Talk

Advanced search

To ask my tenant to get her son out of bed for a viewing?

(84 Posts)
CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:32:42

Background is - I let my old home out to a couple (both on tenancy) however they have now broken up and the guy has moved out and left his ex and her two children (not his) in the house. It now transpires that she had no idea how much the rent is, when it's due and certainly can't afford it. In the meantime - I had been considering selling the house for some time, had talked to the guy about it and he was fine with it.
Notice has been served and they are due out mid May.
I have spoken to the lady who is still in the house with her kids, explained the situation and she said she was happy for people to view the house. However, 3 viewings were booked last night and she wasn't there even though she had confirmed she would be and was happy to so all these couples had to go home without viewing.
This morning the estate agents call to say there is a viewing booked in for 11 but that the tennant had advised her son was still asleep so they couldn't see one of the bedrooms.
I rang her and asked her if she could wake him up so that they could view all the bedrooms. She agreed but seemed pretty reluctant.
I am really fed up - I am likely not to get any rent for the next 2 months and the house mortgage repayments already exceed the rent. I am on mat leave and not earning so could really do without it.

CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:34:05

Btw son not Ill or anything like that - he had got in from work at 1am

HighwayDragon1 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:34:55

You can't really tell her to get her son up, it's not your home. She's doesn't have to allow viewings at all either.

It would be nice for her to be accommodating, but she is under no obligation to be.

CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:36:06

I asked not told - had already discussed viewings and she agreed

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Apr-17 19:36:30

Why is the rent not being paid? Surely your contract was with the man as well as the woman? Why did they stop paying?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:37:01

It must be annoying, but at the end if the day a sale won't hinge in seeing one of the lesser bedrooms or not. Of someone wants a second viewing, that's the time to be persuasive with the tenants.

GreatFuckability Tue 04-Apr-17 19:37:46

You can ask. she doesn't have to comply. when you have sitting tenants, this is what happens.

soapboxqueen Tue 04-Apr-17 19:37:51

It's a pain that she isn't keeping to her word but she doesn't have to let anyone in.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 04-Apr-17 19:37:52

He's liable for the rent, not just her.

And us shift workers need our sleep.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:38:15

I viewed a house with a teen in bed!! Estate agent was mortified. . He didn't even stir!! And I put the light on!! Just do the viewing!!

CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:38:51

Yes contract is with both - they have had a very acrimonious split and he has moved out. I know he is also legally responsible but will be a long process getting any rent back and she has stated she certainly can't pay

blackteasplease Tue 04-Apr-17 19:39:12

Yes, surely he's still responsible for the rent until the lease is up?

I don't think she has to allow viewings especially not at short notice.

blackteasplease Tue 04-Apr-17 19:39:58

Agree with kingj re shift workers too

CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:40:18

King Joffrey - 10 hrs sleep already! I havent had 10 hrs sleep in years!!!!

CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:41:30

Listening to responses - see how the next couple of weeks go, if it carries on I will just give up until they move out

Gabilan Tue 04-Apr-17 19:41:52

However, 3 viewings were booked last night and she wasn't there even though she had confirmed she would be and was happy to so all these couples had to go home without viewing

Either do the viewings yourself or get the EA to do them. It sucks big time having your home sold whilst you're in it and don't want to move. I don't see why she should show people around.

For the people saying she doesn't have to allow viewings - since her notice has been served I'm pretty sure she does.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 04-Apr-17 19:42:30

Finishes work at 1am, you don't go to sleep the second you clock off!

Shift workers have savage sleep patterns. Speak from bitter experience.

Theresnonamesleft Tue 04-Apr-17 19:42:57

I don't blame her for not wanting to get him out of bed. He doesn't get in until 1 and probably stays awake, I mean it's not like you finish work at 6 and go straight to bed. Getting in a 1 is no different.
Plus, she doesn't have to agree to any viewings full stop.

HighwayDragon1 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:43:44

He got back from work at 1, once he's had something to eat, wound down and sorted himself out for bed it's probably closer to 3am.

I think sitting tenants have the same rights as paying ones?

EdenX Tue 04-Apr-17 19:43:52

I think you should leave her and her kids alone and do the viewings once they move out.

She might not be able to leave in May if she can't afford rent, the council will advise she stays put until you evict through court, so you can't sell til the house is empty anyway.

CeCeBloomer Tue 04-Apr-17 19:44:12

The estate agent was and is doing all viewings but haven't been given a key as per my conversation with her

HighwayDragon1 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:42

Gablian -It doesn't matter if notice had been served, or what is written in contact. While she lives there she has the right to refuse entry to anyone and everyone.

lampshady Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:46

Agree with the shift workers comments. It used to take me 2-4 hours post shift to fall asleep. Might be easier for your stress levels to wait until they leave.

witchofzog Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:51

I would not buy a house if I could not see one of the rooms. No way. It's shit for her but shit for you too op

HelenaDove Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:56

CeCe Do you say for example finish work at 6pm and go straight home and go to bed.

No meal or snack or shower just straight to bed.

If not then why not because you have just assumed thats what this young lad has done.

You do know that night /second shift workers no more go home and go straight to bed than day workers do right? They need to unwind/eat/shower after work too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now