Talk

Advanced search

Returning to school?

(8 Posts)
user7298922193 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:41:32

I became pregnant with DD while still in university and was unable to finish.

Since having her DH and I have moved to UK from abroad, we got married, and had DS. My DH has been building his career and we have had a number of moves in order for him to get ahead in the business.

With no degree and no leg to really stand on here in the UK I have been the SAHM for our kids. I absolutely love spending time with my kids and being able to be at home with them. However, I feel like I have so much potential to be successful in my own life and career and want to go back to school to finish a degree.

I imagine it would have to be online classes etc as we wouldn't be able to afford the childcare while I went to class. I know we would also struggle a bit if we had to pay for classes.

AIBU to consider this? Should I just be happy where I am?

Amockingjayhey Fri 07-Apr-17 12:16:12

You are absolutely not being unreasonable!!!!!!

If you want to study, do it!!!!

uglyflowers Fri 07-Apr-17 12:22:49

Open University?

user7298922193 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:11:08

It just makes me anxious because we struggle with money every month. And I don't want to put the family in a tough spot just for my happiness sad

Camomila Fri 07-Apr-17 13:27:21

You're happiness is important too, you are just as important as your dh and dc.

And if you need to justify it to yourself via your dc, then think of all the positives they may get once you have your degree....e.g. More money if you get a good job, more likely to be able to help with school work when they are older, you'll be able to help them with ucas forms, etc etc.

There is still some funding available for student parents if you look farm enough.

PaperdollCartoon Fri 07-Apr-17 13:28:43

Are you from an EU country? You could get student loans to pay for the Open University

user7298922193 Fri 07-Apr-17 14:39:40

Thanks for the replies! I'm not from an EU country so I'm not sure if I would qualify for any free courses or anything like that.

I was feeling really guilty after expressing that I wanted to do something else to my DH but these replies helped me see it's not selfish at all.

Now does anyone know of universities that offer online/evening courses? smile

Amockingjayhey Fri 07-Apr-17 14:40:41

You are a member of your family and your happiness is as important as anyone elses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now