We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think DS uses too much punctuation?

(16 Posts)
AliceAllie Tue 04-Apr-17 17:06:54

I'm not the best at English... So I'm just looking for info! Can I just say that this piece isn't true grin it was part of a story.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 04-Apr-17 17:08:07

The comma after 'pain' is unnecessary.

Amockingjayhey Tue 04-Apr-17 17:09:15

I think he has probably learned that a comma goes where you take a breath. And then whilst thinking about this he has over thought it. So he has thousands thought he should take a breath where he doesn't need to and put a comma in!

I'm a teacher, i see this a fair bit. I think it comes with practice!

badtime Tue 04-Apr-17 17:11:35

It's not all necessary, but I wouldn't say any of it is actually wrong.

Consider Jane Austen:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

UppityHumpty Tue 04-Apr-17 17:11:39

The comma after mum is unecessary but everything else is fine. By the way it's not 'head pain' but 'headache' - It was giving me a headache.

AliceAllie Tue 04-Apr-17 17:12:40

UppityHumpty - grin I think he used that because he couldn't spell headache!

floraeasy Tue 04-Apr-17 17:12:50

Oooh, I thought that was fine! Wasn't it? confused

I sometimes think there are too few commas in things I read. I am a fan of the Oxford comma too.

I am quite likely to be wrong, of course!

May I just say your DS has lovely handwriting and knows how to use an apostrophe? Well done grin

badtime Tue 04-Apr-17 17:13:45

Also, I'm pretty sure I learned that one should always put a comma before words like but, so, because etc., so maybe he has been taught by a similar comma enthusiast. Or maybe he just likes them.

phlebasconsidered Tue 04-Apr-17 17:17:00

I think he has been learning about compound sentences using coordinating conjunctions and embedded clauses. What year is he in?

user1490948702 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:19:14

It is all correct, but follows the US model which tends to use commas more frequently than we do in British English. I'm a teacher of ESL so see both kinds frequently. It looks 'hyper correct' to British eyes as a result.

MajorBumsore Tue 04-Apr-17 17:21:26

The only erroneous one is after long. He is using mainly compound sentences, which require a comma before a co-ordinating conjunction.
Commas for a breath????😫

7to25 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:26:46

It is how we were taught....but I am very old.

Trifleorbust Tue 04-Apr-17 17:59:11

It is correct in the strictest sense. I, however (see what I did there!), wouldn't usually place commas before conjunctions in such a casual piece.

I would just be delighted he can actually do it and would be encouraging him to try some longer and more flowing sentences.

TwattyMcTwatface Tue 04-Apr-17 18:14:23

I was also taught to punctuate in this way - I think he's got it right, though I am aware that the common fashion is to relegate commas to occasional use only wink

Sisinisawa Tue 04-Apr-17 18:17:34

Looks good to me.

I used to work in publishing and copy editing and wouldn't have changed anything on this.

ATailofTwoKitties Tue 04-Apr-17 18:19:31

It's fine. (I'm an editor. I like a good comma.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now