Talk

Advanced search

To put my trainers in the washing machine?

(16 Posts)
ScaredyCat42 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:57:15

OK this isn't strictly an AIBU but I can hear disturbingly loud bangs from the downstairs washing machine and even the dog has come up looking concerned. I suppose I am looking for re assurance that all will be ok and my worryingly old washing machine can take this kind of assualt... I take it it's quite normal to put trainers in the washing machine?
Oh hell it's now on fast spin...

Kiroro Fri 07-Apr-17 09:58:41

There is often a special 'sports shoes' cycle... I might not have put it on a super fast spin but it will prob be ok

user1489261248 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:58:49

I think your washing machine will be OK, but I don't know how sturdy/heavy your trainers are.

Not sure if your trainers will be OK though! shock

Biffsboys Fri 07-Apr-17 09:59:56

You should put them in with towels to stop them banging about

pombal Fri 07-Apr-17 10:04:42

It'll be fine, I do this a lot.
Look forward to your lovely, clean trainers smile

NeonGod73 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:10:18

Your trainers might get ruined. The glue that holds them together can dissolve. But it all depends on the cycle you use and the temperature. The washing machine will be fine. It can take so much assault.

SheSaidHeSaid Fri 07-Apr-17 10:12:33

I often put mine in the washing machine, they'll be fine and so will the machine itself

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Apr-17 10:15:00

You should put them in with towels to stop them banging about

That's a really good idea shock

I normally put them inside a single duvet cover.

ScaredyCat42 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:43:59

Thank you! I wish I'd thought of the towels before I merrily threw the trainers in but I'll know for next time smile. Thankfully both trainers and washing machine appear to have come through this unscathed and my trainers look shine new yey! Now what else can I chuck in there?....grin

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Apr-17 10:46:29

Chuck the kids in

With a few towels to stop them banging about

BarbaraofSeville Fri 07-Apr-17 11:26:40

Scaredy

I don't think there's as much scope for washing machine experimentation as there is with dishwashers, where you can put all manner of non crockery/cutlery/cooking items in there, but others may come up creative suggestions.

Our doormats are machine washable, as is the shower curtain. That's about as 'out there' as I can think of right now.

RubertRoo Fri 07-Apr-17 11:26:53

I decided to wash 4 pairs the other night.

My poor dog was cowering in the corner... it sounded horrendous.

Will definitely use towels in future - I hadn't thought of that

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Apr-17 11:55:58

I would imagine the banging about, wouldn't do the plastic arms inside the drum much good eventually.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 07-Apr-17 11:59:19

I occasionally put my running trainers in for a cold 15 minute rinse to freshen them up after a phase of muddy/ soggy runs to stop them smelling too stagnant. I don't want to damage them for the sake of my joints!

heron98 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:59:41

I put mine in when they are particularly muddy on a short wash. They bang around a lot but nothing to worry about.

WashBasketsAreUs Fri 07-Apr-17 12:42:26

Just don't put them in the tumble drier, they really make a row then (speaking from experience there!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now