Talk

Advanced search

Upset about critiscm of unborn child name.

(530 Posts)
patronsaintofglocks Wed 05-Apr-17 13:22:19

To cut a long story short,

I am pregnant with my first child and DP and I have chosen two names.

For a girl: Noah
(I understand that many people prefer the spelling Noa for a female but we don't.)

For a boy: Ezra

I am sick and tired of my family telling us to change our minds/names. It's getting me down and making me second guess myself.

Does anyone have any advice?

Wolfiefan Wed 05-Apr-17 13:23:35

Don't share the name until the child arrives and it's a done deal.
I wouldn't call a girl Noah.

NavyandWhite Wed 05-Apr-17 13:24:18

Is it both names that people are saying they don't like?

MaudGonneMad Wed 05-Apr-17 13:24:39

Telling people your chosen names in advance just invites comment.

Noah for a girl? Really? confused

Kennethwasmyfriend Wed 05-Apr-17 13:25:13

Don't tell anyone your choices. Or tell them it's not up for discussion.

It is very hard to sit on hands and not tell someone not to give their dd a boy's name though.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 05-Apr-17 13:25:45

You're planning on calling a girl Noah. Get used to it quite frankly.

watchoutformybutt Wed 05-Apr-17 13:25:58

This is why I don't think people should share the name before baby is born. What's the point? People will obviously offer unwanted opinions on it.

SquatBetty Wed 05-Apr-17 13:26:13

Never tell anyone your chosen names for your unborn children - everyone will have an opinion and you may not like some of them.

But as you've already told people the names, I'd just be very blunt if they keep on about them and say these are the names we've chosen, we aren't changing them so we'd appreciate it if you'd​ stop telling us to change our minds.

patronsaintofglocks Wed 05-Apr-17 13:26:20

We are Jewish- and Noah is a cultural name for us.

There seems to be a problem with both names for some reason.

NerrSnerr Wed 05-Apr-17 13:26:31

I agree with others. Don't share the name with anyone before. It's much harder for people to criticise when the name is attached to an actual beautiful baby. I am about to have a baby and the only person we have told is my close friend as we are using her late family members and her child's names so just wanted to give her a heads up. We wouldn't tell family as they'd just go 'oh, isn't Gethin nicer?' Or something.

soapboxqueen Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:02

Don't tell people.

Agree with pp Noah is a boys name, and you can call your baby what you want but she'll spent her life telling people that no she isn't male.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:06

I think critisism of an unborn child's name is a good thing, as it gives you the perfect insight in to what people's reaction to your dcs name will be, and thus give your a chance to change it.

Redyellowpinkblue Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:07

I think anyone with an opinion of Ezra should keep it to themselves as it's perfectly acceptable and you should rise above it above it and stick with it, but Noah for a girl is odd and personally I think it would be a bit unfair on the child as you'd be setting her up for a lifetime of having to explain and spell etc. I would rethink it.

DuggeeHugs Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:10

Tell them you've gone back to the drawing board and when baby is born, register them as Noah or Ezra, then tell your family.

Don't talk about names with anyone else and perhaps take the tack of 'we've decided to wait until baby arrives to see which name suits them'.

How far along are you?

shirleycartersaidso Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:11

Never discuss name choices with people in real life if you don't want comment!

Noah for a girl is asking for comment imo and will do or the rest of her life.

I like Ezra.

JimWithTwoNoses Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:16

Why have you told people the names? You are just inviting comments. If you love those names stick to them, it's very rude of family to pass comment or ask you to change them. That would just make me want to keep them more. That said, I didn't know Noah/Noa was a girls name too? Love the name Ezra.

Misspilly88 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:28

I love Noa. But this is why nobody tells people their names till baby is here. I'm certain my parents would have tried to talk me out of naming our son what we did but they have no choice once baby is here.

Hillarious Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:38

Big mistake - never let on to what names you're considering, as people will be more vocal before the birth than if you present them with a fait accompli.

SootSprite Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:38

I think that giving a child a name which is recognised mostly as belonging to the opposite sex is setting them up for a lifetime of issues. Your choice entirely, but be aware that they will spend their entire life having to correct people who assume Noah is male.

MaudGonneMad Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:44

We are Jewish- and Noah is a cultural name for us

Wasn't Noah a man in the Bible? confused

patronsaintofglocks Wed 05-Apr-17 13:27:58

cardibach Wed 05-Apr-17 13:28:18

Well, it's your baby, it's up to you. I can understand people questioning your choice of Noah for a girl though. I've never seen the name Noa either, so I'm not sure it's true that 'many people' prefer that.

RuncibleSp00n Wed 05-Apr-17 13:28:29

Yes to keeping baby names secret until you've already signed the birth cert.

But no to calling a girl Noah. I think there's plenty of nice female or gender-neutral names, without having to use a very popular boy's name. Let girls be girls. I think I'd be happy using the male biblical name Noah for a girl whenever society deems it acceptable for baby boys to be named 'Sarah' or 'Mary' or similar. Otherwise I'd personally just feel it's double-standards.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Wed 05-Apr-17 13:28:45

If you are upset with comments from adults re giving a girl a boys name imagine how she could feel at school?? Really poor choice that a child has to live with.

NotReallyMeToday Wed 05-Apr-17 13:29:20

With a name like Noah, she'll not be able to use the women's toilets in half the states in America at this rate. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now