Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask about labour on induction wards

(11 Posts)
guinea36 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:22:10

Hi
I had DC a month ago and over the last few days have been reflecting on the birth.
I was going to pass my thoughts to the hospital but was wondering whether my experience and the experience of a friend who gave birth around the same time was normal.
I was induced and admitted to the special ward as DC was two weeks overdue. When I arrived there were a couple of other women with their partners and relatives. It turned out they had been on the ward a few days but were yet to go into labour. One of the women was playing music really loudly on her phone. It was a normal ward, bright lights, noise and curtain cubical. The family group were noisy and excited - although to a normal extent. However I later realised that some other patients behind curtains were clearly in labour and in a lot of pain. Some of them what sounded like fairly full on labour through the night while some of the other women's partners were snoring. They were left like that for several hours at least.
The next morning I went into labour. I would have loved to have done this stage in privacy at home and not behind a curtain on a dusty ward. A couple next door had arrived with loads of friends and relatives. I had to listen to one of them talking about how they were going to order chicken nuggets from McDonald's while I had painful contractions inches away!
I was eventually admitted to the delivery suite because of other complications after about 5 hours and the staff were fantastic. But a friend who was induced the next day was left on the same ward with no pain relief until she was 10cm dilated. She said she was gnawing a pillow so the other women didn't hear her screams.
I know the NHS is stretched but the more I think about it the more I feel it isn't right that women are left for hours to labour pretty much in front of strangers with little or no pain relief. Even if you are not yet 4cm dilated you can really in a lot of pain.
However I'm not sure what the solution could be. Private rooms for women in the early stages are probably not practical. Perhaps a calmer quieter area for women where labour is starting. I'd be keen to hear others' suggestions about how things could change and whether these kind of induction wards, where women in labour are left next to those waiting for things to kick off for hours, usual practice?

guinea36 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:24:14

Sorry my phone went crazy and I've posted three times. Will ask for them to be removed

Cocklodger Wed 05-Apr-17 10:26:55

I'm sorry I don't know if this is normal as such but I wouldn't be happy with it either! YANBU
How are you doing now? flowers

AppleMagic Wed 05-Apr-17 10:30:21

I had two inductions, two years apart at the same hospital. The first one sounds like your experience, the second time round they'd switched to using side rooms. It was a much nicer experience. Fortunately for me, labour never kicked off until I'd had my waters broken and the drip started in delivery suite so I never actually laboured on the ward. Sounds grim.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Wed 05-Apr-17 10:30:49

Are you in Wales by any chance?
It's the same here, wasn't pleasant at all

DesignedForLife Wed 05-Apr-17 10:37:58

When I was induced (by ARM) they took me straight to the labour ward in a private room. Good job as I haemorrhaged and had to have a crash section. My understanding is that in our hospital they took you over from about 5cm or whenever they think it's established labour. For PP I'm in Wales. Not all Welsh health boards are the same FYI.

Was the ward really dusty?

FormerlyFrikadela01 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:38:17

I was induced using the gel. In my trust they just have maternity wards so antenatal and postnatal were on the same ward. When I first got there a woman was labouring in the bay next to me, i heard her waters splash on the floor. When i went i to labour it was the middle of the night and everyone around me was alseep so i felt bad making any noise. Luckily i went down to the delivery room pretty quickly.
Afterwards a woman laboured opposite me and was clearly in lots of pain. We all heard her struggling with the internal examination.

I did put a complaint in because i don't think it's the right environment to be labouring in but nothing came of it.

Neglectedbythesun Wed 05-Apr-17 10:38:40

Yeah it's awful. It doesn't seem and didn't feel right to have women labouring with a curtain pulled round them, next to us. I am in Scotland. I suppose it can happen really quickly for some women.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:38:56

Oh and I'm in West Yorkshire

thecatsarecrazy Wed 05-Apr-17 11:44:40

Doesn't seem right at all. I was on my own when my contractions started. I was induced at 11 contractions started about 10pm. I asked if I could phone d.h but was told to wait as he wouldn't be allowed on ward. I was about 3cm when examined and was in a fair amount of pain

upsidedownfrown Wed 05-Apr-17 12:39:37

6 years ago I was induced at 35wks with my youngest as my waters broke and I hadn't gone into spontaneous labour. My 2 eldest were 7wks prem and 9 wks prem and labour had been quick with both.

I had the pessary inserted at 9am. Went for a walk around grounds at 10am for about 20mins with dh. By the time we were heading back into the building I was having to stop walking with every contraction to cling onto dh. Got back onto the ward and buzzed for midwife. Told her how close and intense my contractions were. She offered me paracetamol. I scoffed and asked her to check how dilated I was, she said she'd come back in a minute to do that. 30mins later, me being very patient, my buzzer being ignored, I sent dh to fetch someone. She came into the room rolling her eyes and I remember clear as day she said 'sweetheart you wont be in established labour yet. You're just getting yourself worked up because your other births were quick.' She checked, I was 8cm, she looked sheepish and within 5 mins I was on labour ward with my team of neonatal docs and nurses ready for the arrival of my lb about 20mins later. I can vaguely remember saying 'told u so!' as they wheeled me along with my portable gas & air

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now