Talk

Advanced search

Should I have take her to A&E o just wait and see

(49 Posts)
thecoldnever Wed 05-Apr-17 10:45:49

My 3year old DD has being complaining about headache since fridaay she even woke up in the middle of the night say "mummy my head hurts" on sund she developed a fever I took her to see the gp yesterday and he just took her temperature and said give her water and let her rest and that the headaches are caused by mucus n the sinus. I wasn't really happy with that she still has the headache and her eye lids are swollen she also woke up with a stomach ache this morning.

I really feel like something is wrong.

NavyandWhite Wed 05-Apr-17 10:50:24

I'd take her back to the GP rather than A and E. It sounds like it could be allergy related with the swollen eyes, headache etc.

thecoldnever Wed 05-Apr-17 10:54:45

The doctors at my surgery are useless they don't even let you finish telling them what's wrong and I can't get a appointment even emergency one unless I call 8am.

The headaches are worrying me so much.

Beadoren Wed 05-Apr-17 10:55:30

Go to the gp and get and emergency appointment. This isn't an obvious medical emergency, if you are insistent with the gp that she sees a dr today as you are worried enough to consider hospital they should be able to get you in pretty quickly. Eyelids swelling could potentially be caused by sinusitis as well. I mean unless it's properly properly swelling to the point she can't open them.

Trust your gut, but I would go through the gp as they will send you to hospital if necessary, and you won't end up in hospital unnecessarily if it isn't anything serious.

NavyandWhite Wed 05-Apr-17 10:56:19

What about ringing 111? Is she up and about? Eating and drinking?

Partyfops Wed 05-Apr-17 11:16:07

There is a virus going around at the moment with headaches and vomiting.

thecoldnever Wed 05-Apr-17 11:20:47

She's not eating very well. To honest I don't want to have to wait 4hours in A&E as I'm 8months pregnant.but I'll try and get an appointment with gp.
I'm just so worried because she never complained about headaches before.

Amy64321 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:28:18

If you can't get a GP appointment ring 111 and see if you can get an appointment at out of hours/ walk in centre.
I know people mock 111 but it's there for times like this.

NavyandWhite Wed 05-Apr-17 11:29:27

Agree I would ring 111 and see what they say. Is she up and about? No neck stiffness/rash?

Beadoren Thu 06-Apr-17 08:16:10

How is she today op

Crumbs1 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:19:37

Sounds like your GP is probably right - but then why wouldn't they be? I'm bemused why people think an FY2 in an A&E will have better knowledge than a trained practitioner in family medicine. Go back to GP but don't use A&E for anxious parent syndrome.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 06-Apr-17 08:44:02

Sinusitis CAN lead to swollen eyes and most definitely gives headaches. Have you tried anything to treat it? Menthol crystals or vapour rub in a steam bath works wonders to get the fluid flowing. You can get liquid sudafed for little ones too.

If you can't get in with the GP and really feel she needs seeing again, is there not a walk in centre you can use?

OddBoots Thu 06-Apr-17 08:52:40

Unless she has more worrying symptoms such as a rash, stiff neck or a fever you can't control I'd let her rest today rather than dragging her out to a doctor or hospital.

If her tummy hurts too she has probably swallowed mucus that is unsettling it or her glands are active in fighting the infection but it might also be a tummy bug on top and you don't want to spread that around to other people (she may have picked it up in the waiting room herself).

UppityHumpty Thu 06-Apr-17 08:54:06

A&E even if you just wait in the waiting area. Better safe than sorry

UppityHumpty Thu 06-Apr-17 08:55:41

Re: meningitis - if you wait for the rash stage kids will be at death's door. Have doctors, nurses, paramedics in the family - they all say to take kids to A&E as soon as they present 'unusual' symptoms for them. As your dd doesn't get headaches this qualifies.

thecoldnever Sat 08-Apr-17 00:02:30

She's still saying her head Hurts her eyelids are still swollen too she really does look sick. I went to the pharmacy and they said to try piriton for allergy. Gp said to ring him on Monday if she still has the headaches but I think I'll take her to the walk in centre tomorrow because she still has a fever.

Graphista Sat 08-Apr-17 00:19:43

Sorry I have to say I don't think this is an a&e job, possibly ooh. And I tend to err on side of caution.

Sounds like classic sinusitis. Plenty of fluids, pain relief that also treats fever, vapour run/olbas oil/vapour caps/eucalyptus or menthol essential oil.

LurpakIstheOnlyButter Sat 08-Apr-17 00:53:18

If you feel your child is not her normal self, fever, temperature,headache, drowsy...is she photophobic (dislikes the light) random body aches?

If you have any of these concerns they can be symptoms of meningitis

If you are really worried A&E is appropriate

LouKout Sat 08-Apr-17 01:05:28

She may have orbital cellulitis, i would go to A and E

LouKout Sat 08-Apr-17 01:05:41

I mean preseptal cellulitis

LouKout Sat 08-Apr-17 01:06:13

Children of 3 dont get classic sinusitis

LouKout Sat 08-Apr-17 01:07:43

Well not in same way AFAIK, as sinuses not developed fully. Or so gP told me

JungleInTheRumble Sat 08-Apr-17 01:15:45

GPs can and often do get it wrong crumbs my gp diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome and fobbed me off...I actually had appendicitis. Luckily I was old enough to take myself off to hospital but if I'd been younger and my parents had just blindly listened to the GP it could have been much worse for me.

You should call 111 OP, they can help you to get an out of hours gp appointment or could advise you to go to hospital.

nakedscientist Sat 08-Apr-17 01:34:37

PersonAlly, if you have a gut feeling that your 3 yo is very ill, go to A and E. Your DC is very young and can quickly decline. Headaches are not good in this age group.

thecoldnever Sat 08-Apr-17 01:48:38

She's not bothered by bright lights and she has no rash or stiff neck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now