Talk

Advanced search

to repeatedly hit myself or, even better, my mum with a ladle?

(5 Posts)
PrettyRicky Thu 06-Apr-17 13:05:16

Over Xmas, I told my mum about the new LISAs that were coming out in 2017. I said they looked great, I'd be investing in them.

She was skeptical. She said they sounded like a con. She didn't like that you can't access money for years. She thought huge returns sounded too good to be true.

Lots of bosom hoiking and assuring me I'm wrong and naive.

Fine, I ignore her and keep reading about LISAs in the Financial Times and various investment forums and deciding to put some money into them.

Fast forward to today. She called me at 8:30am to tell me to look on Martin Lewis' website because on Good Morning Britain he was talking about new ISAs which sound great. She recommend I invest in one.

I remind her that I told her about them over Xmas and she was dismissive. She says it must have been a different ISA because the LISA has only just come out today hmm. No, I assure her, it was the same ISA she just doesn't listen to a word I say or have any trust in my judgement.

Do you think it'd be better to repeatedly clock myself over the head with a ladle or to wait until she visits and bonk her on the bonce with one?

She's fucking infuriating. She constantly reminds me that I'm "getting older" (i.e. I should look after my skin and dress appropriately) whilst at the same time completely fails to acknowledge that I'm a successful and rational grown-up capable of making excellent decisions for myself.

Booboo27 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:08:58

Mothers! Can't live with them, can't live without them (in most cases).
The whole ISA thing does sound infuriating and the sort of situation that would make my blood boil.
I've learnt to just zone out and grit my teeth half the time when my mum talks or 'offers advice' these days. She's always right in her eyes and it gets exhausting trying to ever enter into a debate about anything.

mawi Thu 06-Apr-17 13:09:53

Well if she is anything like my mother it will be because a man has now told her it is a good idea so he is right because obviously being a woman you couldn't possibly know better.

You have my sympathies. I completely understand the frustration!

Do not hit yourself with the ladle, the only conscience of that is you will have a headache.

TaraCarter Thu 06-Apr-17 13:14:38

Well if she is anything like my mother it will be because a man has now told her it is a good idea so he is right because obviously being a woman you couldn't possibly know better.

Yep. My mother does it with IT.

PrettyRicky Thu 06-Apr-17 13:24:39

Oh yes, and not only has a man told her. But it's also a man on the TV.

So, a doubly important man.

Even though that man is Martin Lewis (makes my skin crawl) and the programme is Good Morning Britain (a lobotomy required to watch it).

And even though she knows that both me and DH read the Financial Times for fun blush

And even though she has literally no idea what is going on with her own finances. If you ask her what/where she's invested she'll say "Some bonds that I can get an income from" hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now