Talk

Advanced search

To stop taking my iron tablets

(22 Posts)
user1491413344 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:34:43

I have been told I am low in iron and have been prescribed iron tablets but they make me feel like crap.

I have a very poor diet so I think my low iron is caused by that. I don't have heavy periods or anything which would lead to low iron so I think it's just my terrible diet.

WIBU to stop taking the tablets and just focus on improving my diet instead?

pinkieandperkie Wed 05-Apr-17 18:38:28

I had iron tablets prescribed from gp and they made me feel extremely sick. Because my iron levels weren't too low the doctor said to just take an ordinary supermarket vitamin and mineral which eventually did the job and no feeling sick.

picklemepopcorn Wed 05-Apr-17 18:39:47

Do both? You may well feel like crap because you are constipated, could that be true? People usually are with iron tabs. Up your vitamin C, reduce your dairy (stops iron absorption), add all bran with flax seed or chia seed, and see how you feel.

picklemepopcorn Wed 05-Apr-17 18:40:18

Oh, and apricots are good too.

AyeAmarok Wed 05-Apr-17 18:42:13

Iron tablets are the work of the devil.

I got my haemoglobin up from 80 to 112 by diet. Lots of broccoli and steak.

Crashbangwhatausername Wed 05-Apr-17 18:42:35

Have you tried spa Tone? I can't tolerate iron in tablets at all but spa tone was really gentle - plus the apple one has ascorbic acid so you don't need to worry as much about the vit c

PoppyFleur Wed 05-Apr-17 18:43:20

Interesting threads tonight OP. So your diet is awful and you drink a bottle of wine each night. Do you think there may be a link here?

Are your threads genuine or has a grown up left their tablet unattended?

babybels Wed 05-Apr-17 18:44:01

It's hard to manage to improve your iron levels by diet alone if they are already low, especially if you don't eat meat. If you do it may be easier. I can only manage to take them on a full stomach otherwise I vomit so you could try eating first. Good luck.

user1491413344 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:46:26

Yes this is genuine.

My diet is shit though and I don't eat anywhere near enough iron rich foods. I thought introducing some more would help.

IAmTheWorwax Wed 05-Apr-17 18:47:30

Your diet is shit because you are constantly hungover.

SecretNetter Wed 05-Apr-17 18:56:35

Of course eating iron rich foods will help.

Plenty of meat (red especially) and eggs, iron fortified cereal with iron rich seeds or nuts on top, spinach, broccoli and other greens. Kidney beans are also high in iron and easy to chuck on a salad. Raisins are another good snack, or dried apricots. Drink a glass of OJ with iron rich foods too.

It depends how low 'low' is though. I've had low iron the last few weeks as I'm pregnant and iron tablets really don't agree with me. The GP said it's fine for me to focus on diet but my iron was only just below where it should be. If you're seriously anaemic you probably need supplements too.

UppityHumpty Wed 05-Apr-17 18:59:09

Really depends on how low your levels are. Don't do anything without your GP's advice.

GreyWalls Wed 05-Apr-17 19:13:14

How long have you been taking the pills? Sometimes it just takes time to get used to them.

Beautifullymixed Wed 05-Apr-17 19:45:17

I have started taking Floradix Iron Supplement Tablets (£6.95 from amazon at the moment).
I definitely cannot take regular iron supplements, as I get stomach cramps, gas and constipation. Not pretty. sad

These have good reviews online, and more importantly, have not affected me negatively. I am eager to see if they help with tiredness and fatigue, especially as my periods are heavy.

ThouShallNotPass Wed 05-Apr-17 19:54:53

Look in the supermarket or chemist for something called Spatone. It's an iron supplement but without the yucky side effects. Just add a sachet of the liquid to half a glass of fresh orange juice and it'll help raise your iron levels. I was unable to take iron tablet because I couldn't go more than a few feet away from a bathroom.

TheWhiteRoseOfYork Wed 05-Apr-17 20:46:27

Another one recommending Spatone. Its not cheap but Tesco often do buy 2 get 3rd free offers. It's a lot easier to take. What are your levels? Mine were just too low to improve by diet alone.

biscuiteater Wed 05-Apr-17 22:45:48

It takes a long time to get your iron levels up, I was prescribed Ferrous Sulphate for 3 months. It's a much higher dose than over the counter iron supplements. I suppose it depends on how low your iron is but if it gets too low you end up in hospital. I didn't get any problems with taking Ferrous Sulphate as they were coated tablets and I took it with food.

Patchouli666 Thu 06-Apr-17 00:27:39

You need to take Floridix or spatone. The absorption rate is much better and they don't make you feel like crap.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 06-Apr-17 00:29:33

I've just stopped mine (not prescribed) as pretty sure they were making me feel worse

IvorHughJarrs Thu 06-Apr-17 00:37:26

Buy some Spatone, it is iron but easier on the system

biggles50 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:03:35

Hi op, someone mentioned that you're the same person who drinks a bottle of wine a night. Sounds as if you are reaching out and low iron and feeling unwell are all part and parcel of excessive drinking. Maybe you should see your gp and talk about your issues. Getting off the booze and eating three good meals a day, counselling and exercise will be the saving of you. Baby steps, number 1, visit your gp and spill. Take care and good luck.

Bluewombler2k Thu 06-Apr-17 08:59:33

Feroglobin tablets are great if prescribed Iron tablets don't work for you. They brought my levels up fast without side effects

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now