Talk

Advanced search

Babies in schools

(5 Posts)
expatteacher Thu 06-Apr-17 17:03:03

I work in a private fee-paying international school. A teacher at my school keeps bringing in his infant child (12 months, or thereabouts) because he doesn't want to stay home with them when they are ill. It's been almost every day for a couple of weeks recently. I understand the baby just sits/lies quietly in their pram.

It's not a practical subject that he teaches and he is quite keen on chalk&talk, doesn't do a lot of walking around the classroom. Still.

This is bullshit, right? My boss won't say anything to him because as much as she can "see the issue", she is very conflict averse and also prefers this to repeated absences.

My stance is:-
It's impossible for him to do a good job of both caring for his child and teaching his classes, so he will be half-assing both
If an emergency comes up, who is his priority: the helpless baby or the children he is paid to be supervising? (and educating!)
It's mad unprofessional. If my GP had a baby on her lap when I came in for a checkup or my solicitor was rocking a cradle, I'd be pissed off/walk out.

Who is being unreasonable: me, my boss, him?

Wolfiefan Thu 06-Apr-17 17:05:21

No baby that she simply sits in a pram for the whole of a working day. Bullshit!
He can't possibly be doing his job properly and caring for a young child.
It's a health and safety nightmare. Fire alarm?
What about when the child passes the illness to the staff and other kids?
It's bonkers.

luckylucky24 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:05:22

This is ridiculous. If I was a parent at that school I would find this unacceptable.
YANBU

scurryfunge Thu 06-Apr-17 17:05:45

Could you suggest that every employee should bring their children to work and see how she reacts?

trinity0097 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:11:00

When I was young (mid 80s) if I was ill my parents (teachers in an independent school) were not allowed to take time off, so I had to go to school and sleep in a sleeping bag under the whiteboard, when I was a bit older I was allowed to be by myself in my dad's office.

Times have changed now, I wouldn't let staff bring in sick children to care for, only time they can bring them in is during inset days. I have before now organised gap students to care for the sick staff kids on site to have the parent in school teaching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now