We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to talk me out of buying a new roomba.

(33 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 08-Apr-17 07:27:56

I really want one, old Dyson is on its last legs and the Roomba looks amazing. But the lastest model is sooooo much money.

Dh thinks I'm insane for considering paying £800 for a vacuum cleaner but I'm so tempted.

Are there any regretful Roomba buyers out there who can talk me out of it?

JR1111 Sat 08-Apr-17 07:29:53

Google the story about the puppy and the roomba....

Middleagedmumoftwo Sat 08-Apr-17 07:32:58

Well someone just commented about one (maybe not same brand) on a thread about "the worst thing you've ever bought" so that tells you enough 😬

LotisBlue Sat 08-Apr-17 07:35:52

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2897240-to-ask-whats-the-worst-thing-youve-ever-bought

Mentioned more than once on this thread. The dog poo story would put me off!

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 08-Apr-17 07:36:20

I heard about the puppy and the roomba trying to clean something it should have left well alone.
We have no pets so that doesn't put me off.

RitzyMcFee Sat 08-Apr-17 07:39:37

My dh got a Roomba and I thought he was a fool but I absolutely love it. You don't need the latest model. We've got this one from this place.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/roomba605/irobot-roomba605?gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5kOfd-gvYtYzKPJXM2OoiO0yjWMsqNAHg3AavC-FosdRoC2xwwcB

PETRONELLAS Sat 08-Apr-17 07:44:34

My DH wanted one. So we've got one. It's excellent on carpet. Less good with crumbs. Kind of flicks them out of the way. We still have a Dyson because our model isn't 'intelligent'. It doesn't map the floor so may go over one area excessively and avoid another area completely. I like it for bedrooms, goes right to edges, but open plan areas it's less amazing. But still great. If it broke we would definitely replace. Was under £400 a few years ago.

RitzyMcFee Sat 08-Apr-17 07:45:47

I've just realised that is not quite what you asked. grin Don't get one.

Disadvantages are
You have to empty it more often.
You can't do stairs

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 08-Apr-17 07:47:25

We have a human cleaner, a cluttered house and 3 stories, otherwise I'd probably get one. Never read reviews though.

Janiston Sat 08-Apr-17 07:50:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jenny70 Sat 08-Apr-17 07:53:03

We had one of the first ones, and yes it has it's uses, but it isn't a replacement for an actual vacuum cleaner. Spot cleaning doesn't work, so if you drop cereal in the kitchen, sand from shoe etc, it won't get it all... quicker to just sweep/vacuum properly.

And our died after ?18months/2yr because the rechargeable battery life was so short it would go across the room and then head back to dock and recharge! My SIL had one at the same time - we got Roomba to give us new batteries, but it still only really lasted another 6 months. I think rechargeable batteries are still an issue longer term.

And finally if it really banged into something, it would drop stuff it had vacuumed up.

I have low housekeeping standards, and whilst it achieved some level of cleanliness, it really wasn't great.

BellyBean Sat 08-Apr-17 08:02:59

Wow you could pay £200 for a good one and pay for a cleaner to do the hoovering and more besides for that amount of money!

HappyWombat Sat 08-Apr-17 08:11:45

We had one (a Neato) it did an okay job and kept on top of the floors generally, but I still had to vacuum. However, we do have four indoor cats, so there is lots of cat fluff about! We had it for about 18 months before the battery life started to go. By that point we were about to have some new wood flooring put down and decided that there was a chance it could scratch the floor if it caught up a piece of grit or anything like that, so we got rid of it.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 08-Apr-17 08:52:02

Wow you could pay £200 for a good one and pay for a cleaner to do the hoovering and more besides for that amount of money

Well not really. If I got a new vacuum that's £200 quid a cleaner would cost a minimum of £75 a month. So I can have a cleaner for 8 months.

Cleaner would be way more expensive.

This thread is working though, there's a few fans but lots of issues.

Riversleep Sat 08-Apr-17 10:24:23

I got the cheap version from lidl. I think it's vileda. I love it. I have low housekeeping standards though, so it's better than me with my Dyson! I would still have a Hoover though so couldn't justify £800 on one and a new Hoover! Mine was £45 grin

CantChoose Sat 08-Apr-17 10:29:22

My best friend has one and thinks it's the best thing ever. She has a big, single level, open plan, clutter free living space though. We have a cluttered terraced house with little steps to each room so it would be useless here.
If it works with your space I'd say get one!

madmare77 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:00:30

Love it. DH bought one for around £400. I thought he was crazy but it's fab. You can set it on timer - come home from work and it's clean! Deffo worth the £

Tubbyinthehottub Sat 08-Apr-17 11:11:06

I would get a cordless dyson instead. Love mine and you can dust skirting boards etc with it. Makes vacuuming really rapid.

EasterRobin Sat 08-Apr-17 13:09:43

Do you have pets (particularly any that are prone to fleas)? Or a family member with a dust allergy? If you need to/should do vacuuming every day then get a Roomba.

Otherwise it's still good, but not as big a deal. It works well for top-up cleans in between a powerful vacuum cleaning session maybe once a month when you can get everything the Roomba misses (stairs, awkward areas). I would wholeheartedly recommend a Roomba, but not as your ONLY vacuum cleaner.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 08-Apr-17 15:12:44

Or a family member with a dust allergy?

No pets but dh is allergic to everything (hence no pets). I'm still tempted. New roomba and we also keep the aging Dyson.

I would love to get the floors clear in the morning and come home to clean floors.

Still tempted

FairytalesAreBullshit Sat 08-Apr-17 15:13:55

You are absolutely insane, I'd want it to do all the housework for me for that much!

Pettywoman Sat 08-Apr-17 15:20:53

I've got an old Roomba. I hardly use it since I got a Dyson V6 handheld. The Dyson is so quick and it does cobwebs and skirting too.

Justalittlebitfurther Sat 08-Apr-17 15:27:40

My friend has one and I'd love one even with its flaws. When I stay with her she puts it on we go out for the day and it's clean. Am tempted again now I have seen you can get older models cheaper!

Ta1kinPeace Sat 08-Apr-17 15:56:19

I love mine.
Was given it as a pressie.
I set it running when I go out in the morning and come home to the whole downstairs swept and hoovered.
It never gets bored of doing around table legs.
It never gets scared of what is under my son's bed.

Its not perfect - I have a Sebo for stairs and a bi monthly blitz
but it keeps the place neat.

d270r0 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:11:07

No way I'll talk you out of it! I have one and its brilliant. I used to be rubbish at hoovering (Think... once a week if lucky). Now my house floor is dust and crumb free. I run it most days, at least downstairs althouh less upstairs as it doesn't need it. Its so easy, just press a button! You do have to empty it quite often, especially on carpet as it picks up fluff, and clean the brushes regularly as hair sticks to them, and pet fur. And you need something else for stairs and corners, but I have a handheld dyson I use for that. They really are great.
I wouldn't buy the latest model nessessarily. I got mine a year and a half ago and it was an older model then and cost £285, and has been fantastic. So shop around, but I'd definitely recommend the roomba brand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now