Talk

Advanced search

to complain about this estate agent

(17 Posts)
housesellingrant Thu 06-Apr-17 20:08:30

Regular poster but name changed as outing
I am selling house, offer accepted all going through, we have vacated the property as it's a move across country and in rented. When one of the viewings took place we were still living in property and we got back and found door was left unlocked, wasn't happy mentioned it to estate agent and when we left I left keys with friend sp after any subsequent viewings they could go and check.
I found out from a neighbour a few weeks ago that the estate agent had shown the buyers around without my knowledge prior or after the event, wasn't happy and rang to complain and told wouldn't happen again.
I've have just checked my email now and at 17:10 I had a message telling me, not asking, that they were taking buyers round at 17:30.
The property is empty but I am concerned that I am responsible for the security and if anything has happened there then I am at risk.
DH thinks I should calm down, AIBU to be fuming?

Grilledaubergines Thu 06-Apr-17 20:10:14

I think you're being a little unreasonable. If they wait for responses from you they could miss out on taking potential buyers round. If you've entrusted the job of selling your property you need to let them get on with their job.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 06-Apr-17 20:10:59

Have you exchanged contracts? Buyer insures and assumes risk after exchange.

housesellingrant Thu 06-Apr-17 20:11:45

It's not potential buyers, we are exchanging tomorrow, so they would've know in advance both times

housesellingrant Thu 06-Apr-17 20:12:37

All the best, I thought that was after completion? But no we haven't exchanged yet

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:12:37

YABU. You want your house sold don't you?

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 06-Apr-17 20:15:27

It is a bizarre period of time where both the seller and the buyer have to hold buildings insurance!

If anything were to happen due to the agent being negligent (leaving door open and vandalism etc) then you have a claim against them. The buyers are getting excited and probably going to measure up, show parents etc. If they want to visit again just text the agent back saying - sure - remember to lock up please!!

Grilledaubergines Thu 06-Apr-17 20:19:51

Ok so you've not exchanged - yhe buyers probably just want to do a last view before they're committed. Not unreasonable.

highinthesky Thu 06-Apr-17 20:19:53

You would expect any decent agent that YOU are paying commission to to have the professionalism to manage these things smoothly. Isn't that just part of the service you are paying for?

Make this clear to the EA. They should have insurance should you need to counter-sue for damage.

housesellingrant Thu 06-Apr-17 20:20:40

Problem is i don't think I can trust them as it shouldn't have been left unlocked in first place, I am really really careful about it. Because we can't just pop back it has me stressed and cos we were so close to completion and they had already been round to measure up I got the keys back from my friend to leave there, so she can't check either.

Grilledaubergines Thu 06-Apr-17 20:26:03

Email them and tell them your friend will collect the keys they hold then.

The agents will be insured in any event.

housesellingrant Thu 06-Apr-17 20:34:18

Grilled aubergines, no its not unreasonable, my issue is with EA who should get in touch and ask and arrange with me not just go ahead, esp after I wasn't happy the other time.
I was there last week and happy to have done it then.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:41:06

I don't get your anger at all.

They shouldn't have left the door unlocked. That has been addressed. Now they're trying to facilitate the sale of your house and you're not happy. What's your problem?

housesellingrant Thu 06-Apr-17 20:53:14

We have the offer, what I am not happy is that they just go into house without letting me know so I can get someone to check, we are generally back every two/three weeks so could've been done near to when we can check the house is secure afterwards.
The first time after offer and before we had completely moved out all put belongings where in boxes in lounge including all our paperwork.
Seems you mainly agree with DH so I'm off for wine and calm down

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:04:59

But the estate agent aren't going round to your house for fun. They won't want to be there any more than you want them to be there! They've sold the house, they don't want to waste their time there. They're there because your buyers are insisting on it! You should be pleased they're working so hard for you.

Grilledaubergines Thu 06-Apr-17 21:19:40

I hear what you're saying house but honestly I think you're being a touch unreasonable, sorry confused.

Console yourself that you hopefully won't be selling again any time soon.

FairytalesAreBullshit Thu 06-Apr-17 21:25:59

I would feel concerned about security as I'm sure there's lots of hypothetical situations in your mind. Best of luck for the exchange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now