Talk

Advanced search

To think I should be able to go for a run without being sexually harassed or cat called at by pervy men?

(62 Posts)
Runny Fri 07-Apr-17 15:44:53

Today I decided to go outside for a run for the first time since about September. Over the winter months Ive been using the treadmill in the gym, but now the weather has started to improve again I was really looking foreward to getting out there again.

I'd been out for about 15 minutes and was she just making my way back home when some twat on a motorbike (with L plates no less, so probably young) comes speeding past me, making hand gestures and shouting obsceneties at me that I couldn't really make out exactly what they were. It had to be aimed at me as I was the only person around. I should add, I was wearing an over sized tatty T-shirt and tatty old running trousers so hardly flashing the flesh (not that it should matter, obviously), but this idiot still thought it was acceptable to hurl sexist abuse at me.

Being in the gym all these months I'd forgotten about this. It's one of the pit falls of being a woman out running. This is not the first time it's happened, Ive had men of all ages slow down their cars and leer at me, shout abuse, laugh etc. God knows how they'd feel if someone did the same to treir wife/mother/daughter/sister.

Honestly what gives them the right to behave like this? It make sure me want to just go back into the gym and stay there.

Bringbackpublicfloggings Fri 07-Apr-17 15:49:34

I've had the same.. So now I wait until it gets dark before I run because it makes me feel too self conscious to run in the daytime when I feel everyone is looking at me... even though they probably aren't.

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 15:53:17

Earphones in head down and ignore. If you didnt really hear or know what he was saying how do you know it was pervy though?

NotStoppedAllDay Fri 07-Apr-17 15:54:20

I've been a regular runner for years, never had this happen

Don't let it drive you into the gym!

Runny Fri 07-Apr-17 15:54:50

Id sort of expect this attitude from an older man, but for someone so young to cat call me like that... I honestly thought that atttiude was dying out.

CakesAreBiscuitsToo Fri 07-Apr-17 15:57:06

Are you running in London? Doesn't seem to happen regularly to myself or peers. We often run together though, maybethat helps.

Rainydayspending Fri 07-Apr-17 15:57:42

You'll get a lot of comments that the blessed shits are just misunderstood and not at all utterly vile. They are though. Utterly vile. If only they could be named and shamed. Stocks would be better.

Rainydayspending Fri 07-Apr-17 15:58:12

And so much disingenuous denial i notice hmm

thetemptationofchocolate Fri 07-Apr-17 15:59:49

Maybe get one of those gopro cameras and a tabard that says 'smile, you're on camera'?
Horseriders use this combo and I'd imagine the thought of being filmed whist being a twat might stop some of this abuse.
www.amazon.co.uk/Gizapaw-Hi-Viz-Riders-Camera-Tabard/dp/B00PP17QCY?tag=mumsnetforum-21

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Fri 07-Apr-17 15:59:50

Unfortunately this has happened to me eveyrtime I've gone for a run in daylight. And I feel it's too dodgy at night so I just don't go. Bastards.

CakesAreBiscuitsToo Fri 07-Apr-17 15:59:52

What do you mean denial? By other runners? I've genuinely not had it very frequently happen - sure the odd time and it's not acceptable behaviour at all. It's base and primitive.

Cinnamon12345 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:02:31

I painted my front fence, the whistles and calls were relentless. Never done anything out the front since,,

ConfessorKahlan Fri 07-Apr-17 16:06:36

You mean that you weren't flattered by his appreciation of your female form? You must hate men and be lesbian then. wink

Thirdload Fri 07-Apr-17 16:09:24

Ah it's awful. I frequently get the loud beeping just as they pass me and/or "Oi oi!" out of the open window, which makes me jump.
They are the worst on a sunny day, seems to bring out the idiots trying to look big and manly in front of their mates.

actino Fri 07-Apr-17 16:14:56

Used to happen ALL THE TIME when I was a teenager. Id get shouted at by roofers and honked at by cars. I flip them off and have told many a man to go f*ck himself

Runny Fri 07-Apr-17 16:15:33

No I don't live in London. I live in a very small minded, parochial, racist, homophobic shithole that's about 40 years behind London in terms of attitudes, so that might go some way towards experience explaining it.

MandMand Fri 07-Apr-17 16:16:17

I seem to go through phases where I don't get catcalled, shouted or beeped at when I'm running for several weeks, and then for some reason it happens several times during one run. I hate hate hate it, but just tend to keep my head down and totally ignore them. As you say, these idiots would probably be outraged if anyone treated their girlfriend or sister like that.

ghostyslovesheets Fri 07-Apr-17 16:17:43

I've only ever been harassed by teens in the park - 'run Forest run' seems
to be their favourite thing to shout - doesn't bother me anymore

But no one should have to put up with sexist idiots - don't go back to the gym though

Oh and buy warm layers - running in winter is lovely

SunshineOutdoors Fri 07-Apr-17 16:18:34

I think I might have grown up where you live op grin

CakesAreBiscuitsToo Fri 07-Apr-17 16:19:06

Eh well the reason I asked about London is that I wonder if some of the density of population stops otherwise vocal folks from being outspoken! Not because I think the rest of the world is backwards outside of London.

Mighty big assumptions you have made there, OP. That's one big fucking chip on your shoulder.

CakesAreBiscuitsToo Fri 07-Apr-17 16:20:00

I assume you are being sarcastic. If not, my apologies and why'd you have to ask.

Runny Fri 07-Apr-17 16:24:09

Chip on my shoulder? How so? Because I'd like to go for a run in peace?confused

CakesAreBiscuitsToo Fri 07-Apr-17 16:27:17

No because I assumed you were being sarcastic about the backwardness of where you live!

Is it really that bad?

Of course you should be able to run without being verbally assaulted- it's appalling behaviour! They should be named and shamed as said upthread.

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Fri 07-Apr-17 16:30:45

This has never happened to me. Not sure why it's bothering me that it hasn't. Poor display of feminism from me!!

Runny Fri 07-Apr-17 16:39:54

No, it really is very parochial and insular here. I do wonder if it my experince would be different in somehwere more cosmopolitan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now