Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for ten year old girls to be wearing makeup?

(69 Posts)
catscurledupbythefire Fri 07-Apr-17 22:28:11

DS is in year 5 and all the girls seem very interested in makeup. They subscribe to videos on YouTube about how to put it on and all have their own as birthday and Christmas presents.

I have younger girls. AIBU to be a bit taken aback/worried, and to hope it's just DSs school?

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Apr-17 22:32:49

I'd be more worried about what they might stumble across on Youtube, than them popping a bit of makeup on.

Ameliablue Fri 07-Apr-17 22:34:00

To have make up yes, to subscribe to make up you tube, or to be wearing it all the time but so much.

LovingLola Fri 07-Apr-17 22:35:41

I know a 10 year old who gets Mac make up as presents. From foundation to lipsticks. She has a full set of Mac make up brushes.
Bonkers!

twisterinyogapants Fri 07-Apr-17 22:35:48

Mine likes a tinted lip balm but that's it. And only at home not at school. And mostly for the flavour ( jelly belly). I don't think it is an issue.

SoulAccount Fri 07-Apr-17 22:37:01

At our school / amongst my Dc and friends, no, not what they do in Yr 5, at 10.
None of them use make up.

catscurledupbythefire Fri 07-Apr-17 22:37:16

I agree with that too Worraliberty but I guess i just find it a bit sad. I've never been interested in makeup though so maybe I just can't identify.

Midnightprobs Fri 07-Apr-17 22:39:25

Well mine doesn't but she isn't very girly. Most of her friends take any opportunity they can to put makeup on. Shame as i think people, especially kids with young skin, are really beautiful as they are.

987flowers Fri 07-Apr-17 22:40:07

My friend's daughter is 11 and is often photographed with a full face of slap. Looks bloody ridiculous. Thankfully my 11 year old isn't interested in looking like a drag queen grin

madamginger Fri 07-Apr-17 22:41:51

DD is in year five and she wears lip balm, the girls in her class love them and she might have a smear of eyeshadow at a school disco but never more than that.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Fri 07-Apr-17 22:43:10

DD, 11, loves make up but only at home or at a friends house. She practices different clown looks and feels fab before we scrub it off.

It's just a bit of fun and helps her prepare for when she's older

1Evaline1 Fri 07-Apr-17 22:44:22

My 2 nearly 3 year old watches me put my makeup on and sometimes asks for some also so I'll put a little Vaseline on her lips or pretend to brush the powder on her checks and she's happy enough.

She admired my nails yesterday as they were bright red then put her hands out for me to do hers so I pretended to by blowing on them etc .

Hope I'm not encouraging her

AbernathysFringe Fri 07-Apr-17 22:45:26

I used to muck about with nail varnish, listick and eyeshadow at that age, but mad to have them applying full face make up when they're not even a teen. What for?

CountryCaterpillar Fri 07-Apr-17 22:46:20

Year 3 here. Some mothers and daughters have had their "colours done" and bought "correct" lipstick for their child. One does look lovley in photos but it just seems so unnecessary so young.

JacquesHammer Fri 07-Apr-17 22:46:35

I have a 10 year old. Does she wear make up out and about? No.

Does she like playing in the house and trying make up? Yes.

The only other time she wears make up is stage makeup for shows.

I don't mind her havin a play about - it's just another form of role play

Batghee Fri 07-Apr-17 22:48:10

to an extent i think it is. I wore some makeup at that age and that was 20 years ago.
I didnt wear it on a regular basis, just for fun. And the makeup was stuff like lipgloss and fun colours of nail varnish.
The worst thing i ever got was some blue waterproof mascara that wouldnt wash off for ages and i got into trouble at school for it!!
I wish those youtube videos had been around when i was young haha because i looked an utter state because i had no idea how to put on makeup.

Now days i wear very little makeup except on special occassions.
I just wouldnt worry about it too much because i think its just a rite of passage. It doesnt mean your daughter will end up being obsessed with makeup for the rest of her life.

leccybill Fri 07-Apr-17 22:51:10

Depends on the area I think.

I work in one very urban and deprived area where girls as young as Y3 are very into how they look. Perfect rows of braids with matching ribbons (must take hours), lip gloss, shaped brows. By Y5 it's contouring and talk of Mac and Urban Decay.

I work in a high school in another area where a small minority are into make-up, hair and beauty but the majority aren't bothered. We had non-uniform day house week and it was scruffy jeans and hoodies all the way. I loved it smile

mommy2ash Fri 07-Apr-17 22:52:07

My dd is ten. She doesn't wear make up. None of her friends wear it either.

Rescuepuppydaft2 Fri 07-Apr-17 22:52:33

I agree about you tube, my ds and dd are banned for that reason, unless we have pre watched the video and put it on and off for them.

I would say that for my local school yes its common, I feel very uncomfortable with it especially as girls now believe they need make up on to be beautiful. My seven year old dd would love to wear make up, I allow her to wear make up in the house if she is dressing up (tinted lip balm and sparkly eye-shadow but certainly no foundation or mascara etc). However she has to wash it off before she goes out. I have no problem with dd wearing nail varnish though.

My ds turns 10 this year and girls he was at nursery with recently had their pictures of one of the girls party on Facebook (D's does not have social media, I am friends with their Mothers). I nearly fell over when I saw them, they had proper make up on, contouring and everything. And they were dressed in sequin hot pant jumpsuits and high heels. Yet there was a bouncy castle in the background. I found the contrast frightening, they are still so young!!!!!!

My dd doesn't go to the local school (we moved her)her school is much smaller with only a small amount of pupils in the school. Dd's new friends are sporty and active like she is and she has gone from trying so hard to be like the popular girls who wear make up and fancy clothes. To being more into horse riding. active sports and being the tomboy she felt she had to suppress at the other school.

user1491572121 Fri 07-Apr-17 22:52:47

Worra that's what parental controls are for.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with makeup. As long as it's just playing with it at home. I experimented with it from this age and I was born in the early 70s. I'm 44 now and barely wear any. I'm still a Feminist.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Apr-17 22:54:42

I don't have girls but I used to be one grin

Therefore I can't get sad about 9 and 10yr olds getting interested in makeup.

They also often start to show an interest in fashion, pop music and lots of other things.

Twoevils Fri 07-Apr-17 22:55:29

Mine doesn't, absolutely not interested at all. Far more fascinated by the latest scars and scrapes on her knees.

However dropping her off for the last school disco I was a bit taken aback by the level of prepping many of the other girls had undertaken.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Apr-17 22:57:16

Parental controls don't really work on Youtube.

A child could (for example) just type in the name of a local area or school and stumble across a nasty gang fight.

cuirderussie Fri 07-Apr-17 22:57:57

My girl likes lip balm (she has a collection) but I think it's more about the fruity flavours than anything. The girls in her class collect and swap them, it seems harmless enough. Not make-up though, far too young.

isupposeitsverynice Fri 07-Apr-17 22:59:21

It might be normal but it's shit. A ten year old girl who thinks she needs to wear make up has been massively let down by the people who should be shoring up her self esteem. My daughter will sure as fuck not be wearing make up at that age, even for "fun" at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now