Talk

Advanced search

To think that my dog is not 'just a dog'?

(267 Posts)
WilburIsSomePig Wed 05-Apr-17 19:30:51

Well of course he's 'just a dog' because he's, well, a dog.

BUT he's a massive, huge part of my and DH's life and of my DC's lives. He's the first member of the household that DS (who is a different boy since we got him) talks to in the morning and last he talks to at night. He cheers me up just by looking at me and wagging his tail. DH suffers from insomnia and frequently wanders downstairs during the night and I'll find the dog cuddled up to him on the sofa (he's not allowed on the furniture btw smile. DD sits and chats to him when she comes home from school in a bad mood for whatever reason 10 year olds get in a bad mood about. I love everything about him, we all do.

And now we find he has a huge tumour and things are looking very bleak. I can't even tell you how devastated we all are and MIL tells DS not to be silly as 'it's just a dog and you can get another one'.

I know not everyone likes pets, or dogs but he's ours and we love him. I don't suppose this is really a BU thread, I just wanted to tell someone else.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 05-Apr-17 19:36:06

I'm so sorry, Wilbur sad

flowers

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Wed 05-Apr-17 19:36:13

flowers

He is a member of your family. Im so sorry to hear about his diagnosis.

Your MIL needs to learn how to empathise.

Zaberwocky Wed 05-Apr-17 19:36:47

Your MIL is being incredibly insensitive. Your dog is a member of your family. You're right to be upset, and it's not as easy as replacing him!

I'm sorry flowers just make sure you enjoy every single moment you have with him. I really hope he makes a full recovery, but even if he doesn't, you sound like you've given him a wonderful life.

GoodGirlGoneWrong Wed 05-Apr-17 19:37:00

My dog was my replacement child (was told I'd probably never have any) he's not treated like a child but he's still a massive part of the family.

He's my best friend, my confidant, I've cried on him, slept on him, cried over him (he's been very poorly) he and our other dog (DH dog) are massive parts of the family.

The dc adore them both, they talk to them, walk them, playing with them they are essentially their friend, partner in crime (when trying to gain extra food) he helps make my family complete.

A dog is not just a dog!!

GoodGirlGoneWrong Wed 05-Apr-17 19:37:40

Mil is a cow.

MamaHanji Wed 05-Apr-17 19:38:44

She doesn't know.

A dog is not just a dog. A dog is family.

I'm sorry about the dog sad

ludothedog Wed 05-Apr-17 19:38:50

Of course he is a big part of your family. Sadly some people, like your MIL, just don't seem to get that. I do. My dog is a huge part of my life and I will be terribly sad when she is gone.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog flowers

Marlboroandmalbec34 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:39:03

So sorry your dog is poorly. My dog is like my first baby - definitely a family member x

KlondikeBar Wed 05-Apr-17 19:39:23

Ignore her, she's just a MIL.

JaneEyre70 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:39:38

Oh no, that's terrible news. So sad for you all. Is there any treatment or is it a case of making his last days as good as possible?
My dog (cocker spaniel) is my best friend. He's with me from the moment I wake up until the minute I close my eyes. And he sleeps next to my bed inbetween. If anyone said he was just a dog, I'd punch them.
Sending lots of hugs flowers.

WilburIsSomePig Wed 05-Apr-17 19:41:24

He looks fine at the moment, if a little slower than usual. I think he's wondering what the hell is going on, the DC's are so upset. I can hardly look at him without crying. Waiting for a call from the vet to tell us what our options are (if any), so DH and I need to have a difficult conversation about what to do if this is it for him. I don't want him to be in pain, though thankfully he doesn't seem to be at the moment.

CaptainBraandPants Wed 05-Apr-17 19:41:36

Wilbur flowers
Your MIL is the one with the issue if she can't see how he is part of your family.
My MIL adores our dog and would be as heartbroken if anything happened to her.

Owllady Wed 05-Apr-17 19:41:53

Feel sorry for MIL she lacks the empathy gene
I'm sorry Wilbur sad he's part of your family, he companion. He's everybody's best friend smile be kind to yourself xxx

I know when I lost my old dog we all said she was our best friend, she did this, she did that. She'd conned us all into thinking we were special smile

TheoriginalLEM Wed 05-Apr-17 19:42:30

if anyone says to me "its just a dog" will be told "you're just an idiot "

AcrossthePond55 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:43:34

Some people just don't get the true meaning of what an animal is in someone's life. Your MiL is one of them. Ignore her.

I'm so sorry for you and your family. You have my thoughts and wishes for peace and comfort for you and your lovely dog.

ThomasandFriends Wed 05-Apr-17 19:44:15

Poor MIL. And I mean that sincerely. She's obviously never had the pleasure of a deep relationship with a non-human.

I'm really sorry to hear about the tumour. Sympathy to you all. Is he ill with it or are you able too do some lovely things with him still? Oh, and can we have a photo?

SootSprite Wed 05-Apr-17 19:45:42

I'm so sorry. Of course he's a dog, I refuse to add the word 'just'.

My baby boy is always happy to see me, happy to spend time with me, and happy when I give him attention. Dogs are, in my opinion, better than most humans as they're just so happy to spend time with us.

I know nothing will help at this time. But when he goes over the rainbow bridge, as we all eventually will, he will tell all his new friends about his lovely mommy and his family. He will look down on you and want to come back and cuddle with you, but he knows he will have to wait until you come to him. And he will be waiting for you. Loving you. Always.

I wish I could make this horrible time easier for you x

WizzardHat Wed 05-Apr-17 19:46:17

Dogs aren't just dogs - they're family. Any pets, really.

Tunnocksmallow Wed 05-Apr-17 19:48:00

flowers
Thoughts for you all.
A dog is never 'just a dog' they are a huge part of the family.

Tell MIL she's just another interfering busybody.

Patienceisvirtuous Wed 05-Apr-17 19:48:56

Aw really sorry for your news sad he is a very loved member of your family, not just a dog! Sounds like he has a lovely life with you all...

One of my cats is my little soulmate. Our bond is very special to me. After years of recurrent miscarriages I am now 34 weeks pregnant. A friend of mine said 'you won't give a shit about your cat once baby is here'.

😡 So offensive.

Some people just massively lack empathy...

FiveShelties Wed 05-Apr-17 19:50:04

I am so sorry. There is no such thing as 'just a dog' in my book. I shipped my beautiful girl from NZ three years ago and she is going back with us next month, she is a very important member of our family.

QueenOfTheCatBastards Wed 05-Apr-17 19:56:15

I don't get the pets as family thing, but I'd never be so crass as to say that to somebody who does.

I hope your vet comes up with a treatment plan that's positive.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Wed 05-Apr-17 19:56:57

I'm sorry, op. We had our girl pts in February, she had a brain tumour. If anyone had said she was "just a dog" I would have punched them. That dog was a better friend to me than any human has ever been and she came into my life when I had depression and basically rescued me.

IsangforLadyArcher Wed 05-Apr-17 19:57:36

Your poor poochie flowers

Sounds daft but our little dog makes our family complete. She went to the kennels at the weekend as we were away - me and the DDs were waiting at the door for her to come home. DH was giving us location updates.

My MIL isn't keen on dogs but manages to have a treatie in her bag on every visit.

DDog is flaked out on the floor by our feet having eaten DDs sausage roll grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now