Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour parking in my space

(34 Posts)
DarkLightMamma Wed 05-Apr-17 08:33:43

I live in rented accommodation and have two spaces allocated to my property, one of which is part of a large paved area without lines on. The people who bought the next door also have two spaces which is part of this paved area. In the past they've parked in such a way that I couldn't park there so I went to knock on their door to welcome to the neighbourhood and ask them to be careful how they parked as I wasn't able to park my car, there was no reply so I sent a nice letter, had it checked by a few people who agreed it wasn't confrontational it was nice and polite. I saw them and discussed it and they were fine, said it was teething problems of moving to a new home, which is fine. I usually park in that paved bit as i get my visitors to park in the other one. A few days ago I got in quite late and parked in the 'visitors' space for convenience (I have to reverse into the other one to get the baby car seat out) and since then theyve parked in such a way I can't park there. A lot of people will say: you're not using it so why be annoyed? But I've had a few visitors who haven't been able to park at mine. Am I being unreasonable to being annoyed they're blocking my space from access? Any advice?

treaclesoda Wed 05-Apr-17 08:34:50

I would tell them again. Politely. Be like a broken record.

treaclesoda Wed 05-Apr-17 08:35:46

And YANBU to be irritated.

NonsensicalNonsense Wed 05-Apr-17 12:20:05

Mark your space. Get a bollard or something and yes keep telling them.

CustardOmlet Wed 05-Apr-17 12:26:37

Need a diagram!

ToothAbcessSucks Wed 05-Apr-17 12:36:15

Sounds v annoying!

(Diagram!)

TheFlis12345 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:40:27

Ask them to move, every single time. They should eventually learn that a little care up front will save them inconvenience later.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 05-Apr-17 12:42:09

Maybe the paved area needs some lines?

Supermagicsmile Wed 05-Apr-17 12:43:10

Can you get it marked?

MrsPussinBoots Wed 05-Apr-17 12:47:20

Can you spray paint lines and numbers? It does wash off over time but by then they should have got the message. Or even chalk lines for a few dry days.

PinkFlamingo545 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:05:13

It does sound a tad confusing

Sedona123 Wed 05-Apr-17 14:32:43

Maybe also contact whoever you are renting from and explain what is happening? Let them sort it out.

MimiSunshine Wed 05-Apr-17 14:41:47

No don't just let them have it, you'll never get it back as the whole area is unmarked. Just keep asking them to move, if they actually ask why you don't park in your other space just say it's not convenient for me with the baby.

Do not get into explanations about leaving it for visitors as they'll just say to ask them to move when you have some

Reow Wed 05-Apr-17 14:43:55

Ooh excellent

HappydaysArehere Wed 05-Apr-17 15:23:33

Every time you cannot park ring their bell and ask them to move their car. Smile but don't move until they do. Repeat procedure every time and reiterate where they should be. That would really piss me off.

flumpybear Wed 05-Apr-17 15:57:56

It's yo r space so tell them to just be more accommodating - doesn't matter if you use it or not, it's not their space, it's yours and you need access at all times

Twopeapods Wed 05-Apr-17 16:28:47

Can you park your car there when they aren't there at all? Definitely explain again and say you usually like to park there so your visitors can use the other space. Keep it friendly, knock or post another note through. It's your space so you should have access to it at all times.

DarkLightMamma Wed 05-Apr-17 17:04:25

Thanks all. I'm not allowed to paint the paving but I went and parked on their bit. They moved their car pretty sharpish! When I next see them I will mention it to them again xxx

NonsensicalNonsense Wed 05-Apr-17 17:20:49

Thats a good idea everytime they park in your space then park in there. They moved sharpish coz they know they're in the wrong so you might not even need to say anything to them!

Happyinthehills Wed 05-Apr-17 17:27:07

Could you use chalk rather than paint to mark your space. Just to remind them.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:29:09

What about those wheelie bin stickers? Not sure how sticky they are - bit no - nails on the back??

mowgeli Wed 05-Apr-17 18:11:17

That is mega annoying speak to them again. We have so much trouble with Parking with our neighbours its unbelievable. I really feel for you and you are not being unreasonable

DarkLightMamma Wed 05-Apr-17 19:20:33

Thanks aha. Sadly because my bit of parking is directly in front of the walkway going around the side of my house I can't stick a number in front of it. They have a wall in front of their parking spaces. I took a photo to show how they'd parked, it's the Ford on the right (if you can see the picture!)

flumpybear Wed 05-Apr-17 20:12:04

So where's your spot(s) in this picture? And where should their car be?

JaneEyre70 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:21:05

Use a paint spray can to mark your house number on the floor of your spaces. That way no one is under any illusion who they belong to. Shocking parking.......... should they even be on the road?!??!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now