Talk

Advanced search

To think Yes, The Beatles were brilliant, but ffs get over it

(185 Posts)
DonaldStott Sat 08-Apr-17 09:01:17

Yes. I love The Beatles. They were amazing. There music has stood the test of time.

My mum is from Liverpool. I live near Liverpool. The Beatles are ingrained in my growing up. What did John Hannah say on Sliding Doors - The should be called The Featuls.

Blah blah blah.

This incessant celebrating EVERY anniversary of EVERYTHING they have EVER done needs to stop.

Now it's 50 years since Sgt Pepper album.

We've had the anniversary of the first time they played at the Cavern, the anniversary of john lennons death, the anniversary of the first time ringo farted, the anniversary of the release of white revolver, the anniversary of the day they returned to play in the cavern, the anniversary of the release of hard days night.........It's endless.

Am I being a misbag, or is it ridiculous? I will state again, I am aware of their cultural influence and love their music.

dinosaursandtea Sat 08-Apr-17 09:05:26

Also raised near Merseyside and YES. Shut up about the sodding Beatles already.

workshyfop Sat 08-Apr-17 09:06:49

Twee jangly shite imho.

neonrainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 09:09:15

Being from Liverpool you probably get this more than most. Thank god they tend to pass me by because they're utterly shite. They've only stood the test of time because of people unwilling to let go of their youth. If they were a new band now they would never see the light of day.

Ellybellyboo Sat 08-Apr-17 09:10:17

YANBU!!!!!

I've never really liked them very much to be honest.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 08-Apr-17 09:12:09

tbh i don't think they're all that

WateryTart Sat 08-Apr-17 09:12:42

YABU. My mum never got over Frank Sinatra and I will never get over The Beatles.

MrsJayy Sat 08-Apr-17 09:13:36

They were just a boyband imo nothing special I imagine being from Liverpool it will be really irritating, hey jude is the most annoying song ever im not a fan can you tell

MoonriseKingdom Sat 08-Apr-17 09:16:02

twee jangly shite shock

What about 'she'sso heavy', 'while my guitar gently weeps', 'Eleanor Rigby' just to name a few of their darker songs.

Back to theOp. I absolutely love them but you are right. Especially can't cope with Paul McCartney being wheeled out for a rendition of 'hey Jude'.

DonaldStott Sat 08-Apr-17 09:16:07

I know alot of people find them irritating. But you're not allowed to not like them round these parts grin

x2boys Sat 08-Apr-17 09:16:54

i dont think they were that great tbh they were just four lads that looked good[for the time] andf could hold a tune no better then any band of my youth i,m 43.

DonaldStott Sat 08-Apr-17 09:16:57

being wheeled out for a rendition of 'hey Jude

Fpmsl

ShowOfHands Sat 08-Apr-17 09:17:41

Their success was a product of the time.

Their music remains mediocre and dull but captures a time, a mood, change etc.

It's like Harry Potter. Not the best writing at all but the time, the hype, the marketing etc played a part and look at it now. I'm a Potter fan btw but I know its success rests on more than its merits.

Ellybellyboo Sat 08-Apr-17 09:17:54

God, don't get me started on Paul McCartney and Hey fucking Jude. I can go on for hours.

Paul McCartney tops my shit list

YokoReturns Sat 08-Apr-17 09:18:31

I'm a music teacher and use the Beatles' career as a kind-of potted history of pop when teaching A-level.

What's interesting about them is that they condensed their myriad influences firstly into a very appealing pop 'product', then broke out of that mould and continued to reinvent themselves.

Look at Tomorrow Never Knows: Macca was interested in Stockhausen so they created tape loops to use as the backing track; George loved Indian music so added a tambura as the drone; John loved the Tibetan Book of the Dead so he changed lines from that; Ringo loved jazz so he stuck a breakbeat behind it. And it's magical.

They will never be equalled, as far as I'm concerned.

Spadequeen Sat 08-Apr-17 09:18:39

Yanbu

DonaldStott Sat 08-Apr-17 09:28:17

I am not disputing they will never be equalled yoko. In terms of pop culture, they have been huge.

What I am saying is celebrating the anniversary of everything they have ever done, for years on end, is ridiculous.

Alconleigh Sat 08-Apr-17 09:32:37

McCartney at the Olympics was mortifying. No voice left, purple hair, it was like your doddery uncle getting up for a song and everyone humouring him. For all the world as if Britain hadn't produced great swathes of wonderful music since 1968 hmm

ilovesooty Sat 08-Apr-17 09:33:28

I suppose you could try moving house. grin

I love the Beatles but I think the memories of John and George have benefited from their early deaths.

SuperBeagle Sat 08-Apr-17 09:34:43

The Beatles are and were nothing compared to Led Zeppelin. grin

(But the only Beatles song I like is Helter Skelter)

Megatherium Sat 08-Apr-17 09:35:27

Maybe I'm in a bubble, but I was totally unaware that anniversaries were being celebrated - and I'm very pro-Beatle. Maybe you're more aware because of the Liverpool connection?

TheNaze73 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:35:44

YANBU. Everytime McCartney is dragged out for an event to sing Hey Jude & Let It Be, I shudder.

DonaldStott Sat 08-Apr-17 09:36:03

And here's Paul's new album cover

NotYoda Sat 08-Apr-17 09:40:24

Donald

I agree with you

I almost wish Beatles ' songs could be banned for a few years (10) so we could listen to them again and appreciate how great they are

That picture is cruel! But yes, I have often remarked on the fact that some old men start to resemble old women, especially of they continue to dye their hair (ageing rockers a particular fan of the too-long- and -dyed look)

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 08-Apr-17 09:41:19

Yabu. I did a thread about mj this week, let people decide for themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now