Talk

Advanced search

To be terrified before ultrasounds?

(16 Posts)
patronsaintofglocks Fri 07-Apr-17 12:59:30

Hi, I'm quite new to mumsnet so please go easy on me.

I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my first baby. So far I've been blessed with a very easy pregnancy, little sickness but quite a lot of tiredness.
I've gained weight but as a size 18/20 it's not very obvious.
I've had three scans already, a very early one at 8 weeks to check if the pregnancy was progressing well, another after a mild electric shock and my dating scan at 11+7.

I have another private scan booked for next Saturday to check the sex and I'm very excited but also terrified. Irrationally terrified.
I am always so so afraid that when they go to scan me, they won't find a heartbeat or something will be very wrong.

I know it's irrational but I'm so anxious, and have been previously diagnosed with depression, anxiety and a mood disorder.

Has anyone else felt this way?

Thank you for listening.

NavyandWhite Fri 07-Apr-17 13:02:28

You don't have to have the scan next week. Finding out the sex isn't a necessity. If you're that nervous cancel it. I'm confused to why you're so worried when you've already had 3 scans?

isupposeitsverynice Fri 07-Apr-17 13:04:15

Yes! I was terrified before every scan with both of mine. It probably comes from being a bit anvxious generally, I'm also like that.

patronsaintofglocks Fri 07-Apr-17 13:05:00

Hi.

I know the sexing scan isn't necessary but I would rather be reassured by seeing and hearing a heartbeat, than just cancelling the scan.

I was just hoping someone could give me some reassurance and/or share similar fears.

patronsaintofglocks Fri 07-Apr-17 13:06:09

Thank you, isuppose- i was curious if others have felt the same.

Areyoufree Fri 07-Apr-17 13:06:23

I think it's fairly normal to be terrified. I was always convinced they wouldn't see a baby - even when the thing was kicking me in the ribs! It's the bit of pregnancy that no-one talks about - the awful fear and worry. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any better after the baby is born, so it might be worth looking into some coping strategies (meditation/self-hypnosis CDs helped me).

passthecremeeggs Fri 07-Apr-17 13:06:52

Totally normal and very common! I'm not an anxious person at all and i still got worried before all of mine. It'll get better once you're feeling the baby moving all the time - before that time the scan is the only real way to know all is still ok.

NavyandWhite Fri 07-Apr-17 13:07:20

Sorry, it's not the actual scan you're nervous about but the what ifs?

Hopefully your previous scans should reassure you that everything is as should be?

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Apr-17 13:08:20

It's normal to be apprehensive. It's not normal to be terrified.
Are you seeking treatment for your anxiety, depression and mood? You need to be stable before the baby arrives.

AlwaysSpellingMyName Fri 07-Apr-17 13:08:38

I know how you feel. With DS2 I was terrified every scan. And I had 8 scans in total (complicated pregnancy). By the end of the scan I felt so much better and reassured so I'm sure it's normal to feel some anxiety beforehand.

Congrats flowers

NinaMarieP Fri 07-Apr-17 13:09:07

I was pretty terrified before my 12 week scan and again before my 20 week one. My DP didn't really understand but I was managing to convince myself that something would be wrong. Everything was just fine, though! I thought I'd be more relaxed at 20 weeks but I wasn't really. I could feel him moving but my worries just turned to spina bifida and things like that.
If you're really struggling, maybe don't do this extra scan. As someone else has said it's not necessary and you could find out the sex at the 20 week scan instead.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Fri 07-Apr-17 13:09:14

I also have depression and anxiety amongst other issues and I made myself ill worrying before every scan with my DD, it drove my dp mad but the scans were worth it for the few days relief afterwards, knowing my baby was fine. If it is any consolation I found it got easier once I could feel her moving regularly, hopefully that helps you too! (dd was fine when she was born)
flowers congratulations on your little one.

SparklyMagpie Fri 07-Apr-17 13:11:51

I never had any early scans but I remember at my 12 week scan ( turned out I was 1p and a half weeks) feeling so anxious an scared they wouldn't pick up the heartbeat, and also anxious at my 20 week scan although I could feel my son's kicks. I think it's normal to feel anxious beforehand. You've had a few scans already so should reassure you a little

Have to admit I agree with Areyoufree I was more anxious after having my son, an I wish somebody would have told me about that, think it would be best to look into coping strategies now. It's always going to be abit of a roller coaster,but I wouldn't change it for the world. I've calmed down so much an my son has just turned 20 months. So much more laid back now though

Look into some apps OP

FaithAgain Fri 07-Apr-17 13:11:55

It's understandable to be nervous. However if your anxiety is this extreme, given the previous history, have you talked to your midwife?

SparklyMagpie Fri 07-Apr-17 13:13:51

*10 and a half weeks pregnant not 1p

patronsaintofglocks Fri 07-Apr-17 13:27:09

Hi again. Thanks for all your replies.

I am medicated and in treatment for my mood disorder and anxiety. I cope very well on a day to day basis.
Pregnancy has given me a whole new level of anxiety though, but I am trying to stay calm and just go with the flow, so to speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now