Talk

Advanced search

Ebay fraud attempt, police?

(18 Posts)
OydNeverDeclinesGin Sat 08-Apr-17 22:49:10

Just over a week ago I received an email from ebay about a leather jacket I had apparently bid for. It cost £320 and I most certainly hadn't bid for it. I rang them immediately to report fraudulent activity on my account.
They assured me they had put a stop to the transaction and were looking into how it had occurred. There should have been no further problems for me, I changed passwords etc, thought not much more of it.
Today I checked my bank account and £320 has been taken for a PayPal payment for a leather jacket! So, somewhat pissed off I rang both PayPal and eBay. Allegedly I will have the money back on Monday.

My AIBU is, ebay said when asked they would not be referring this to the police as " they couldn't know who had done it"
Surely all attempted fraud should be referred to the police?
And if they won't do it should I?

Sorry for a boring AIBU!

Cocklodger Sat 08-Apr-17 22:50:10

I'd think since you're the victim of the crime you should report (although eBay should assist) so YAB a bit U (understandably so however)

Cocklodger Sat 08-Apr-17 22:50:29

And yes you absolutely should. Sorry that happened! flowers

peukpokicuzo Sat 08-Apr-17 22:53:54

There are quite a lot of crimes reported to the police where the person reporting has no way of knowing who the criminal is. The police are used to it.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Sat 08-Apr-17 23:09:00

Cock, it's attempted crime. Not successful but has left me somewhat inconvenienced! The money should be in back in my account on Monday.
I was surprised that ebay don't have a system for reporting fraud or attempted fraud to the police. The attempted crime was through their website. And apparently they never report it.
I'm not sure that's good enough.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sat 08-Apr-17 23:12:33

Ime as a copper you'll get directed to Action Fraud who are set up to deal with online fraud. Police very unlikely to record or deal. Sorry. Cutbacks...

kali110 Sat 08-Apr-17 23:13:13

Was it in your items bidded/purchased?

1Evaline1 Sat 08-Apr-17 23:14:54

If it's fraud you need to report it yourself, no bank or company will log this for you unfortunately.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Sat 08-Apr-17 23:14:58

Don't, I will go it on action fraud, thanks.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Sat 08-Apr-17 23:19:48

Obviously meant, log it on!
Thanks everyone

previously1474etc Sat 08-Apr-17 23:21:22

If you haven't already thought of this, try to work out how they could have got into your account. If you use a PC you need to check for key loggers and run some security checks. If it is your phone I can't advise as I don't use mine for anything except phone calls, but am sure someone else can advise.

1Evaline1 Sat 08-Apr-17 23:23:21

Get your debit card blocked and reissued by your bank also

OydNeverDeclinesGin Sat 08-Apr-17 23:32:04

I changed all my passwords, and have changed them all again since then. I've also gone through my bank account with a small tooth comb!

Thanks allflowers

Twofurrycats Sat 08-Apr-17 23:49:16

Have you reported it to the bank as an unauthorised transaction? PayPal are generally more use than eBay as they are handling the money side.

DontPullThatTubeOut Sat 08-Apr-17 23:59:24

Can you get your bank to recall it?

ChaseAvenal Sun 09-Apr-17 00:01:37

Have you checked your PayPal account to see who the jacket was attemptedly sent to? That will give you a name and address to report.

twattymctwatterson Sun 09-Apr-17 00:24:46

It's not up to EBay to report this to the police. I work for a financial organisation and we take the same stance. As the intended victim the report should come from you

cafenoirbiscuit Sun 09-Apr-17 00:35:45

eBay are shite at this stuff. The police don't tend to get involved either as they see it as a civil rather than criminal matter. We had a TV stolen from us via eBay, and neither parties were bothered. Couldn't claim on insurance either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now