Talk

Advanced search

Home Care / Emergency plans

(11 Posts)
FairytalesAreBullshit Thu 06-Apr-17 21:14:45

We pay a small fortune to one of these companies who covers heating, hot water, drainage, plumbing, appliances too I think. I had the heating on today and didn't notice anything. DH gets home from the kids activity and gives me a round of fucks for not noticing the boiler had broke.

This cover is like the Platinum package, sold where an engineer will be out in 4 hours of an emergency. We've not heating or hot water. As both kids had been doing sports this was a bit of a bugger, as the showers are the ones that immerse you in water, can't remember the proper term, but it's all connected to hot water, which we don't have.

I feel the cold really bad, so I've got 3 layers (which is usual) plus my 3 in 1 coat. I know we could used the disabled persons clause to push on it. But DH called at 6pm, to be told it's really mild outside so no one will be here until tomorrow PM.

It wouldn't be that bad if we didn't pay a small fortune out each month to cover all this.

Is it unreasonable to expect someone out same day if you paid for a 24 hour emergency plan?

Just wondering what others think/know as DH is tempted to lower the package if it's not delivering what we were promised on the phone. I don't want some poor person feeling his wrath if this is to be expected. He has a skin condition where he uses special stuff, it flares when the weather is changing, so that's making him a bit more angry.

Lulukat Thu 06-Apr-17 21:25:06

No YANBU it's not a busy time of year for plumbers, you are paying for a service and expect to get what you have paid for.
I would ask for half my annual premiums back if I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon!

harderandharder2breathe Thu 06-Apr-17 21:34:34

Yanbu to expect the service you pay for to be provided

No hot water is an emergency at any time of year, even if they judge it too mild for no heating to be a major concern

Rainydayspending Thu 06-Apr-17 21:38:19

YANBU. I have a friend with a range of disabilities including very bad raynauds (sp?). Her cover is 24 hour and they appear to mean it. If they can't deliver, what's the point in paying them?!

TwattyMcTwatface Thu 06-Apr-17 22:12:30

But if he called them at 6, and they're coming tomorrow sometime in the afternoon, surely that would be within the 24 hours promised by the package? (Or does the 24 hour thing relate to someone at their end being available 24/7?)

Either way, I feel for you - it's been 7 years since I was without a boiler (for 3 weeks in January - thanks Martins!) and I can still feel it: at least it was just me, but it's a complete pita to have no hot water and no heating at this time of the year, mild or not.

FairytalesAreBullshit Thu 06-Apr-17 23:41:17

It was sold as if your boiler fails at 10pm at night, by having the top package someone should be with you in 4 hours, unless you specify that it isn't necessary.

We luckily have a water tank, after a bit of research discovered what the switch is for. A bit like old Emerson systems where electric heats the water. Better than nothing at the end of the day, thankful for having an airing cupboard with the insulated tank thing.

BackforGood Fri 07-Apr-17 00:08:29

It depends what it says in the small print about what is considered "an emergency".
Quite frankly, I'm with the company - I wouldn't call being without heating overnight in the lovely mild weather we are having "an emergency". You've still got electricity etc so could boil a couple of kettles to be able to get your dc clean, and you can stick a jumper on, or go to bed a bit earlier than usual and get under the quilt. Presumably your heating wouldn't be on overnight anyway.

FairytalesAreBullshit Fri 07-Apr-17 00:17:06

It is on overnight because I'm frankly freezing, but then like DH says I'll feel the cold more as I don't move. So I've got jeggings on over leggings, I've got blankets etc.

It was more the hot water issue.

What we were focussing on was the 24/7 4 hour call out policy. It's not the end of the world. I'm fully aware it's a luxury many don't have or can afford.

Whilst DH thinks I look crazy wearing my coat on top of it all. It is what it is and not much can be done.

Ollivander84 Fri 07-Apr-17 00:21:05

Not helpful re the problem but if cold, tuck everything in. So socks over trousers, tops into trousers. Yes you'll look daft but it's a lot lot warmer. Sleep on top of s blanket too as that helps

UnconventionalWarfare Fri 07-Apr-17 00:23:46

You will find the 4 hour call outs refer to things like burst pipes and breakdowns are 24 hour

FairytalesAreBullshit Fri 07-Apr-17 01:14:36

Thank you, I look a bit like the Michelin Man grin but I can't emphasise enough how much I feel the cold. Ironically I nearly bought another fleece throw the other day, but then deleted it thinking there'd be no need.

I guess you're right, luckily DH had calmed down before bed. I'm guessing the immersion thing worked. Thank God for old houses and snuggly water tanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now