Talk

Advanced search

to think there has to be some calcium fortified snacks I can give my kids?

(18 Posts)
DesperateDanMan Tue 04-Apr-17 23:41:20

I don't think my kids get anywhere near the reccommended calcium intake for an 11 year old boy and a nine year old girl.
My son especially doesn't eat any dairy and even though he eats veg like peas and broccoli which are high in calcium, he doesn't have those every day.
I give him fortified orange juice and calcium jelly baby sweets (which have vit d as well).
Are there any other ways of boosting his intake such as calcium enriched biscuits/crackers/drinks.
As he doesn't drink milk he doesn't tend to have breakfast cereal either which is a shame as lots of those have added calcium.
Any advice appreciated.

zzzzz Tue 04-Apr-17 23:45:04

Hummus?

Tahini?

DesperateDanMan Tue 04-Apr-17 23:53:24

thanks , we have tried those before and not been a huge success...fussy kids!

LatinForTelly Wed 05-Apr-17 00:00:35

Best of both bread has lots of calcium (though they don't print it on the packet any more). Other than that, chewy vitamin tablets for kids. It's quite shocking how much 11 year old kids need. Broccoli etc doesn't come anywhere close.

LatinForTelly Wed 05-Apr-17 00:01:33

Doh, sorry, saw you do the chewy vits.

Would he drink sparkling water? I only discovered this week that it's high calcium when I was looking at improving my own intake. Not as nutritious as veg but better than nothing

QueenofLouisiana Wed 05-Apr-17 00:09:29

Orange juice with added calcium- Tropicana I think. DS drinks it as he rarely drinks milk, but eats yoghurt and cheese.

QueenofLouisiana Wed 05-Apr-17 00:10:26

Oops, sorry re-read your post and saw you do that already. I clearly don't read well after midnight!

zzzzz Wed 05-Apr-17 00:14:06

Just mix tahini into things? It disappears in sauces.

Blondie1984 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:16:55

Does he eat fish? Oily fish like sardines (with small bones) are a good source of calcium - tinned sardines are a store cupboard staple for me..

If you made smoothies do you think they would drink them? Or what about things like custard, rice pudding, milk based soups?

What do they tend to eat?

CampingManDad Wed 05-Apr-17 00:17:01

yes we do the chewy tablets and very expensive OJ.
I'm trying to find something for breakfast to give my son , something like breadsticks, cereal bars or even pastry thats high in calcium but haven't had any joy.

DesperateDanMan Wed 05-Apr-17 00:22:31

He eats salmon but not sardines.
Custard occasionally but not much for soup.
He does eat lots of rice and chicken, curry, potatoes, carrots, peas,broccoli ... but on days where we have pizza or pasta I suspect his intake drops dramatically.

DesperateDanMan Wed 05-Apr-17 00:23:46

yes, they like smoothies ... we should try those again

Blondie1984 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:28:52

Salmon would still be a good source

Would / does he eat cheese sauces? e.g.macaroni cheese, lasagne?

Baked beans have calcium in them - as does granary bread - so beans on toast could be a good meal for him ...

Also, watch his intake of fizzy drinks as they can leech calcium from bones...

LatinForTelly Wed 05-Apr-17 00:39:27

255 mg of calcium in one thick slice of hovis best of both. Same as 200 ml milk.

It makes life for my child so much easier and I wonder why they don't advertise it more.

QuestionableMouse Wed 05-Apr-17 01:03:09

Ice cream?

BeachyKeen Wed 05-Apr-17 01:08:01

We make smoothies all the time, it's a great way to get fruit into them, and calcium.

UppityHumpty Wed 05-Apr-17 05:49:43

Fortified soy/almond/oat milk, margerine has vit d, millet, vegan cheese, but the big one is tofu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now