Talk

Advanced search

Key for tenants

(59 Posts)
Meluzyna Thu 06-Apr-17 17:38:20

As we won't get much of a pension, a couple of years ago we invested in a new-build buy to let flat on a big city which is managed by agents on our behalf.
Our original tenant has just moved out and a couple has moved in. The flat is in a block with an underground garage. They have been given two front door keys for the flat one electronic pulse opener for the main door to the building and one garage electronic opener which opens both the garage and the main door to the building.
I've just had the agent on the phone - they are asking for another electronic thingy for the main door. But why do they need one? There are two of them and they have two devices which open the main door, one of which also opens the garage door. The garage door opens from the inside by detection so even if one of them walked off with the garage opener in their pocket, the other would still be able to get the car out - they'd just need to either wait for their partner to return with the gadget or ask a neighbour to open the garage door for them to get in - but there is a free open air car park on the opposite side of the street.
Am I being unreasonable to think this is not my problem and that it's up to them to sort themselves out? I haven't been able to find out yet how much it would cost to get a new electronic opener for the main door - but going by experience, probably not far off 100 quid as it's not the gadget itself which is expensive but the security procedure to get it coded for our building.

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 17:40:20

I'm confused - do they each have the requisite number of keys to get to their flat?

Or do they have to share certain keys? You need to provide them each with the keys if both their names are on the lease. You cannot expect them to share any of the keys.

scurryfunge Thu 06-Apr-17 17:42:36

It would be very inconvenient for them if they had to wait on neighbours or their partner to return surely the fact they have secure parking is reflected in their rent? You are being unreasonable for the sake of £100.

Cloudyapples Thu 06-Apr-17 17:43:27

Could they maybe have hired a cleaner who comes in during the day when they're not there?

PhilODox Thu 06-Apr-17 17:43:40

If there are two parking spaces, you need to provide two electronic fobs. Why would you not? They cannot use two spaces, practicably, without two fobs.

MongerTruffle Thu 06-Apr-17 17:43:46

If they are both on the tenancy agreement, then you have to provide them with an amount of keys which would mean that they do not have to wait for the other to get home in order for them to get to the property.

Sirzy Thu 06-Apr-17 17:44:34

I would expect two full sets of keys for any property.

VeryButchyRestingFace Thu 06-Apr-17 17:45:21

The garage door opens from the inside by detection so even if one of them walked off with the garage opener in their pocket, the other would still be able to get the car out - they'd just need to either wait for their partner to return with the gadget or ask a neighbour to open the garage door for them to get in

Well, that sounds a bit shit. confused

PhilODox Thu 06-Apr-17 17:46:32

Just re-read: you haven't even provided two fobs for the building? YABVVU. Two tenants, two sets of keys.
Personally, I would also buy a spare of each, in case of emergencies. A spare is cheaper than an emergency locksmith, I'm sure.

scurryfunge Thu 06-Apr-17 17:46:40

Is this a reverse and you are the poor old tenant with a seriously tight landlord?

Trifleorbust Thu 06-Apr-17 17:47:03

Sounds like you're prepared for them to be inconvenienced in their comings and goings from their own home. I am not surprised they don't share this willingness hmm

QuiteLikely5 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:47:41

yabu

codewaist Thu 06-Apr-17 17:48:02

Perhaps they and/or the agent have not realised that one fob opens the main door and the garage and think they have one of each. If they only have one parking space they only need one fob for the garage

specialsubject Thu 06-Apr-17 17:48:05

Two full sets of access keys to everything per property. Even if only one tenant.

Sorry -yabu.cough up. Make sure it is recorded how many keys you have given out.

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 17:49:06

So many people think that becoming a landlord is piss easy and just about taking the money every month. It's a job requiring work. It IS your problem OP, you need to provide the right amount of keys which you have not yet done. Don't be one of those landlords, please.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 06-Apr-17 17:49:12

You need to provide a full set of keys per tenant so one each for the garage

You can't expect them to faff about asking neighbours confused

harderandharder2breathe Thu 06-Apr-17 17:50:11

And as the landlord of course it's your problem! That's why they pay you money you fool

TheHodgeoftheHedge Thu 06-Apr-17 17:51:32

Perhaps they don't realise that the garage one does both?

allisbright Thu 06-Apr-17 17:53:39

As I understand it, both tenants have a fob that allows entry into the main building, but only one of these fobs also grants access to the garage.

Depending on the parking situation, I would provide another fob so that both tenants can access the garage independently of each other.

Even if there is only one parking space, I do not think it's unreasonable to have a third fob. This might be used for a cleaner, to have spare for guests when they're visiting or just kept with a nearby family member or friend in case of emergency.

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to request one. You might ask them to contribute towards the cost of a spare, but it is unreasonable to refuse outright.

Kiroro Thu 06-Apr-17 17:53:59

Are you having a fucking laugh?
Jesus, people like you should not be land lords.

You rent to two people. It is completely reasonable to supply them BOTH with garage fobs. FFS.

TheHiphopopotamus Thu 06-Apr-17 17:56:43

they'd just need to either wait for their partner to return with the gadget or ask a neighbour to open the garage door for them to get in

confused This can't be a serious post. It has to be a reverse.

If on the off chance it's not, of course you should pay for another fob.

Meluzyna Thu 06-Apr-17 17:58:35

There is only one parking space for the flat.
They both have a gadget which opens the door to the building and a key to the appartment. One of the gadgets which opens the front door also opens the garage access. As far as I am concerned I have given them two sets of keys.
They would only need to faff about getting someone else to open the garage door for them to get the car in if one of them had walked off with the fob which opens the garage door when they weren't using the car and their partner was.
The first thing the agent said to them on receiving the request was "You do realise that the fob which opens the garage also opens the main door, don't you?" But apparently they do know this.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 06-Apr-17 17:59:24

I'm glad my landlord isn't like you.

Trifleorbust Thu 06-Apr-17 18:00:15

In other words, you have left them in a situation where, potentially, one of them wouldn't have keys to the garage. I can't see how you justify that and, certainly, "I have given them two sets of keys" is, as regards the garage, a bald-headed lie.

PeterGriffinsPenisBeaker Thu 06-Apr-17 18:00:40

Get another fob and don't be a tightarse landlord.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now