Talk

Advanced search

...to ask you if this is what you think chicken pox looks like?

(26 Posts)
jackinthepox Sat 08-Apr-17 15:00:21

Yes, I know you can't diagnose over the Internet and I need a Dr's appt to be certain.

Saw GP yesterday when rash looked very different. At that point she felt the rash was likely to be part of a viral presentation (dd also has swollen glands, intermittent temp, red tonsils etc.) On that basis she advised it's not infectious.

It now looks like this. Several of the spots are raised; a few look perhaps a bit crusty...? Mainly on legs with some little rash patches appearing on face / neck / behind ears. A couple of tiny pinpoint marks on trunk. Is it possible it's The Pox?

I have a thing tomorrow that I really don't want to cancel if unnecessary, but definitely don't want to take a super infectious child to.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Crunchymum Sat 08-Apr-17 15:04:19

I'd cancel anyway and you don't need a Dr's appointment if it is chicken pox.

ShastaBeast Sat 08-Apr-17 15:07:53

It could be - the larger spots look like tiny blisters, which is what it typically is like. It's pretty fast do you will know before tomorrow if covered in spots.

jackinthepox Sat 08-Apr-17 15:08:16

For her I would need a Dr RE chicken pox as her medical history means it could be a bit more dangerous for her.

You'd cancel because you think it might look a bit like chicken pox?

Babyiwantabump Sat 08-Apr-17 15:09:04

Hand foot and mouth?

Babyiwantabump Sat 08-Apr-17 15:10:38

Sorry should have been clearer - it looks more like hand foot and mouth to me - which would explain the sore throats etc too

jackinthepox Sat 08-Apr-17 15:11:49

Perhaps a stupid question, but would hand foot and mouth be likely to present on her hands, feet and mouth? This isn't really...

LionSock Sat 08-Apr-17 15:12:47

That looks like hand foot and mouth to me too.

LionSock Sat 08-Apr-17 15:13:36

When my son had it, he had none near his face. He only had it on hands, arms, legs and feet.

maresedotes Sat 08-Apr-17 15:21:49

Doesn't look like chicken pox to me. With both my two you could see the spots appearing in front of you.

hazeyjane Sat 08-Apr-17 15:21:55

You often get a sore throat with chicken pox too. It does look a bit poxy to me.

If it isn't, then you might want to ask about the vaccine - if chicken pox could be more dangerous due to medical meeds, she may get the vaccine on the NHS - otherwise it is roughly £120ish for the 2 jabs.

jackinthepox Sat 08-Apr-17 15:36:14

Thanks for all the views. A house divided; I think we'll keep her isolated to be safe until we can have somebody look over her properly.

That's really helpful to know RE the vaccine, thank you.

Crunchymum Sat 08-Apr-17 19:12:51

Understood re: medical reason you would need to see a GP.

I'd cancel anyway as it's a rash of sorts and maybe likely contagious.

Fruitboxjury Sat 08-Apr-17 19:16:18

it doesn't look like chicken pox as mine had it, which isn't to say it's not. As pp said you'll know by tomorrow

Etymology23 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:19:16

I thought hand foot and mouth when I saw it too, but I'm no medic!

Libitina Sat 08-Apr-17 19:22:47

This doesn't look like chicken pox to me.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Apr-17 19:26:43

Where is it on her body? CP usually starts on the torso.

LotisBlue Sat 08-Apr-17 19:32:13

That looks just like hand foot and mouth which my ds has just had. The spots were clustered on his hands feet and around the mouth but he also had a lot on his bum and a few on his arms and legs

Casmama Sat 08-Apr-17 19:35:40

You don't want to me take a child somewhere if they are infectious yet your doctor told you it looked like a virus and therefore is infectious confused

HereWeGoRound Sat 08-Apr-17 19:40:56

My little one's cpox started as tiny red pin pricks all over and GP diagnosed eczema! Next day there were blisters under her nappy area and the day after that head to foot in big red spots. It's hard to tell from your photos. Doesn't look exactly like what my daughter had, but then her sister had a mild dose that looked completely different again.

highinthesky Sat 08-Apr-17 19:42:24

I hate how the image keeps on jumping on IOS sad

It's not chicken pox, as it's not vesicular and as BikeRunSki alludes to would have presented on the chest. It would also be itchy.

It looks viral to me, but keep an eye out for other symptoms, particularly raised temperature and unusual behaviour. Children can deteriorate quickly and you will be the first to detect it.

Gunpowder Sat 08-Apr-17 19:45:20

I think h,f&m too. You know when it's CP IMO. They can have one or two spots and three or four hours later there are loads!

jackinthepox Mon 10-Apr-17 11:01:32

Update in case anyone's interested - have just seen GP and they've diagnosed chicken pox. Some of the spots are a bit more blistery now.

highinthesky Mon 10-Apr-17 11:24:56

Glad you've got a diagnosis.

Are there vesicles on the trunk of the body now, btw?

jackinthepox Mon 10-Apr-17 11:53:34

There aren't, no. GP said it was not the typical presentation but the spots were chickenpoxy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now