Talk

Advanced search

To tell her to pay the full amount

(72 Posts)
zippyswife Thu 06-Apr-17 21:21:29

I normally stay clear of AIBU but really can't tell if I'm in the wrong here. So here goes.

I've just sold something (an item of clothing- not heavy) on eBay. As soon as it sold I received a message from the buyer saying that the postage is too much and I can post it in a large envelope and amend the invoice.

As far as I'm concerned it's not that steep £3.95 and this was on the original listing. So it's not like I haven't been transparent.

So AIBU to tell her to forget about it then if she's unwilling to pay the stated price and just relist it.

I don't sell much on eBay for fear that it's more trouble than it's worth!

Cocklodger Thu 06-Apr-17 21:24:47

YANBU.
Whether it's steep or not is irrelevant you were wholly transparent so aren't being U. I'd relist

Nomoreworkathome Thu 06-Apr-17 21:25:37

Tell her postage stands ands if she makes a fuss re-list it. She knew the P&P when bidding.

user1489179512 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:28:08

Report her to eBay too.

zippyswife Thu 06-Apr-17 21:28:58

Great. Thank you. I'll do that now. It's the principle of it.

HeirOfNothingInParticular Thu 06-Apr-17 21:29:07

Ebay are really unreasonable about postage now, they suggest a price which covers the actual cost, but now they their 10% fee of postage too. What is the approx weight/size of your parcel?

SavoyCabbage Thu 06-Apr-17 21:29:15

How much is it costing you for postage and packaging? Could you break it down for her to keep her face straight.

MrsMoastyToasty Thu 06-Apr-17 21:30:18

Tell her that the Royal mail dictates the cost of postage and not you.

FairytalesAreBullshit Thu 06-Apr-17 21:31:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

honeyroar Thu 06-Apr-17 21:33:48

Depends on what it is. Yes you've advertised it as £3.95 postage, but if it will only cost £1.10 to send as a large letter I'd think you were taking the Mick too.

VioletPeggs Thu 06-Apr-17 21:35:31

Tell her to sod off.

Trills Thu 06-Apr-17 21:38:20

She could see the postage you were charging when she chose to buy it.

MimsyFluff Thu 06-Apr-17 21:39:37

Off subject but I love you name grin

CharliesSister Thu 06-Apr-17 21:41:31

Depends on whether you're making a significant profit on the postage. It needs to realistically take into consideration the packaging costs but if its only going to be £1 to post then you're being cheeky to charge £4.

HalfCarrot Thu 06-Apr-17 21:42:44

It sounds a lot of postage but she knew what you were asking for when she bid. I would cancel the sale as she sounds like she could turn into a problem buyer.

sooperdooper Thu 06-Apr-17 21:43:56

Postage covers expenses too, so travel to the post office, your time, packaging etc - and she knew how much it was tell her to like it or lump it then relist and report her to eBay

Tiredbutfuckingfine Thu 06-Apr-17 21:46:27

Really depends as if it won't fit as a "large letter" then you have to pay three quid odd regardless of weight, it's the size that's the problem. Plus you pay a 10% fee to eBay of the cost of the item, and a few percent to PayPal. And the packing materials, schlep to the post office.

I underestimated postage recently, I didn't ask people to pay me more to cover my mistake

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 06-Apr-17 21:46:34

YANBU.

The postage was quoted up front. If she didn't like it the time to ask was before she bid, not after the sale had closed.

I assume postage is marked up as it isn't just the cost of stamps, but the packing materials, transport to the post office etc. that need to be covered too. If she doesn't like postage costs then on line shopping is probably not for her.

Hefzi Thu 06-Apr-17 21:51:45

If you cancel the sale, put her on to your blocked bidder list.

I've been posting things today - if it was £3.95 for signed for second class, that's fair (assuming it needs to go signed for, because of value, or because you want to double check when it's arrived etc); if it was first class signed for she's got a bargain, and if it's first not signed for, it's still fair enough, really. But as PP have said, she bid knowing what you were asking for postage, so it's cheeky to ask for a change after.

Mind you, I have my dispatch set to 5 working days, sending second class SF (on the particular thing I sold today, postage included): for some reason, I caved to my buyer's demand I post ASAP so that it would arrive before next weekend - and upgraded to first class also hmm

Actually, I know the reason: I didn't want her to ding my postage stars, affecting my ability to sell in the future - I have sworn, though, this is my positively-last-listing-on-eBay, so it shouldn't matter even if she does confused Still, better 50p in RM's pocket than mine, I suppose angry

228agreenend Thu 06-Apr-17 21:52:26

First class post is £3.30 and a Jiffy bag/plastic mail envelope can easily cost £70p.

Sometimes, if I find the postage a lot cheaper, I'll out in a stamp or two in the parcel,to cover the difference. However, remeber that eBay take a % of the cost, plus allow for packaging costs.

expatinscotland Thu 06-Apr-17 21:54:08

YANBU

haveacupoftea Thu 06-Apr-17 21:55:07

YANBU.

228a the pound shop does 5 jiffy bags for a fiver if you use a lot of them smile

kissmethere Thu 06-Apr-17 22:00:23

Yanbu, a small parcel is £3.85 first class and £2.85 second class. Depending on weight that is standard. She could also see postage price before buying so she should have asked before buying.

CinnamonSwirlGirl85 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:01:07

YANBU. Postage costs are really high now and £3.95 for an item of clothing sounds pretty reasonable (especially if you factor in other potential costs e.g. Envelope, drive to a post office etc). I recently sold a very small item of clothing on eBay and the postage cost me something like £3.40. I'd listed it for much lower postage (as that's what eBay suggested) then had all their charges whacked on top 🙈.

At the end of the day, she knew the postage cost as you were upfront about it, so she's just being cheeky asking you to lower it (especially AFTER she's bid!).

zippyswife Thu 06-Apr-17 22:04:44

I don't sell regularly on eBay but the last lot of similar clothing items I posted were I'm sure something like £2.85. Given that eBay take 10% too i have to use sellotape and petrol to the post office and parking in town even if I use an old recycled Jiffy bag it's still near enough £3.95.

The thing is she knew the postage price before she bid so she should have considered that then.

Thank you for your replies. I'll be replying to her now saying that the postage price will not be altering.

And thank you to the seriously kind pp who offered to pay the postage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now