Talk

Advanced search

to bin anything not washed up?

(14 Posts)
froofroomcgoo Wed 05-Apr-17 08:35:34

I work in the public sector. In my office we have a kitchenette, shared by around 30 people. Some of those people do not wash up. Ever - leaving porridge encrusted bowls, yogurt covered spoons, egg remnants for others to deal with. There is the obligatory "please wash up your own pots" sign which these people clearly ignore. I'm sure it's the same people, as everyone who has their own (from home) bowls, plates, cutlery etc on their desk, nice and clean, clearly washes up. The offenders use the items from the odds and sods cupboard items, owned by no-one, the chipped plate, the Tesco value mugs etc and then dump them in the sink.

I don't wash them up, I just ignore them, but I have to take them out of the sink, and put them on the side to do my own washing up, it's grim.

WIBU to put a sign up stating anything not washed up from now on will be binned?

Trifleorbust Wed 05-Apr-17 08:36:41

You would be unreasonable. Complain to whoever manages the building.

froofroomcgoo Wed 05-Apr-17 08:43:16

trifle there is no one to complain to. The team who manage the building deal with things like broken toilets, not things like this. We don't have cleaners and we don't have an overall manager - we are all managed by different people, most of them off site.

Trifleorbust Wed 05-Apr-17 08:47:17

Is there any way of removing items and placing them somewhere, not washed up? You can't really chuck people's things.

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 05-Apr-17 09:00:42

That's what I do, Trifleorbust - we share a kitchenette with IT and some of them are filthbuckets. I know it's not my very small team because I see them washing up a lot and they know it drives me potty. So I remove items from the sink and dump them on IT's fridge where they only get washed when someone wants one.

It's because IT has a rotating cast of thousands that are only in this office for a day or so at a time but it's still grim.

In conclusion, it is IT's fault, leave the dirty stuff in their office.

Trifleorbust Wed 05-Apr-17 09:04:19

Yes, I think dumping is the only move here.

00100001 Wed 05-Apr-17 09:18:44

I'd chuck them.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 05-Apr-17 09:20:31

Have a second washing up bowl and things left get chucked in there.
And I mean chucked. So what if they get broken?

00100001 Wed 05-Apr-17 09:22:30

In my perfect world. When you start working somewhere you are issued with a mug, a bowl, a plate a teaspoon and cutlery set.

All of which have your full name on.

You're only allowed to use your stuff.

No excuses

And you are responsible for cleaning and putting away your stuff.

Then if Sam Smith leaves their mug out. Everyone knows it.

And calls them up on it!

froofroomcgoo Wed 05-Apr-17 09:27:39

0010001 I think that is a perfect idea!

Meekonsandwich Wed 05-Apr-17 09:51:41

Do not throw things away, you may think it belongs to no one but what happens when you throw away some thing that's important to some one?
They'll hate you.

Lock away "communal" stuff and tell everyone to bring their own. Every ones will be different. If they still don't wash it up, deliver it to their desk.

Hillarious Wed 05-Apr-17 09:56:16

The second washing up bowl, or a bucket, is a good option. It's a halfway stage towards the bin, where the stuff can legitimately go if it's still in the second washing up bowl at the end of a fortnight.

Love the word "pots". Makes me homesick!

NonsensicalNonsense Wed 05-Apr-17 11:32:37

Yep i bin everything that doesn't get washed up in my work. I don't understand why people want to use communal plates and cutlery anyway confused so if they then don't wash them up it goes in the bin, i could not care less if it annoys people that might have used it and washed it up. In my view there should not be any communal kitchen stuff in the work place, if i have something that requires cutlery etc i bring it in from home, rinse it in the sink then take it home and put it in the dishwasher. OP bin it all, don't feel guilty and deny it if anyone asks! I also bin stuff out of the fridge as soon as its out of date or been there for a few days.

Kiroro Wed 05-Apr-17 11:37:23

Second washing up bowl - anything not washed up gets dumped in that. Sign up saying anything not washed up on friday evening will be binned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now