Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why the HELL you'd apply for a job involving driving, when you can't drive?

(99 Posts)
katherinealice Tue 04-Apr-17 13:20:45

I'm so annoyed as this is putting me in a really unfair position. Repeatedly I am being paired up with non drivers, and work anti social hours when there's no public transport. So I am expected to pick them up & drop off? AIBU to think this takes the piss?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:22:15

Suggest you put an expenses claim in for your time and fuel.

SheSaidHeSaid Tue 04-Apr-17 13:23:43

I know someone who did this.

A co-worker who used to work in my office applied for a different role in the company, a role that is pretty heavily reliant on needing to drive as you have to visit places (alone). She got really uppity when she was turned down for it and just couldn't see how it was mad she applied in the first place.

katherinealice Tue 04-Apr-17 13:25:44

At least they didn't give it to her!

Apparently I'll get money for fuel - all 20p or so of it - but not for time hmm angry

araiwa Tue 04-Apr-17 13:27:38

say no

or pay me for time/ fuel

Hedgehogparty Tue 04-Apr-17 13:30:48

When I worked in the NHS we had people who couldn't drive , lived miles away and were reliant on public transport.
one person in particular was usually late and was able to get out of working shifts all over Christmas and Easter by saying there was no service.
She was finally caught out - someone saw her shopping one day when she had claimed there were no trains! - we checked and there were....

SheSaidHeSaid Tue 04-Apr-17 13:32:11

I agree, say no. Refuse to have your personal time eaten into due to others.

In what way are you paired up? Does your job involve driving or is it that they need lifts to the office?

Rainydayspending Tue 04-Apr-17 13:32:14

Refuse to drive? Your insurance might not cover it. Check and politely back out

LilQueenie Tue 04-Apr-17 13:34:53

Why are you expected to pick people up? Its not your fault they don't drive. I do know the jobcentre expect you to bother others for lifts to work. I don't think its fair at all.

katherinealice Tue 04-Apr-17 13:35:11

The job involves driving, yeah - I know I probably should just refuse in practice though I'd either create chaos (by refusing to pick someone up the shift wouldn't be covered!)

It just baffles and angers me people think it's OK to be so entitled as to get lifts to and from work.

araiwa Tue 04-Apr-17 13:38:38

or charge the person you pick up £10 each way

ExConstance Tue 04-Apr-17 13:41:12

YANBU - do you work in care? I expect non drivers are all they can recruit at the moment, no one wants to work in home care anymore.

brasty Tue 04-Apr-17 13:41:38

Strange. Unless they could drive when they got the job, but an illness or disability meant they were subsequently banned from driving?

DingDongtheWitchIsDangDiddlyDe Tue 04-Apr-17 13:42:23

Why are you getting baffled and angry at other people who are just trying to get by? They've applied for the job because they need it, obviously.
Why aren't you getting mad at your employers instead? They are the ones advertising for people who drive and then taking on people who don't. They are the ones pairing you with non drivers. They are the ones expecting you to pick up.

Stop getting mad at the poor saps just trying to get by, and instead deal with the people who are creating the issues. And stop picking people up!

JaniceBattersby Tue 04-Apr-17 13:42:43

"Hi, I'll be setting off at 9am tomorrow for our first job so you'll need to get to mine for 8.55am. See you then."

xStefx Tue 04-Apr-17 13:45:06

one of my exes (only together about 5 months) applied for a job in our local recreation centre as a lifeguard. hmm nice job
Except he couldn't swim, apparently was planning on learning really fast (hmm)

BarbaraofSeville Tue 04-Apr-17 13:48:03

This happens to DP. He drives as there are very few of the people he works with that can drive and have a car. He gets some money towards fuel, but that's all it covers, no extra pay and nothing towards wear and tear or the extra insurance costs.

Plus it makes his day longer picking up and dropping off and on long shifts, everyone else is asleep in the car while he's ferrying everyone around. Its infuriating how he and you are taken advantage of like this by cheapskate companies who don't cost their services properly.

Businesses shouldn't expect their staff to drive unless they either provide a fully expensed car or pay 45 p a mile in line with HMRC recommndations and any extra time picking up and dropping off colleagues over and above the normal home to workplace travel, should be counted as work time not personal time, and paid for.

When you account for the extra costs on your car, and the extra time, it means that you are working for less than everyone else. Does your colleague give you petrol money or help in any other way such as paying for refreshments while out? In my experience non drivers have absolutely no idea how expensive it is to own and run a car.

Ruth2009 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:48:25

I used to work in home care, and we had "walkers" who did a walking round, so us drivers had to visit the villages and also pick up and drop off walkers is we were paired up. I didn't begrudge giving lifts, but most of them just expected it.
The really annoying thing was that they got paid 'petrol money ' too, as we automatically got paid mileage for the set rounds.
I left eventually, I'm surprised anyone wants to work in home care any more, it's such a shame what has happened.

katherinealice Tue 04-Apr-17 13:49:26

You're probably right dingdong but the thing is, you sort of have to.

I mean, no one is forcing a gun to my head but they'd ring the office and say "well I can't get to work" and the office would ring me and say "why aren't you picking Marie up?" and I'd say "it's not fair that blahblahblah" and they'd say "well there's no one to cover the shift if Marie doesn't do it."

So that's where it is.

Goldfishjane Tue 04-Apr-17 13:50:32

I don't get it
How can this be happening? Are your managers looking at you and deciding you can chauffeur people around?

Notso Tue 04-Apr-17 13:50:43

I have a relative with epilepsy, when they were job seeking they were told to apply for jobs where driving was a requirement and to ask for lifts or get taxis. When they suggested it was impractical they were told refusing to apply for jobs would result in sanctions, so they had to apply and hope not to get the jobs.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Tue 04-Apr-17 13:53:20

I would reply, because it's not my job to pick Marie up and if they said that no-one could cover the shift, I'd then ask them how they proposed to solve the problem.

DingDongtheWitchIsDangDiddlyDe Tue 04-Apr-17 13:54:03

Then you answer "because I'm not a fucking taxi and it isn't my responsibility to get your other staff to your booked work, is it?"

Stick up for yourself woman!

katherinealice Tue 04-Apr-17 13:55:22

I'd just be given zero hours/disciplinary then

Absintheshots Tue 04-Apr-17 13:55:53

Your employers are ridiculous if they keep someone who lied in his job interview and is not able to do or go to the job he applied for. If they don't drive, they are free to take a taxi. It's not the employer's problem if you can't make it in the office.

Your shift should start when you pick the person up, it's only fair if it's part of your job.

I would be tempted to start cycling for a while, and/or ask partner to give me a lift - ideally in a 2 seater. It's ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now