Talk

Advanced search

about birthday cake

(162 Posts)
NotInMyBackYard1 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:36:08

I might be being totally precious about this - but here goes. Family and I were away for the weekend, DM joined us for the day, when she went to leave I asked her to take home DS's birthday cake which we had taken with us and not opened/put candles on/sung over/cut/eaten
(it was a Colin the Caterpillar cake if that affects the outcome of this AIBU! grin) and save it as its not his actual birthday until this weekend coming.
DM brought said cake round to me today, with the box open, cake covered in foil and with a slice missing off the end - she says 'oh its my favourite cake, I just couldn't resist it'
I'm still slightly gobsmacked that DS's grandmother would think it ok to slice up and eat his birthday cake - before he had even seen it or blown the candles out. AIBU?

DedicationToSparkleMotion Tue 04-Apr-17 22:38:37

That's ridiculously rude of her.

Sirzy Tue 04-Apr-17 22:39:05

Bizzare for her to do but you are planning on keeping the cake for a week before even starting it? I find that a bit odd to surely even shop cakes like that won't be particularly fresh after over a week?

clairethewitch70 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:39:07

Tell her to buy a new one and she can eat all of the one she has opened. I am gobsmacked. YANBU

Chocolatecake12 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:41:20

Well basically she's just eaten the caterpillars bum!
But HOW RUDE!
I too would be gobsmacked but wouldn't want a scene so would say nothing and learn for the next time - she cannot be trusted around cake.

mynachos Tue 04-Apr-17 22:41:27

Yes rude of her....... but why did you have it a week early while on holiday?

BillyButtfuck Tue 04-Apr-17 22:45:39

The fucking cheek of her shock

HeddaGarbled Tue 04-Apr-17 22:47:27

You are both being unreasonable, her for sneaking a slice, you for taking a cake on holiday and then sending it home early, like a schoolchild who'd misbehaved.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 04-Apr-17 22:48:35

shock outrageous!

NotInMyBackYard1 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:48:53

We were away as DS birthday treat so thought cake & balloons would make a nice occasion of it - as it was kids were tired and irritable and it was way past bedtime so we veto'ed the cake and took them off to hotel room for bed. Cake had use by date of middle of April so was fine to eat either this weekend or next weekend. However I'd normally expect the birthday child to have at least blown the candles out before cake was cut!

5OBalesofHay Tue 04-Apr-17 22:49:04

You could just get another

Pastaagain78 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:52:07

She was very rude. But I don't understand... why did Colin come on holiday with you? Why did she take Colin home with her? At least it wasn't Colin's face!

NotInMyBackYard1 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:53:35

She ate Colin's bum grin

wictional Tue 04-Apr-17 22:54:57

I'd put that question to her!
"DM, why have you cut and eaten DS's birthday cake when he hasn't even had the candles out on yet?"

LagunaBubbles Tue 04-Apr-17 22:55:59

Sirzy supermarket cakes have so many preservatives in them they usually have a use by category a few weeks.

LagunaBubbles Tue 04-Apr-17 22:56:35

Category?? Date!

LagunaBubbles Tue 04-Apr-17 22:57:10

And no OP that's really odd behaviour from her!

TheWitTank Tue 04-Apr-17 23:02:42

I would have told her to enjoy the rest and replace the cake for next weekend so it will be fresh and look nice with the candles on. She ate it, she replaces it. It is really rude, she could have asked first.

Floggingmolly Tue 04-Apr-17 23:07:31

Very odd of her, it it was odd of you to take the cake away with you and then decide to send it home uneaten.
Buy this fella next time and there'll be enough for everyone

chugging Tue 04-Apr-17 23:08:01

I think that's bad!

Also, I find it weird that an adult would have such a specific favourite cake to the extent they couldn't have it in their home without eating it.

chugging Tue 04-Apr-17 23:09:16

And if you wanted a slightly less confrontational way of raising it with her, tell her the cake has gone stale because she opened it and cut the end off so she'll need to replace it.

JW13 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:09:46

That's outrageous!

When I was a child I had a Colin the Caterpillar cake and a family friend ate the head. I was distraught.

I'm still scarred. My husband got me one a few years ago as I still bang on about it (I'm 34 now). I'll never get over it! blush

TheWitTank Tue 04-Apr-17 23:11:44

JW13flowers
I get you. The rule is the birthday boy or girl eats the head. Shockingly bad cake behaviour! grin

NotInMyBackYard1 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:11:58

Giant Colin looks amazing - I might text her the link and see if she gets the hint!
Flogging my eldest DD has SEN and is pretty uncontrollable when tired and her medication wears off, the younger two are 5 and almost 3 - it was approaching 9pm and after a very busy day they were just past it. I'd asked the restaurant to bring Colin out after our main course (I supplied the candles too!) but they clearly forgot all about it and after waiting 45mins - I admit I lost patience and just wanted to pay and leave!

ChasedByBees Tue 04-Apr-17 23:15:32

What did you say to her? Surely you pointed out that was a horrible/rude thing to do and she needs to replace it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now