Talk

Advanced search

To think that Mary Berry has jumped the shark?

(48 Posts)
southeastdweller Sat 08-Apr-17 17:10:43

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/mary-berry-dabbles-dark-arts-shop-bought-sponge/

How much more money and exposure does she need?! She churns out books almost all the time, and now she's done a u-turn on cooking from scratch.

National Treasure, my fat arse.

Yoksha Sat 08-Apr-17 18:02:40

Yup,

Absolutely agree OP.

TinfoilHattie Sat 08-Apr-17 18:10:53

Do not diss the Berry.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Sat 08-Apr-17 18:12:44

I suppose she has to pay for all of those snazzy jackets.

PinkHeart59156816 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:16:18

Aww I love Mary berry, I'd buy them! We had her chocolate brownie pudding & salad dressing the other week, was very nice.

So she's making money, what's the problem? All celebrities make money one way or another

Summerisdone Sat 08-Apr-17 18:17:21

I don't understand the issue. She doesn't seem to be claiming that her ready made sponges are better than baking from scratch, but she recognises that most people in modern day life don't have the time to bake from scratch on a regular basis, so as a smart business woman she's decided to tap into that market.
I for one love Mary Berry but if someone were to gift me one of her books then it would gather dust very quickly as I don't have time, nor the skill for baking from scratch, her ready made sponges though would definitely appeal to me.

zzzzz Sat 08-Apr-17 18:18:57

It's possible to be nice AND make money.

What on earth is wrong with selling the thing she's good at? confused

DressageDiva88 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:19:46

I was always pretty indifferent towards her and never really watched bake off, but since I read an interview in a magazine where she was boasting about wearing real fur (rabbit I think) I've come to dislike her. She has no 'sweet old lady' appeal for me I have to say, but then I think there is a general excess of cooking programmes/books etc.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Sat 08-Apr-17 18:20:25

I find that Mary Berry understands more that people have lives than some of the other chefs. Even Jamie's 15/30 minute meals can contain a lot of ingredients and a lot of faff.

MrsDustyBusty Sat 08-Apr-17 18:24:37

It's possible to be nice AND make money.

Yes, but she's not nice, is she?

greedygorb Sat 08-Apr-17 18:33:21

My mum and my aunties were great fans of Mary Berry back in the day when she wasn't famous. I got one of her cookbooks as a present for my wedding 20 years ago. I swear nearly every single recipe had a mistake. A tablespoon instead of a tea spoon, litres instead of ml. Timings wrong, Temperatures wrong. Quite good recipes but you had to double check everything. Very very sloppy. Never though much of her after that.

zzzzz Sat 08-Apr-17 18:35:07

Isn't she?

Do you know her personally Dusty?

TulipsInAJug Sat 08-Apr-17 18:36:36

I have tried many of her recipes and they all work a treat. They really WORK unloke Jamie Faff Oliver and Delia, whose quantities can be wrong.

I was a fan long before she became famous, her cook books are my go-to and they have never ever failed me. Or any member of my wider family, come to think of it.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sat 08-Apr-17 18:42:30

Incorrect use of the phrase 'jumping the shark'.

Anyway, she has had a range of salad dressings out for decades. Is this really so different?

highinthesky Sat 08-Apr-17 18:42:35

I don't actually think she's that good a cook, I can see her popularity is all about her persona as a wholesome role model, in a Janet-and-John kind of way.

What I do like about her is her resilience. One of her sons died tragically, and young. No parent should have to face that.

Not impressed by the rabbit referred to above. I'd much rather hear she kept a rampant one.

expatinscotland Sat 08-Apr-17 18:45:08

Yeah, YABU. She's a brand. She sells stuff. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Whatsername17 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:49:27

Still love her.

NancyWake Sat 08-Apr-17 18:51:35

Can't stand Bake off, but I'm happy to buy her cakes if they taste nice. (That chocolate one doesn't look as if it's got enough filling tbh).

Sainsburys coffee and walnut cake is the biz - far better than the Waitrose and M&S versions.

SailAwayWithMeHoney Sat 08-Apr-17 18:51:43

I am slightly disappointed tbh, maybe I'm dumb and it's not a viable possibility but I do wonder why she didn't go down the route of additive-free shop bought cakes?? Attempting to stick closer to her original recipes.

Sparklingbrook Sat 08-Apr-17 18:54:45

I tend to not buy anything that has a celebrity's face on it. It will be more £££s but not any better than anything else.

MB already has a Bread and Butter pudding out, and Jamie and his poncy oils, and Paul Hollywood has some very overpriced cooking utensil things he's flogging and bread.

PaulDacresFeministConscience Sat 08-Apr-17 18:55:59

She's 82 and doing exactly what I would be doing if I were in her shoes, which is to make the bloody most of every single opportunity she is given. The average life expectancy of a UK woman at the moment is 83.1 years, so I can't really blame her for wanting to fill her boots while ever she has the chance!

BTW her beef with horseradish and mustard casserole is yum.

diddl Sat 08-Apr-17 19:00:02

I watched her brief appearance in the show with the Robshaws.

They had a freezer for the first time.

MB's suggestion was that they decanted everything into seethrough bags & use colour coded clips.

Why not just leave in the bag that it was bought in & shows what's in it??

Ironfloor Sat 08-Apr-17 19:03:01

I'm not impressed with her recipes bar the Victoria sandwich one. I tried her chocolate cupcake recipe a couple of times, where she asks you to mix cocoa powder with hot water and add it to the egg, burtter and sugar mixture. It always, always went wrong. The cocoa powder wouldn't dissolve properly and end up lumpy, making the cupcakes rather heavy and full of bitter cocoa lumps.

Anyway, long story short, I think MB is an average cook at best. If you carefully listen to her comments throughout Bakeoff, you'll see that anyone can come up with them, there is no 'expertise' to speak of.

I agree with a pp that he 'value' if any, is in her being a wholesome role model, not a great cook.

MrsHughesCarson Sat 08-Apr-17 19:09:03

I've gone off her since her nasty comment about having an advantage over Delia because she has children to give her feedback.

Glossolalia Sat 08-Apr-17 19:09:29

I've not watched GBBO so I don't have an opinion on MB.

A chef/goodie taking advantage of their '15 minutes of fame' isn't unusual though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now