Talk

Advanced search

To think DH could lend me his keys

(17 Posts)
ballstoit Wed 05-Apr-17 22:25:58

I have lost my keys in the house at some point over the weekend. I've never done this before and I'm not normally disorganised with my things but am an NQT in year 6 and am struggling to keep on top of everything. Has been a hideously busy week and I haven't managed to find them yet. Hasn't been a problem so far. Have a spare car key and most days DS leaves after me in the morning, locking up behind him, and DH gets home before me.

Tomorrow, there's a good chance I'll be finished early but there is a small chance that I may get held up in a meeting. So, if I finish early, I won't be able to get in the house.

I've asked DH if I can borrow his house keys but he has refused to take them off his key ring. DH says I should borrow DSs key, but if I do, and then get held up at work, he won't be able to get in the house when he gets home from school.

AIBU to think DH should lend me his keys for the day, and then we can look for mine at the weekend (when we'll have more than 2 spare minutes)?

Zippydoodah Wed 05-Apr-17 22:28:12

Could you leave some with a neighbour? YANBU

Astro55 Wed 05-Apr-17 22:29:34

He's being mean! Yes he should just give you the bloody keys!

How petty

Chloe84 Wed 05-Apr-17 22:31:21

Will DS be there to open door for DH if you get held up? If yes, YANBU.

Also, you could hide DH's key under a pot.

Cherrysoup Wed 05-Apr-17 22:33:52

Does a neighbour not have a spare no why didn't you pop into eg Asda and get a spare cut between Sunday and today?

ballstoit Wed 05-Apr-17 22:35:41

Yes, DS will be home before DH.

We leave at 7.15 so a bit early to be knocking on neighbours doors to see if we can leave keys/if they'll be in etc.

It's not normal for DH to be mean or petty - he's usually lovely.

araiwa Wed 05-Apr-17 22:36:13

get a new one cut

araiwa Wed 05-Apr-17 22:37:08

do you have a back door?

ballstoit Wed 05-Apr-17 22:38:19

I literally have not had a spare 10 minutes to pop anywhere to get keys cut. My Mum has a spare but lives 25 minutes drive away. We have only lived here a few months so don't really know neighbours well enough to have given them a spare key yet.

NonsensicalNonsense Wed 05-Apr-17 22:38:21

Get some more cut. Costs a few quid hmm

ballstoit Wed 05-Apr-17 22:40:56

We have 3 sets in the house (mine, DH and DS) plus a spare set at my Mums so it hasn't been an issue before. Yes, I will get a couple of spares cut at the weekend (or tomorrow if I have a key and finish early!) but that doesn't help the situation now.

Foldedtshirt Wed 05-Apr-17 22:41:27

Tell ds to leave the key under the mat in a safe place!

araiwa Wed 05-Apr-17 22:42:37

do you have a back door?

Oysterbabe Wed 05-Apr-17 22:43:04

Why the hell won't he give you his key?!

SnugglyBedSocks Wed 05-Apr-17 22:45:01

Have you got a shed or garage with two keys? If so leave house key in there and you and DS have a key to access it

ballstoit Wed 05-Apr-17 22:52:27

Yes, we have back doors, hadn't thought of it but will take the keys for them - thanks guys, you have sorted this out so DH can keep his keys -- although I may leave DSs on the inside of the door so he can't get in anyway-- grin

Topseyt Wed 05-Apr-17 23:04:47

I freely admit that I am with your DH. here, unreasonable though it may well sound.

I am very, very fussy about things like my keys are. I have to know where they are still times and I get very twitchy if they are elsewhere.

I came from a family where everything had to be in its place and that is engrained in me.

However, I married a DH who is the total opposite, always losing things (particularly keys), and never puts anything in the same place twice. Makes me even more paranoid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now