Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re how much effort/cost to correct company's mistake?

(20 Posts)
Miloarmadillo1 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:55:42

I ordered an item of sports equipment for my DS from an online store, value £40. It arrived quickly, it fits, everyone was happy. Then the following week a second identical parcel arrived. I checked bank statements and I was only charged once, so contacted the company to say they had made a mistake. They want me to return the item, since there was no returns label they will send one out, I'm happy with that. When it arrived, it is for DPD and they want me to take the parcel to the depot, nearest one is 2.5 miles away and somewhere I never go. I have been back in touch and this is the only courier they use. Is it reasonable to ask me to spend time/fuel to go 5 miles out of my way to return an item they sent by mistake? WIBU to say either they can send someone to collect it from my house or they can send me a postage paid returns label for Royal Mail and I'll drop it in the post office ( which would be minimal hassle) and otherwise they can piss off?

WorraLiberty Wed 05-Apr-17 12:57:39

YANBU and make sure you put it in an email, rather than a telephone call, so you have proof that you're not the unreasonable one.

Hillarious Wed 05-Apr-17 13:31:23

Can they be classed as unsolicited goods and become yours if they don't send someone to pick them up from you or provide a Royal Mail return label?

MrsELM21 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:34:05

YANBU, although I would might never have said that I received the second item!

Cocklodger Wed 05-Apr-17 13:41:17

YANBU. Similar happened to me. I told them I would not spend money on travelling to rectify their mistake. They grumbled a bit and told me to keep it. Since then I keep or give away any 2nd items sent. Being honest seems to give them a license to take the piss.

NonsensicalNonsense Wed 05-Apr-17 13:43:49

You're very honest. Just keep in and forget about it. They definitely won't chase it.

ChasedByBees Wed 05-Apr-17 13:45:53

No YANBU.

araiwa Wed 05-Apr-17 13:45:53

the effort and cost really are both minimal really

yabu

all the time youve spent emailing/ talking to them could have been used to drop the thing off and be done with it

SecretNetter Wed 05-Apr-17 13:46:54

Tbh I think you're being a bit precious, unless possibly you're in central London and will take an hour to drive there.

You've gone to the hassle of contacting them about it so fair play to you there - but 2.5 miles takes what -5/6 minutes to drive? I'd consider that popping down the road tbh, it's hardly a huge ask. You'll spend more time and energy in emailing/phoning them again.

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 05-Apr-17 13:51:04

I'd give them 7 days in which to arrange collection or you'll give it to charity. They made the stuff up, it's up to them to collect it.

SquatBetty Wed 05-Apr-17 13:52:03

Similar happened to me, a parcel of cycling shoes that we hadn't ordered was delivered from Wiggle (cycle shop). It had our address on but a completely different name. I rang Wiggle to query and they said they'd got 2 databases merged by accident when they printed the address label off. They then asked me to take the parcel to my nearest post office and post back to them!!!!!

Strangely enough I refused as it was their problem to fix, not mine so they then decided actually they could arrange for a courier to come to my house to collect the parcel after all.

UserSchmooser Wed 05-Apr-17 13:54:18

Tell them they have until (reasonable date) to collect it from you or you will dispose of it. From what I remember reading in a similar case, 90 days was reasonable.

ZaziesPaws Wed 05-Apr-17 14:04:15

Law is they need to collect it from you.

hellomoon Wed 05-Apr-17 14:10:20

YANBU

You've told them that they've made a mistake - up to them to decide whether it's worth it to them to make a five minute phone call to ask a courier to make a five minute journey to pick it up from you then, isn't it?

WeAllHaveWings Wed 05-Apr-17 14:12:13

It's 2.5 miles, I'd just drop off and it's fixed instead of the hassle of waiting in for a courier/more phone calls/quoting the law and saying how much hassle it is etc. It's not a big deal (unless as others say 2.5 miles will take hours etc).

Floggingmolly Wed 05-Apr-17 14:17:24

You don't have to take it anywhere. Just inform the company they're on your premises, unsolicited by you, and they need to make arrangements for their collection.
Then forget about it; if they haven't been collected in six months time, keep them.

Cantstopeatingchocolate Wed 05-Apr-17 17:10:59

DPD can come to your house to collect, they probably just don't want to pay extra for it.

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:24:20

The 2.5 miles is in a busy city so prob at least half an hour round trip if I go during the day. It's more a WTF should I put myself out to return it? If I'd ordered the wrong item, wrong size etc and wanted a refund fair enough, it's totally their mistake, I've been honest enough to tell them won't bother next time and earned myself a load of hassle.

ThreeLeggedHaggis Wed 05-Apr-17 17:42:27

YANBU at all. Tell them you can't get to the drop-off point (no reasons, just say it won't be possible and repeat if necessary) and they will have to collect it from you.

redandwhite1 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:45:26

Similar happened to me and I insisted it was collected

No way would I go out of my way for their error. At the end of the day you could've kept it and said nothing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now