Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to pour coffee over these people?

(18 Posts)
Loneliness17 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:12:54

I've been traveling for five hours today. I'm very tired. The only seat on this sodding train is in front of a couple with a toddler. She's facebooking on her phone, he's been on a call for two hours. Both are ignoring the poor kid who is obviously bored and so slamming the tip-up table into the back of my seat over and over again.

I've asked them twice to deal with it. The first time the mum murmured 'don't do that, X.' without looking up for her phone. The second time she asked me what she was meant to do. Child is probably under two. They have no toys or books with them. WIBU to get the toddler out of the way and pour my coffee over their selfish heads?

Disclaimer: I have ME and due to recent stress it's flared up to the point that I'm pretty much too tired to function (forgetting words, keys, left cash card in machine the other day). I'm about ready to keel over. Should I save the coffee for me??

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 16:14:22

Just keep telling them to stop the kid from doing that or ask to swap seats so you're behind them.

MimsyFluff Fri 07-Apr-17 16:15:48

Tell her and him to entertain their child

CakesAreBiscuitsToo Fri 07-Apr-17 16:16:11

God it would drive me batty. The last time I was trapped in similar situation I just gave in and entertained the toddler! I got out pens and paper and drew bits, etc. Otherwise I was going to lose it.

Similar situation- toddler trapped for hours with nothing to do - Mum sorting out her phone account and dad "working"

flowers OP

cakebrewwine whichever helps!

And biscuit for the parents!

harderandharder2breathe Fri 07-Apr-17 16:23:14

Poor you and poor child!

Floggingmolly Fri 07-Apr-17 16:25:44

Just keep repeating yourself. "Tell her to stop doing that" over and over till the ineffectual dimwit does something about it.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 07-Apr-17 16:25:59

IABU to hope that the mum is on Mumsnet on her phone & reads this thread...?

badabing36 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:27:15

Wankers, I hate seeing people ignoring their children.

PinkHeart59156816 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:30:48

Parents like this annoy the hell out of me you would not be unreasonable!

When she said what do you want me to do I'm sorry but I would of had to said " maybe parent you child and stop them slamming the back of my seat"

Yes toddlers make noise but no need at all to be kicking or slamming a fold up table. That's why when travelling with a toddler you take one/some of the following
IPad/ear phones
Colouring
Small toy
Snack and drink
Story book
Talk to them

If it continues so to stop seats so they are in front of you?
Each time the child does it say something to them

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 07-Apr-17 16:42:32

I have ME caffeine is really bad for our illness. Tip it over them.

SquinkiesRule Fri 07-Apr-17 16:48:04

Tell them to stop him again, and then say you have a phone entertain him!

Porpoiselife Fri 07-Apr-17 16:56:40

Tell them to stop their toddler from banging on your seat. if they say again 'what do you want them to do' suggest coming off their phone and actually dealing with their child!

choccyp1g Fri 07-Apr-17 17:08:00

It's probably too late, but ask to swap seats with one of the parents; you'll be sat next to annoying toddler, but at least then it's banging into their back and annoying them as well.

Darbs76 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:16:18

Can you move seats?

fourteenlittleducks Fri 07-Apr-17 17:22:03

Can you tell off the toddler? A stern 'stop doing that right now' and a scary look might deter him (or prompt the parents to do something).

I've had the same thing on trains, it's infuriating and very selfish of the parents

Loneliness17 Sat 08-Apr-17 14:01:34

Thanks all. Couldn't move seats as there were no spares in the carriage. Would have suggested swapping but theirs had no socket and the woman next to me had her laptop plugged in.
Now on train home in 'quiet carriage' - currently occupied by one family of four spread out over eight seats having a conversation at top volume and another family of four including a yelling toddler. At least three people on mobile phones.
I've asked them to be quiet and been told to fuck off. Conductor has asked them to be quiet, it settled down a bit and then started up again as soon as he left the carriage. WTF is wrong with people??? Am never leaving home again.

Loneliness17 Sat 08-Apr-17 14:12:01

Ah sorry, just saw that someone suggested swapping seats with one of the parents. Too tired to read / think coherently!!

Grilledaubergines Sat 08-Apr-17 14:17:13

So they've got something to entertain themselves but not the child? Selfish arses. Keep asking them. If it makes you a nuisance to them then even better, they might get the hint that their behaviour is causing you a nuisance.

Or keep telling the child 'no, please stop doing that.' Nothing seems to piss off some parents than their uselessness being highlighted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now