We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Who would own a driverless car?

(53 Posts)
Tobolsk Wed 05-Apr-17 19:37:27

Not a AIBU but a spin off from another thread on here.

I would have a driverless car only if:
1. I could drive it manually when I wanted to.
2. I could legally send it to pick up people, drive its self home or drive my drunk bum home.
3. It looked like a normal car. The Google car looks like a woodlouse

NearlyChristmasNow Wed 05-Apr-17 19:42:28

No way, the roads are far too chaotic where I live.

Firesuit Wed 05-Apr-17 19:46:36

If a car is truly capable of being driverless, it would be a waste of space and money putting a steering wheel and other controls in it. So you wouldn't have the option to drive it.

Also, when truly driverless cars are available to ship people around, it won't make financial sense to own. It will be cheaper to take driverless taxis everywhere. In addition to the intrinsic savings of sharing vehicle expenses with other users, there's the extra convenience and cost-saving of not having to find parking at your destination.

Firesuit Wed 05-Apr-17 19:49:07

The VW concept linked to below is exactly how I imagined a driverless car would be configured. A row of seats at the front facing a row of seats at the back.

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/geneva-motor-show-2017-vw-group-unveils-sedric-prototype-driverless/

stumblymonkeyremix Wed 05-Apr-17 19:49:40

Totally would as soon as it's legal and not out of my monetary league

Imagine:

- Commuting to work just means sitting around reading a book and sipping coffee

- No need to avoid having a drink on an evening out or relying on shit public transport

- Actually no need to even own a car anymore with all the servicing and parking and shit. I imagine there will be companies with big fleets of cars that just come and pick you up and drop you off wherever, whenever

- Long journeys would be soooo much better....read a book, watch a film, etc

^^ This is, of course, once we get to the point of true driverless cars not some kind of inbetween where there still has to be a driver prepared to take over at any moment

stumblymonkeyremix Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:49

Firesuit...that's the kind of thing I imagined too. But with comfier chairs, TV screens and coffee holders maybe even coffee machines?

Euphemia Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:53

No one would have a car they had to drive as the insurance would be sky-high owing to the dangers presented by the potential for human error vs a computer-controlled car.

upperlimit Wed 05-Apr-17 19:52:05

AIBU, that I have just got into the driverless taxi and some grim bugger has left a filled nappy on the seat? envygrin

Oh, driverless taxis, MNHQ will have to open up a whole new topic just for that.

stumblymonkeyremix Wed 05-Apr-17 19:52:53

Also imagine what it will do for elderly people who can be isolated when no longer able to drive.

When I'm 80 I'm going to be zooming to bingo in a driverless pod grin

maggiethemagpie Wed 05-Apr-17 19:53:05

I have an eyesight condition that could have lead to my licence being revoked on medical grounds (luckily it didn't get that bad). If it had, I'd have been first in line for a driverless car!

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Wed 05-Apr-17 19:55:13

I'd love it.
YY to needing a new MN topic though.
Hmmm dogging...?
grin

stumblymonkeyremix Wed 05-Apr-17 19:55:36

YY and my bipolar means I'm on a restricted licence which could be revoked if I am ill again.

There are lots of people unable to drive due to medical conditions who are also more likely to be isolated in other ways too. Will be such a positive thing for them once available to the masses...

SunnySomer Wed 05-Apr-17 19:59:16

Yep, I have epilepsy and regularly read on here about those really annoying non-drivers who always want to cadge lifts to places... would love to never be in that position again!

upperlimit Wed 05-Apr-17 20:02:29

Oh god, yes, there'll be driverless hook-ups <vom> Maybe the cars can automatically reroute to the police station if there's any bonking?

Tobolsk Wed 05-Apr-17 20:12:50

Firesuit

Interesting point but that would not fit my lifestyle at all.

How would I transport my firewood that I cut from my land 30 miles away? I would need a pod with a trailer or a 4x4 pickup truck pod.

If the future means having to give up my off grid lifestyle and move into a city it would be my idea of hell!

Meekonsandwich Wed 05-Apr-17 21:18:30

But if you want a commute you can read a book on or relax on, get the train??

If you would use driver less cars like taxis, why not get an actual taxi?!?! You'd still have to pay for the driver less taxi?

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Thu 06-Apr-17 00:27:16

Because...taxi drivers!

BeALert Thu 06-Apr-17 00:37:10

I would love a driverless car.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year. If I could give up even half of those I'd be very happy.

RhodaBorrocks Thu 06-Apr-17 00:46:21

I would love this! I miss using public transport and hate needing to drive myself to and from work every day.

I imagine them like a subscription service - sign up to a level of service on a per month/year basis and get a certain level of mileage/size of car whenever you request it via an app (I guess like if uber operated as a subscription service), so you could schedule a regular commute or single journies. Whatever you liked. You wouldn't need to own one, no need for separate insurance, no MOT, everything included in a monthly plan.

QuestionableMouse Thu 06-Apr-17 00:49:55

No thanks. I like to drive. I don't want a computer driving me about.

stumblymonkeyremix Thu 06-Apr-17 05:32:38

Meek...not all commutes are possible on a train!

And it would be much less expensive than traditional taxis because you're only paying towards a share of vehicle depreciation/maintenance/tax and petrol.

hellokittymania Thu 06-Apr-17 05:50:52

I am visually impaired and would LOVE to be able to drive a driverless car. Since right now, nothing is an option. Unless I do like my friends in the Philippines, by a car and hire a driver to take me everywhere.

Ifailed Thu 06-Apr-17 05:57:39

I'm not convinced they will be much cheaper than owning a car. Trains raise their fares at commuter times because they have a captive market and they need to bring more into service to meet demand. I'd imagine it will be the same with driverless cars, booking one for 7:30 for a trip to work will be more expensive than the same journey at 11:00. I also expect they will be far more expensive if you don't want to share, so the trip won't be much different that being on a bus or train, though I expect you'll at least get a seat.

ocelot41 Thu 06-Apr-17 06:06:05

I am shit at driving. It (still) terrifies me. I would love s driverless car!

picklemepopcorn Thu 06-Apr-17 06:23:59

My DH wants a driverless car. I wish DM had a driverless car. It would help older people so much, as they wrestle to keep their independence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now