We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be wary of this buyer on Gumtree?

(29 Posts)
Ricecrispies16 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:42:14

I'm selling my phone on Gumtree. It's and iPhone 7plus 256gb so for a decent amount of money. Just had a message asking if it's still available, it is. He/she then asked if we could do it through Paypal because he/she isn't local to come view it.

I'm sceptical because if it was me contemplating handing over this amount of money I would want to see it first. Is there any chance this person could do or say something that results in a PayPal refund and I end up owing money?

Just feeling a bit sceptical confused

Scrumptiousbears Tue 04-Apr-17 23:47:14

How do they plan on collecting it?

Katinkka Tue 04-Apr-17 23:48:56

Sounds like they are planning to rip you off.

Twofurrycats Tue 04-Apr-17 23:49:07

I don't know about gumtree but i do deal with PayPal. Are they expecting the phone to be posted to them? On eBay (Not that you are) it isn't advisable to take PayPal for items that are collected in person as you have no proof that the buyer received it unlike tracked mail. Not that much help sorry!

Ricecrispies16 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:49:44

They want me to send it, said they will pay the extra. If I sent it recorded delivery and signed for would that cover me? Also what would happen if it went missing or something??

MazDazzle Tue 04-Apr-17 23:50:36

I've offered to pay via PayPal without viewing many times before. I am very trusting!

As far as I know, you are both protected via PayPal. However, if they choose the 'goods and services' option as opposed to 'friends and family' then you, as seller, will lose a (small) percentage of the money.

Scrumptiousbears Tue 04-Apr-17 23:50:54

Is it definitely delivery to the UK?

Flower20166 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:52:14

Don't do it, it's a scam! I put up for sale all my next furniture on there and I quickly got a text asking could they buy it and arrange a courier. I probed more and they wanted to 'send' me so much money via PayPal and for me to send some back. When I copy and pasted the exact text message into google a few people had posted that it was a scam! X

Glossolalia Tue 04-Apr-17 23:53:38

I'm pretty sure it's a scam

Ricecrispies16 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:55:51

I've just re-read the message it seems so strange that they haven't even probed for more information. I've just asked if it's a uk address I'd be sending it to, they said it would be abroad. Also keeps calling me "mate" hmm

Scrumptiousbears Tue 04-Apr-17 23:56:54

I agree it's a scam. Tell them you're not interested and will not be posting outside of the UK.

Endlessmusings Tue 04-Apr-17 23:57:24

Omg please don't do this. It's one of the oldest scams going.

WineAndTiramisu Tue 04-Apr-17 23:57:51

Avoid if abroad, PayPal requires special delivery to avoid them being able to get a refund, and even then they can claim not as described. But if wanting it posted abroad likely dodgy

Ricecrispies16 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:58:05

I'm definitely not going to send it but I am tempted to go along with the convo to see what they say... what's he trying to do?

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Wed 05-Apr-17 00:00:06

My DH had this last time he sold a bike on gumtree. He initially agreed and then got suspicious with them wanting them to send him money so he could send it back, and told them no. I'd be very very wary, and would say no

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Wed 05-Apr-17 00:00:16

My DH had this last time he sold a bike on gumtree. He initially agreed and then got suspicious with them wanting them to send him money so he could send it back, and told them no. I'd be very very wary, and would say no

IfeelFloopy Wed 05-Apr-17 00:00:39

Definite scam. My boyfriend put a motorbike on eBay a couple of years back and got an email asking if a courier could collect cos he wasn't local to view, said he wanted to pay by PayPal. Further investigation showed that this is a scam ppl use often. They hack someone else's PayPal to pay. Once the real account owner finds out and disputes it the money is reclaimed from you.

Endlessmusings Wed 05-Apr-17 00:02:14

I'm definitely not going to send it but I am tempted to go along with the convo to see what they say... what's he trying to do?

Pretty obvious that the end result is for them to get a free iPhone.

Go along with it if you want, it's not going to change anything and they'll just move on to their next victim.

FairytalesAreBullshit Wed 05-Apr-17 00:03:01

I'm just thinking of the scam where they pay by PayPal then say it was never received. If posting I would want to go for special delivery.

Ricecrispies16 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:06:02

Endless - I have said I won't be sending it?... going along with the conversation is to see what stunts they try to pull, out of curiosity. I'm not stupid enough to throw hundreds of pounds down the drain

amysmummy12345 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:06:44

My husband had this albeit it be with ebay, he had PayPal confirmations of payment received and everything... Turns out they were fraudulent emails.... Idiot dh sent his phone to Nigeria the prat 😂 luckily it was some crappy Sony Ericsson from about 1998 😆

Twofurrycats Wed 05-Apr-17 00:07:03

If it's abroad I'd give it a miss definitely unfortunately. Cost if fully tracked postage and if they claim the item was not as described is a mine field. PayPal generally works well (and most people aren't wankers). I'm still arguing about an eBay buyer who ordered a dress, paid for it, had it delivered and then bypassed eBay and PayPal. Went to her bank and said it was an unauthorised transaction! She still has the (sodding expensive) dress and the money is on hold. Even PayPal found this bizarre....

Scrumptiousbears Wed 05-Apr-17 00:09:55

The way it works is you'll get an email from PayPal saying you've got the money. You send the phone then either PayPal tells you it's a fraudulent transaction and withdraws the money or the email was fake. The destination is more than likely Nigeria and the buyer will be "someone in the forces posted out there". They are clever these little buggers.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 05-Apr-17 00:14:16

I think it's ill-advised to engage with them in any way other than to blow them off.

laughwithmeleelee Wed 05-Apr-17 00:21:44

This is a scam! We have been advised about it before, they call you mate and ask to email them and all sorts then they will say there is a problem with the payment etc Don't get involved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now