Talk

Advanced search

To be disgusted over the cuts to widowed parents

(40 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Thu 06-Apr-17 08:15:47

They came it today and this is the first I've heard of them. Have I been really ignorant or have they been slipped in?

Wando1986 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:31:00

You've been ignorant. Also not entirely sure why you think the state should support someone's children to that extent (beyond 18 months) when they don't offer the same additional support to lone parents.

Wasn't really fair to everyone else was it, funding the children for potentially 18 years.

People die. Parents die. Spouses die. That's why you have life insurance. People also need to move on in their lives and should be able to find their feet again within 18 months. It's shit, but shit happens. You have to deal with it.

onlyinshakespeare Thu 06-Apr-17 08:31:30

Not everyone can get life insurance.

Wando1986 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:32:55

That's why they still pay you for 18 months now.

DermotOLogical Thu 06-Apr-17 08:33:12

Wando I agree. It was an unrealistic benefit.

allthingsred Thu 06-Apr-17 08:37:59

The cuts for everyone are shit

Be they widows, loan parents & people on low income, and actually people on middle income. People on dla & there carers. People with more than 2 children.
Wasn't it shown that all the changes that are being bought in everyone from middle income down will be worse off. But (surprise surprise) the rich will get richer.

brexitstolemyfuture Thu 06-Apr-17 08:40:50

All the benefit was doing is giving back ni contributions as the dead parent won't get a state pension but you make it sound like it was generous! Christ on a bike!

ShatnersWig Thu 06-Apr-17 08:40:59

As there have been previous threads on MN about it, quite lengthy ones in some cases, I'm surprised you hadn't heard about it on here if not in the media. Of course, fewer people read newspapers now, or sit and watch a news programme, so these things will pass people by far more than before. Not quite sure what Governments are supposed to do - issue a letter to every home every time they do anything?

UppityHumpty Thu 06-Apr-17 08:41:16

I disagree even with the 18 months. I don't believe widowed parents shouldn't be more better off than single parents. It's like they benefited just because they got married which is rubbish

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 06-Apr-17 08:49:20

But marriage does give you legal benefits - it's a huge reason why so many get married.

You see it on here all the time. People (predominantly women) have kids and move into their partners' homes, often give up their jobs to raise the kids, then act shocked when they split up and realise they have no rights on the house in the event of a split or their partner's death. But people keep doing it because they just don't think it'll happen to them, because their partner is different (and immune to accidental death, apparently.)

If you want the legal protection of marriage - get married!

megletthesecond Thu 06-Apr-17 08:52:33

I'm a single parent. I still think the cuts to widowed parents are shit sad. It's not a race to the bottom.

ShatnersWig Thu 06-Apr-17 08:53:43

allthingsred Why should people have got any benefit whatsoever for having more than 2 children? Seriously, I cannot find one sensible argument to say why that was a justifiable benefit in the first place, no matter how small the amount was in the first place. Why should people on "middle income" receive any benefits?

The welfare state was supposed to aid people WHEN THEY NEEDED IT, not on a permanent basis. The cuts that I do object to were for those with disabilities and carers. The rest? Not so much.

Mulledwine1 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:54:17

All the benefit was doing is giving back ni contributions as the dead parent won't get a state pension but you make it sound like it was generous! Christ on a bike

They get a widow's pension.

In fact it annoyed my mum when a friend of hers who had been widowed continued to receive a widow's pension when she remarried, but I said it was justified because her late husband had paid in to the system, so she should continue to get it regardless of whether she was married to someone else or not. It's also quite sexist to say once you remarry you'll be supported so you don't need it!

user15262093 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:57:28

I think the cuts to widowed parents are disgusting, someone i know became a widow at the age of 23 with 2 young children, and lost her home from under her because she no longer could afford the rent and the landlord wouldnt take housing benefit, and her income dropped massively overnight, so her two young children went from having a mum and dad, a home and food on the table to having no dad, sleeping on a sofa in someone elses home and having no money at all to do anything any more and I'm sure that the widowed parents allowance must have been really helpful to her. We as a family pay a lot in tax and i would be more than happy for it to be spent in this way, i too was disgusted. 18 months is far to short.

Lakegeneva40 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:58:01

I was fully aware of this and I think it is disgusting but you will get people saying well-done parents don't get is do why should widowed parents.
The Government will just keep on cutting benefits.
I have 3DC and I am fortunate not to have to rely on benefits as dh is a hr tax payer. However if he died after a prolonged illness the finances would take a huge hit.
We are extremely lucky as we have a home and life insurance etc .
However the probate charges on the estate would be several thousand now instead of about a hundred.
Yet I don't expect anybody to give a toss about this if they are happy to see bereavement benefits for all so greatly culled.

Lakegeneva40 Thu 06-Apr-17 09:01:18

Lone not done.

ShatnersWig Thu 06-Apr-17 09:04:06

Lakegeneva No, you aren't lucky. You have made provision in the event of death with home and life insurance. You are both sensible and fortunate.

There are others, I grant you, who through circumstances might not have been able to be sensible or fortunate.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Thu 06-Apr-17 09:06:53

I think it's appalling. And people need to remember that not everyone can afford life insurance, or if they can it doesn't always pay out (suicide, drugs/alcohol). A widowed parent is not only a lone parent, but also dealing with the loss of a spouse and the mother/father of their children and all the grief and pain that comes with it. Having seen a friend of mine widowed very young recently, the least she should have been able to expect is a bit of support. And no, the life insurance didn't pay out in that instance, which made life a million times harder than it already was!

Littlecaf Thu 06-Apr-17 09:07:53

Lots of people are moaning about cuts..... did you vote and who did you vote for?

What do people expect with a Conservative Government and Brexit on the horizon? None of this is particularly surprising.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Thu 06-Apr-17 09:07:58

The original payment term was far too long and needed cutting.

However I disagree with the new term being less than income support for lone parents, losing a spouse is something you have no choice in whereas a relationship split (if there was one in the first place) is no where near the same whatsoever.

Lakegeneva40 Thu 06-Apr-17 09:12:49

Actually I still think think I am lucky. I am fortunate that I have a dh with a good job and thus can afford life insurance. We also inherited money which whilst not lucky to have no parents we have been able to clear mortgage with inheritance. Others could lose parents but do not inherit.

Lakegeneva40 Thu 06-Apr-17 09:14:46

And no I didn't vote for them or Brexit.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Thu 06-Apr-17 09:15:16

Lots of people are moaning about cuts..... did you vote and who did you vote for?

Yes I did and not the bloody Tories!

SaorAlbaGuBrath Thu 06-Apr-17 09:15:36

And I certainly didn't vote for Brexit either

makeourfuture Thu 06-Apr-17 09:19:00

What do people expect with a Conservative Government

"Blame me not," said the scorpion, in a supplicatory tone, "it is not my fault; it is that of my nature."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now