Talk

Advanced search

To think DS uses too much punctuation?

(16 Posts)
AliceAllie Tue 04-Apr-17 17:06:54

I'm not the best at English... So I'm just looking for info! Can I just say that this piece isn't true grin it was part of a story.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 04-Apr-17 17:08:07

The comma after 'pain' is unnecessary.

Amockingjayhey Tue 04-Apr-17 17:09:15

I think he has probably learned that a comma goes where you take a breath. And then whilst thinking about this he has over thought it. So he has thousands thought he should take a breath where he doesn't need to and put a comma in!

I'm a teacher, i see this a fair bit. I think it comes with practice!

badtime Tue 04-Apr-17 17:11:35

It's not all necessary, but I wouldn't say any of it is actually wrong.

Consider Jane Austen:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

UppityHumpty Tue 04-Apr-17 17:11:39

The comma after mum is unecessary but everything else is fine. By the way it's not 'head pain' but 'headache' - It was giving me a headache.

AliceAllie Tue 04-Apr-17 17:12:40

UppityHumpty - grin I think he used that because he couldn't spell headache!

floraeasy Tue 04-Apr-17 17:12:50

Oooh, I thought that was fine! Wasn't it? confused

I sometimes think there are too few commas in things I read. I am a fan of the Oxford comma too.

I am quite likely to be wrong, of course!

May I just say your DS has lovely handwriting and knows how to use an apostrophe? Well done grin

badtime Tue 04-Apr-17 17:13:45

Also, I'm pretty sure I learned that one should always put a comma before words like but, so, because etc., so maybe he has been taught by a similar comma enthusiast. Or maybe he just likes them.

phlebasconsidered Tue 04-Apr-17 17:17:00

I think he has been learning about compound sentences using coordinating conjunctions and embedded clauses. What year is he in?

user1490948702 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:19:14

It is all correct, but follows the US model which tends to use commas more frequently than we do in British English. I'm a teacher of ESL so see both kinds frequently. It looks 'hyper correct' to British eyes as a result.

MajorBumsore Tue 04-Apr-17 17:21:26

The only erroneous one is after long. He is using mainly compound sentences, which require a comma before a co-ordinating conjunction.
Commas for a breath????😫

7to25 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:26:46

It is how we were taught....but I am very old.

Trifleorbust Tue 04-Apr-17 17:59:11

It is correct in the strictest sense. I, however (see what I did there!), wouldn't usually place commas before conjunctions in such a casual piece.

I would just be delighted he can actually do it and would be encouraging him to try some longer and more flowing sentences.

TwattyMcTwatface Tue 04-Apr-17 18:14:23

I was also taught to punctuate in this way - I think he's got it right, though I am aware that the common fashion is to relegate commas to occasional use only wink

Sisinisawa Tue 04-Apr-17 18:17:34

Looks good to me.

I used to work in publishing and copy editing and wouldn't have changed anything on this.

ATailofTwoKitties Tue 04-Apr-17 18:19:31

It's fine. (I'm an editor. I like a good comma.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now