We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Broken safety gate - who to replace?

(17 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:45:48

My 2.5y old son goes to my parents 3 days a week. They have a safety gate on the stairs and one in the door leading to the kitchen.

At home we rarely use the safety gate to our stairs now as he can climb the stairs confidently. We have a room divider across our kitchen (baby dann style gate system) as our lounge and kitchen is open plan. We close the gate when we are cooking and he doesn't come in the kitchen at that time. At other times, we don't mind him going in the kitchen, although he rarely does.

My parents have 2 dogs. A labradoodle who is the size of a horse(!) and a springer pup. The gate across their kitchen is a wall mount style one like this My Mum mentioned the other day that the bar nearest the hinged part of the gate was broken and had come away rom the piece that goes across. It wasn't affecting the functionality of the gate so I said just keep an eye on it. She commented that she didnt know how it had broken but that her labradoodle quite often runs into it/leans on it when it's closed and this could have done it. Her springer pup has now figured out she can jump the gate. She is usually kept in the kitchen when my son visits but now can jump over into the lounge.

This morning my mum text asking whether we still use the gate that comes into our lounge because another bar has broken on her kitchen gate. I suggested she use the one off her stairs as my son is fine with stairs now. I also asked did she really need one on the kitchen now ad she said she would prefer to have one if she is cooking to keep my son out and away from hot things.

Question is, who pays for a replacement? Part of me ones think we should as it's for our son. Part of me thinks she should because it appears her dogs have broken it.

NonsensicalNonsense Fri 07-Apr-17 09:52:30

Up to you. Do you pay them to look after your child 3 days a week? They are saving you a fortune, might be nice to pay for the gate. I would.

londonrach Fri 07-Apr-17 09:54:49

You id say if you want her to use one.

NotStoppedAllDay Fri 07-Apr-17 09:54:49

You!

ladyvimes Fri 07-Apr-17 09:56:45

You, definitely.
I assume they provide free childcare three days a week?

witsender Fri 07-Apr-17 10:00:24

You.

supermoon100 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:02:17

Definitely you! She only has it because of you! And 3 days a week is awfully generous

DearMrDilkington Fri 07-Apr-17 10:02:38

You

abbsisspartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 10:04:27

Get one they can take off when your d's isn't there it reduces the risk of the dogs breaking it

LIZS Fri 07-Apr-17 10:07:42

2 1/2 yo cab still fall down stairs. Just replace it yourself if you need her to keep him safe. Aren't they reasonably cheap anyway ( less than a day's paid childcare) .

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 07-Apr-17 10:08:08

If she wouldn't have it there other than for.your son then you should replace it. But if she gives you free childcare.I'm. Astounded that you even have to ask. You can get them for a fiver on gumtree

Notso Fri 07-Apr-17 10:10:46

If you don't use your stair gate why not just give her that one?

pilotswife Fri 07-Apr-17 10:14:49

You ! Is this serious ????!

cjt110 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:15:29

I;m asking because she was saying she would replace and at £15, or however much they are, I'd feel pretty mean.

Thanks all.

MrsGB2225 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:16:36

You should replace

cjt110 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:18:35

Just found an add for 3 on gumtree for £15! I really didnt realise you can get them so cheap!

DianaMitford Fri 07-Apr-17 10:37:24

No - she should!!! Clearly. If her dogs broke it. What's to stop them breaking a gate a week??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now