Talk

Advanced search

..to consider paying for private orthodontics?

(9 Posts)
user1479426600 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:48:16

After seeing a private orthodontist a few days ago, I've been told I need a fixed brace (was previously told I needed invisalign, but apparently that's a no go) for 18-24 months, then surgery to move my jaw forward, and then another 6 months of fixed brace.

Apparently, due to being between 18-22 years old, I may be able to get the surgery on the NHS, and if so, possibly the braces, however I could choose to have the private braces instead, with the NHS surgery.

On researching the NHS traintracks versus the private Damon braces, the private ones seem a lot more subtle, take a shorter amount of time, and work more comfortably. However, of course it's a £4800 price tag. I have been saving for the jaw surgery since I was 15, so have the money, but I'm still a poor student and really I could use the money in the future towards a car, deposit, other sensible things!

Am I being unreasonable to consider private braces, for, to be honest, my concerns about my appearance? Does anyone have experience of NHS/private braces, or how having braces has affected you as an adult?

Does anyone notice/judge you for them?

Thank you very much for any responses!

ZeldaWasMyGransName Thu 06-Apr-17 14:54:12

Had train tracks top and bottom in mid 20s, after I did three friends did the same! They had all been worried about what it'd be like but went ahead after seeing mine.

Apparently metal train tracks work the best as well as being cheaper (although hopefully an orthodontist might come along and comment!).

Most, and I mean most people didn't even notice when I had them, and when I had them taken off! It's one of those things where you are conscious of it but it barely crosses anyone's else mind. Met long term partner while I had them on also!

Save your money.

MaidOfStars Thu 06-Apr-17 14:55:02

I had traintracks as an adult (34 years old), paid for privately (completely cosmetic). I had white brackets at the front (canine to canine) with metal ones further back and various combinations of wires and clear elastics. Sometimes my braces were obvious, sometimes less so, depending on the particular formation and whether I'd discoloured the elastics eating curry

It cost me £4000 for top and bottom straightening.

Nobody ever made any negative comments, although my now husband teased me a little. Possibly I caught a few sideways looks. How could I be judged? As if I were really vain? I don't know if I was judged, but if someone did, they're free to do so - I now have straight teeth and can smile with confidence, so they can fuck off.

If I'd had the option to have them paid for by the NHS and had to have metal brackets on the front, I'd have done it and sucked up the extra visibility. It's not odd to see adults with braces these days.

fkds Thu 06-Apr-17 14:57:23

Look on Groupon. There seem to be quite a few offers much cheaper than normal price with good reviews for things like Invisalign etc.

BorpBorpBorp Thu 06-Apr-17 15:12:19

I'm mid 20's, and I have Damon braces with clear brackets at the front. I do think the clear brackets make them much less noticeable than metal brackets would be. People don't tend to notice my braces in everyday life. I've never had comments. I will likely have jaw surgery after my braces come off.

The length of time it will take isn't easy to guess, so I don't think that should be a huge deciding factor. My braces have so far taken 4 months longer than was 'quoted' and will probably be another 2 months at least.

Regardless of NHS or private, don't have them done by an orthodontist you don't like or trust. You're going to spend a lot of time with their fingers in your mouth.

Groovee Thu 06-Apr-17 15:13:02

My daughter is on the waiting list to start the braces and have surgery to bring her top jaw forward and her lower jaw back!

Never been offered private but she has the top orthodontist in our area and he was the one she was referred to for a second opinion when she was 12.

Braces do work but it's remembering to wear the retainer after which has been found in our household to be most crucial. Teeth have moved very quickly after losing the retainer.

ZeldaWasMyGransName Thu 06-Apr-17 15:15:40

Do not look on Groupon. A good orthodontist does not need to advertise in this way.

grannytomine Thu 06-Apr-17 15:16:29

My daughter had the treatment you are talking about. The only thing that would worry me would be the timing, the orthodontist and maxillo facial surgeon worked together to make sure the orthodontic work was done to fit in with surgery time and to plan the way the teeth needed to move. If one is private and one is NHS will they be able to co-operate? They might, I would just want to be sure.

My daughter had it all done on NHS and had the op at 18 straight after A levels, the Monday after exams finished, and her brace came off the day before she left for uni which was a month earlier than we expected.

TooManyTrolls Thu 06-Apr-17 15:30:43

i don't think you should give the look of them any thought at all. People you know won't notice them after a couple of days and strangers don't care. It's so normal to have train tracks. I stopped paying for the clear brackets for my DC when it became apparent that they literally didn't care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now