Talk

Advanced search

Is this a threat?

(97 Posts)
Veiledusername Thu 06-Apr-17 17:41:12

Name changed.

I just said to someone "Please don't make things more difficult, I've done what we agreed".

There response was:
"Oh I could make things very difficult for you". With the emphasis being on could.

They had raised their voice during the conversation but I can't remember if it was before or after this comment. I feel really shaken up.

ajandjjmum Thu 06-Apr-17 17:46:43

Is it someone who has some power over you?

SasBel Thu 06-Apr-17 17:48:12

I would feel threatened, if it is work do you have a HR department?

Veiledusername Thu 06-Apr-17 17:49:21

It was my GP. I was asking for a repeat prescription of my mental health medication.

NavyandWhite Thu 06-Apr-17 17:49:42

Sounds like they were threatening yes. Does this person know something about you that you wouldn't want someone else to know?

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 17:50:21

Wtf. OP, that's not right. Please write down what he said and submit as a complaint.

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 17:50:38

Or she

Amockingjayhey Thu 06-Apr-17 17:50:38

Wow. That seems very inappropriate to me.

Can you tell the practice manager what happened ??

You shouldn't feel threatened by your GP whether they meant it or not

VeryButchyRestingFace Thu 06-Apr-17 17:50:40

Very hard to comment when it's so vague.

Are they trying to blackmail you in some way?

ajandjjmum Thu 06-Apr-17 17:50:58

How/why could/would a GP make things very difficult for you. That sounds thoroughly unprofessional to me.

Dozer Thu 06-Apr-17 17:51:37

Sounds inappropriate, but what was the context?

You could always move GPs.

SailAwayWithMeHoney Thu 06-Apr-17 17:51:59

It does sound somewhat threatening, particularly if it left you feeling shakey and intimidated.

VeryButchyRestingFace Thu 06-Apr-17 17:52:10

Aaaaand..... just seen the update.

Time to complain, methinks. flowers

TheHiphopopotamus Thu 06-Apr-17 17:52:51

I think we need more context than that, tbh.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 06-Apr-17 17:53:06

It's hard to comment when you've given so little context.
I doubt a doctor would threaten you to be honest. Did you not agree with the doctor's opinion? Does the Dr want to reduce your dose or take you off your current prescription?

WildwestWind Thu 06-Apr-17 17:55:05

What did the dr say to make you respond "please don't make things more difficult"?

WelshMoth Thu 06-Apr-17 17:57:30

It doesn't sound appropriate.

Can I ask what it was you agreed on?

mycavitiesareempty Thu 06-Apr-17 17:59:01

Depends entirely on context.

CookieLady Thu 06-Apr-17 18:00:45

More context needed.

Veiledusername Thu 06-Apr-17 18:03:12

I can't actually just move GPs because my mental health support is linked to that GP. It's complicated.

I asked for my repeat medication and they asked when my final examination date is. I am currently signed off University due to them not signing a health related form to say I could return. They are going to sign me back the day before the year finishes. It has totally fucked everything up for me because I lost access to University support, facilities (gym, library etc.) and money. However, understood that these things occasionally happen and didn't complain about it at all.

The reason they want to know the date of my final examination is
I am being delisted from that surgery and the date has been agreed based on my last university examination. The date being confirmed in the next four weeks. If I continue at the University in September I was told I could stay on the GP list and finish the mental health support plan (two years to go).

I did explain I didn't know the date and the reply was along the lines of I don't feel happy you aren't telling me this, and I don't have to prescribe.

Cue me saying - please don't make this difficult.

And that response.

I have been to every appointment, stuck to the review dates, telephone appointment every four weeks and face to face appointment every 12 weeks (at GP suggestion - I was going to suggest 8 weeks). I have been taking my medication and been going to therapy.

TeacupsAndDaffodils Thu 06-Apr-17 18:06:46

We need more details about the whole conversation to get the context. Why would your GP threaten you? Could you see another GP at the practice for a second opinion?

TeacupsAndDaffodils Thu 06-Apr-17 18:11:39

Sorry, X post

Veiledusername Thu 06-Apr-17 18:12:32

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties We agree with everything normally. I don't want to be delisted if that is what happens and they know that (they have changed the rules on that and I don't think it's fair because it impacts mental health people very severely as it interrupts their treatment, but I have told them my views and they have told me it is how it is and so I am prepared to lose my treatment and have the interruption whilst I go to another referral etc.)

TeacupsAndDaffodils Thu 06-Apr-17 18:12:51

Can you contact the mental health team and raise your concerns?

Veiledusername Thu 06-Apr-17 18:13:55

Teacups Yes. I guess. I just wondered how other people would react to it (sometimes I don't trust my judgement)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now