Talk

Advanced search

To expect most of my callus to be gone after a 60 quid pedicure?

(13 Posts)
jdoe8 Fri 07-Apr-17 14:53:47

I've had them twice in my life, other people have spoken about "feeling like walking on air" after having them done. But I've always been disappointed, I deliberately went to get all the callus scraped off but its just been smoothed a bit.

If I pick at my foot I can get chunks off sad

Whatjusthappenedexactly Fri 07-Apr-17 15:02:41

Maybe a chiropodist would be a better option. I think of a pedicure as a beauty treatment and a bit superficial . Treating a callous is a medical procedure which may need more that just a light buff.

Getabloominmoveon Fri 07-Apr-17 15:06:18

Yes, cosmetic pedicures can't use any cutting instruments, so you're never going to get rid of callouses, corns etc there. I go regularly to a chiropodist in Shuropody (national chain) and it's much less than £60 to come out with baby-soft feet. No nailvarnish though.

user1491572121 Fri 07-Apr-17 15:08:33

Was it a beautician or a chiropodist?

littlemissneela Fri 07-Apr-17 15:11:05

I went to Scholl a few years ago for treatment, and they said they only take off small amounts of any callous at any one time. I think its because the callous can come back too quickly if too much is taken off at once. Though that could be a way to make more money hmm

jdoe8 Fri 07-Apr-17 15:31:55

IT was a spa, im probably being totally U.

Getabloominmoveon - how much does it cost and how often?

littlemissneela - thats what they told me, but others seem to have had all the hard skin removed.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 07-Apr-17 15:36:49

You need to go to a podiatrist. They use an actual blade to remove all hard skin.

OlennasWimple Fri 07-Apr-17 15:40:37

Pedicures remove hard skin, but only the normal bits and bobs that most people get from every day life. They don't remove actual callouses or corns

SweetChickadee Fri 07-Apr-17 15:43:51

I went to a podiatrist once and was very alarmed when the scalpel came out grin

IME pedicures will buff off a bit of dead skin and are fine for upkeep if you go regularly, but sounds like you might need a bit more of an intensive treatment.

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 15:45:19

Yep you need a chiropodist/podiatrist usually £40 for the first session. A pedicure is a nice spa treatment but its not going to solve that problem.

Whathaveilost Fri 07-Apr-17 15:50:32

Funny enough ive been to the chiropodist this morning. She spent an hour an10 mins on my feet. I had a combination of callouses , split heels and picked nails (nice eh?)
She used a scapel, a rough skin remover machine and a few other pieces of equipment. My feet look amazing!! £28.50.

I used to have a beautician but my feet were much more challenging than they could handle.

Definitely make an appointment with your local chiropodist!

SheSaidHeSaid Fri 07-Apr-17 15:55:02

A pedicurist should never remove all your hard skin, they're not trained to do that and don't have the equipment to do it either. I used to be one, so I know.

You need to bear in mind as well that, if you do go to someone properly trained and have it done, it can sometimes be a little sore or uncomfortable to walk after as your hard skin is there for a reason.

Getabloominmoveon Fri 07-Apr-17 16:06:21

jdoe8 I buy a card for multiple treatments and it works out at around £37.00 per treatment. I am in the South of England though, so maybe rates differ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now