Talk

Advanced search

To share a healthy dairy free cream egg recipe that beats Mondelez's low quality stuff

(38 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Fri 07-Apr-17 14:29:36

This recipe i made last night after seeing on Pinterest. They dont taste the same as normal cream eggs - they are much better imo. I used dark chocolate and just a bit of honey so there is only a fraction of the sugar in there. Dd is loves them also.

It's a shame as i used to love cream eggs but they were always a bit sickly but now i think they've really changed the recipe to add more sugar.

MumW Fri 07-Apr-17 14:36:09

Pity DD is allergic to nuts as they sound lovely.

On the subject of Cadbury's and recipes, anyone else think the new recipe for their instant Highlight drink no longer tastes of chocolate but just sickly sweet?

MongerTruffle Fri 07-Apr-17 14:37:44

MumW

Cashews aren't nuts.

brexitstolemyfuture Fri 07-Apr-17 14:43:34

Cashews are tree nuts i thought.

Sorry i didn't word my aibu properly i was meaning to bitch about cadburys really as they read this site often .

I've not had highlights since the 90s, horrible low calorie artificial stuff then. Are they all low cal?

MumW Fri 07-Apr-17 14:44:10

Cashews aren't nuts.
Doesn't matter what they are, she still reacts to them and hazlenuts, walnuts, brazil nuts.
Fine with peanuts and almonds but she's been told to avoid those too.

RedSandYellowSand Fri 07-Apr-17 14:51:37

@MumW the suggestions at the bottom are to use sunflower seeds in place of cashew nuts. Can your daughter eat sunflower seeds, and the rest of the ingredients?

ageingrunner Fri 07-Apr-17 14:59:07

Thanks op I might try this. I'm toying with the idea of going vegan at some point this year.

MongerTruffle Fri 07-Apr-17 16:12:09

brexitstolemyfuture

Cashews are the seeds of the cashew apple.

JovialNickname Fri 07-Apr-17 16:36:21

They look really nce and I'm sure they taste good too.

However the link says it's a vegan recipe. Why would vegans want to painstakingly recreate eggs? Surely it's promoting something they're steadfastly against! All seems rather weird if you're making these for vegan reasons / principles.

SandInYourToes Fri 07-Apr-17 17:49:25

They sound amazing.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm vegan and have zero issue with making something into an egg shape... Just the same as I have no issue with making anything into a burger shape. It's not 'promoting' eggs in the slightest haha, how strange!

HelloFreedom Fri 07-Apr-17 18:07:43

Well if they have honey in they're not vegan...so not sure how that's relevant.

TimeIhadaNameChange Fri 07-Apr-17 18:17:38

The recipe doesnt contain honey.

CaoNiMartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 18:33:59

What rare magic is this! Make creme eggs, you say? I might have to give this a try.

CantChoose Fri 07-Apr-17 18:38:03

While I do know what they're getting at, describing a recipe full of maple syrup as 'sugar free' gives me the rage...

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 19:03:30

They say there's no refined sugar but surely the chocolate has refined sugar, even if it's dark?

MumW Fri 07-Apr-17 22:30:25

Sunflower seeds are ok so long as they aren't processed on a production line that also handles nuts.
Might just have to give it a go.

TaraCarter Fri 07-Apr-17 23:13:16

However the link says it's a vegan recipe. Why would vegans want to painstakingly recreate eggs? Surely it's promoting something they're steadfastly against! All seems rather weird if you're making these for vegan reasons / principles.

Why?

Ethical opposition to the birds' egg industry or opinions on the healthiness of eating bird eggs have no particular relation to people's feelings on:
a) the taste of chocolate
b) eating chocolate that has been placed in any particular shape of mould.

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 08-Apr-17 09:34:13

You're welcome ageingrunner, I'm not vegan (well i used honey for a start as maple syrup is not in budget!) But i do try to limit my dairy as the health, welfare and environmental benefits are pretty big.

Jovia I'm sure you didn't mean it, but that one of the most cliché vegan questions.

Trills Sat 08-Apr-17 09:52:34

Yes, YABU to share this in AIBU when there is a perfectly good Recipes section for sharing recipes.

DoorwayToNorway Sat 08-Apr-17 12:04:57

A nut is a single seed so allergies to certain nuts can also show up with certain seeds. Cashew have one seed that is attached to the bottom of the fruit, therefore it's probably actually ok to call it a nut in the food sense. They are also poisonous unless they are roasted for at least an hour. So cashew nuts are not fresh and require a lot of preparation and even then they will cause severe reactions in some people.

SuperSheepdog Sat 08-Apr-17 12:10:04

Sounds great. I agree Cadbury is rubbish now, their chocolate tastes bland and oily, with no flavour. I prefer Mars chocolate by a long way.

Addley Sat 08-Apr-17 12:12:23

CantChoose I'm a type 2 diabetic and the number of "no sugar" recipes clogging up the internet that are jammed with maple syrup or honey or date sugar or fucking agave nectar (no, agave nectar is NOT an acceptable food for people who need to control their sugars) drives me to distraction.

Addley Sat 08-Apr-17 12:15:36

Search for no sugar cheesecake:

Result 1

7 tablespoons of honey!

Addley Sat 08-Apr-17 12:17:39

(Also, the base is made with graham crackers so it's not even free of refined sugars.)

Ceic Sat 08-Apr-17 13:28:39

There are loads of make-your-own cream egg recipes out there - go have a ball on Pinterest!

I think that the vegan one in the OP is just a vegan cheesecake mix in a chocolate mold. When I made vegan cream eggs (long before it was a thing) mine were full of sugar - bad bad sugars. grin

@Addley - agree with you 100%. All these supposedly-healthy recipes full of sugar-loaded buzzword-friendly alternatives - it's the coconut oil that magics away all that sugar. hmm Gah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now