but only Tesco long cut, not hoops.

I can't be arsed to be a food snob. I cook "from scratch" 😉 most nights, but then sometimes you just want crappy junk food. Everything in moderation.

KitKats28 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:46:07

Plus, how can you be a food snob when you can get all the wanky ingredients from any old shop. I buy pink Himalayan salt from B&M and Madagascan vanilla from Lidl.

I can't actually believe someone has never heard of tinned spaghetti!

GoingQuietlyInsane Sun 09-Apr-17 07:49:02

"the salt is shavedpink himalayan - not the big slabs we use to cook the steak on"

Whoa, what? You can cook steak on salt??

Here is my story. We live very close to a very cute street bursting with lovely restaurants, independent delis, bakers, a fishmonger, cake shops etc. There is also a Percy Ingle.

Every time we walk down it with FIL, he spies the Percy Ingle window with its somewhat sad offering of cakes, and turns to us all with a big smile saying "ooooh! Lots of nice looking things in there!"

I must be a huge food snob because it really pisses me off! Of all the amazing food on offer on that street, he goes for a day-old deflated eclair?! blush

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:53:04

Oh believe me, being a food snob is not limited to wanky ingredients. Its the mentality of it. Personally prefer buying individual vanilla beans and extracting it myself - easier to tell the origin of the product and control the flavours.

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:54:09

www.naturallivingideas.com/himalayan-salt-block/ - works wonders really!

Billybonkers76 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:55:06

I am a bit of a food snob, can't use sauces from a jar, have to make real gravy, make my own houmas. Can't resist jacket potato with cheesy beans and brown sauce though!

MMM3 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:57:59

Carbs inside carbs

Exactly! My first thought was, "A bread sandwich?"

HunterHearstHelmsley Sun 09-Apr-17 07:58:17

Oh tinned spaghetti is amazing. Hoops or with sausages... Even better. In a toastie though? No.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now