Talk

Advanced search

To think an IVF competition is really distasteful?

(8 Posts)
SparklyPantaloons Fri 07-Apr-17 16:58:44

Just that really. I bought a shit trashy 'real life' magazine yesterday and the big competition was where you had to write about your struggle with infertility (which they print a small excerpt from) and I guess the 'best' one gets a free round of IVF?

Just sits uncomfortably with me, like it's exploiting desperate couples for entertainment. And the competition aspect of how much sadder or more unfortunate or more deserving these couples can be than each other, seems really crass.

AIBU to think it shouldn't have made it past the editors desk?

IrishTwin Fri 07-Apr-17 17:15:27

Agreed! Like who's story's the most tragic/ who deserves it more! The people in these stories where clearly desperate and in need!

SparklyPantaloons Fri 07-Apr-17 19:25:20

Yes, there were ones who'd had loads of miscarriages and IIRC one who'd recovered from cancer. How can any normal person look at those stories and go "ah yes, this person clearly deserves another chance at a child much more than this other person".

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 07-Apr-17 19:32:00

I read an article some years ago in a woman's mag about a woman making a plea for ivf donations - new dh but skint etc blah blah. .
The same woman who was my downstairs neighbour as a child - who's 2 ds were left home alone over and over. . My dm rang ss and eventually they were taken into care. . They don't care about ethics they just want a story. .

ALemonyPea Fri 07-Apr-17 19:49:39

I thought the same when I read the article in the same magazine Op. very distasteful.

SparklyPantaloons Fri 07-Apr-17 20:24:47

I did feel for some of them, you must be desperate to apply to something like that.

ALemonyPea Fri 07-Apr-17 21:18:38

Yes there were some sad stories.

Cutesbabasmummy Fri 07-Apr-17 21:43:53

The Sun dud this a few years ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: