Talk

Advanced search

To ask about your propess pessary induction stories

(14 Posts)
summerskittles91 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:00:57

Just that really.. had the propess pessary in at 10:30am so wanted to hear about your stories too :-)

contractor6 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:05:24

Had mine at 3pm, baby born at midnight after very easy two hour labour. Good luck hope yours goes as well.
Ps do lots of walking round hospital it really helped me xx

ArialAnna Tue 04-Apr-17 12:25:12

Pessary at 3pm. Started labour around 10pm. By 4am I was in agony so I had an epidural (I couldn't have pethidine because of a higher seizure risk). The epidural was great though - took away all the pain! I was dilating steadily over the next day but stalled at 8cm. Because he had pooed earlier in the day and I had a temperature, doctors were worried about an infection so I had ceasarean at 10pm. Op was very quick and painless and I was walking around pretty normally after only a week.

I don't tell you this to scare you - just to reassure you that if it doesn't go to plan it'll likely still all be fine. There is so much pressure on women from NCT etc to have a natural birth that I was really dismayed and upset, first to 'give in' and have an epidural and second, to be told I needed a c-section. I wish I known in advance that the latter wasn't that bad. Now I have a beautiful happy and healthy 9 week baby boy and I realise how he was born doesn't matter at all.

Best of luck for tomorrow xx

ArialAnna Tue 04-Apr-17 12:28:50

Oops! Just realised I mis-read and you've already had the pessary put in. Best of luck for now then! Do let us know how it went when you can xx

MrsBellefleur Tue 04-Apr-17 12:31:28

I had mine in at 1pm, layed down for half an hour while it did it's business then went for a walk round the hospital and for something to eat. Pains started about an hour and a half later, baby was born at half 5.

I had a very quick third stage (I think that's what it's called) I went from 2cm to pushing in less than two minutes and it was very, very painful. The midwives didn't believe me that the baby was coming as I was only at 2cm when she checked me.
She ran off to get me some drugs as I was in agony, gone less than two minutes and I was shouting I'm pushing, she checked me again and dd was half way out.

I think I'm an exceptional case though, the midwife said she'd never seen anyone dialate so quickly!

contractor6 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:35:22

Also didn't need any pain relief until 9cm at which point I was screaming for drugs, but was all to late and had just gas and air (lovely stuff) you've got that to look forward to, its like a big glass of wine after years sobriety smile

summerskittles91 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:35:55

Thanks ladies! I've just had lunch.. had the odd crampy feeling but that's about it. Baby moving lots so all good! I am only 40 weeks and being induced because baby isn't growing. Wasn't surprised cervix was still closed, but midwife said she felt the head straight away!

RaeSkywalker Tue 04-Apr-17 12:37:06

Had mine at 9pm, DS was born at 7:45am the next morning. Labour was quick and uncomplicated- I had half a dose of pethidine at 2am (the midwife suggested it would help me rest, which it did). I had no further pain relief.

Hope all goes well for you, and you're enjoying newborn snuggles soon OP.

RaeSkywalker Tue 04-Apr-17 12:37:45

Sorry, cross posted with you

SquatBetty Tue 04-Apr-17 12:39:48

Had pessary about 10 am, started getting mild contractions from about midday, by midnight I was in fucking agony with them. Pethidine and gas and air made no difference whatsoever to the pain. Happily my waters broke naturally soon after and I immediately requested an epidural which sorted the majority of the pain right out.

At about 9.30am I hadn't dilated past 4cm so a cesarean was arranged and my DS was born at about 11.30.

I'm having a planned cesarean this time round - have no desire to experience a vaginal birth!

Good luck and I second the walking around if you are able to - you're still in agony when a contraction comes but it's better than just lying on your bed!

AlwaysSpellingMyName Tue 04-Apr-17 12:47:32

Had the pessary at 12.30pm. Had some cramps around 10pm but contractions started properly around 2.30am. DS was born at 5.25am smile was very quick and coped well with the pain until the last 10mins. Went from 4cm to fully dilated in those 10mins though and pushed him out in 2 pushes. Gas & Air was my best friend the whole process grin

From getting the pessary to starting contractions I walked round the hospital or bounced on a birthing ball. Good luck! flowers

Liskee Tue 04-Apr-17 12:54:02

First induction nothing happened. A few cramps, dilated to 1cm and then had to have a syntocin drip. Second induction full on contractions started after about 2 hours, by 6 hours in I'd dilated to 2cm and they gave me diamorphine which stopped everything. 24 very slow hours later I was back on a syntocin drip. Basically it doesn't kick start labour for everyone. BUT baby 1 was induced at 39 weeks and baby 2 at 38 weeks so they weren't ready to be evicted really!!

contractor6 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:03:28

How are you getting on skittles?

MaudGonneMad Wed 05-Apr-17 13:05:33

I had 2 rounds of propess, didn't work either time. Had to have ARM and the drip in the end to get labour started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now