Advanced search

to think this means I probably won't be made redundant?

(29 Posts)
Ellybellyboo Tue 04-Apr-17 10:49:05

We are in the middle of redundancies (again) at work at the moment.

I hate it here, it's so stressful and we're already under huge amounts of pressure and it's only going to get worse when our workforce is halved. We hear on Friday whether or not our jobs are at risk.

We were given the option of applying for voluntary redundancy, which I went for but was told yesterday that they have not accepted my application.

I had an interview last week and have heard today that I was successful so I obviously need to accept and hand in my notice as they want me to start asap.

I'm umming and ahhing about the likelihood of me being made redundant, given the fact that my voluntary redundancy application was refused.

EweAreHere Tue 04-Apr-17 11:03:49

Can you wait until Friday to see what happens?

Ellybellyboo Tue 04-Apr-17 11:07:27

I was going to see if I could hang it out but the new company want me to start the beginning of May so it's already quite tight with my notice period - I have a few days holiday I can take, but not enough to wait until Friday

I don't want them to get shitty

FerdinandsRevenge Tue 04-Apr-17 11:11:54

I think it's fair to ask your current employer what the deal is as you've got another offer.

pixiebaby23 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:25:31

Be careful - if the existing company know you have another offer, they will make it a resignation. (I've been in a similar situation and a friend in HR warned me about this). I would let the new company know you can't give an answer until next week. If they want you, they will wait.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 04-Apr-17 11:30:59

How long have you been where you are and what sort of redundancy payment will be made?

I assume you will be resigning anyway even if you get offered redundancy so its not a question of deciding whether to stay or not.

Goldfishjane Tue 04-Apr-17 11:34:15

They turned down your application for voluntary because they don't want to pay out I guess?

Is there a chance you could get statutory?

If that is a sum of money that means something to you, the don't tell them you have a job offer.

I'll be in your position soon, I know how it feels.

Goldfishjane Tue 04-Apr-17 11:35:38

Also re new job and ASAP start, can you tell them you need a few days between old job and new job? They shouldn't get snarky about that.

RamGoatLiver Tue 04-Apr-17 12:00:58

If you were actively looking to leave beforehand, and it's a good career move, I would just hand in your notice and accept the offer.

Can you tell whether these redundancies are to "new manager cutting employee overhead" "clear out dead wood" or "company slowly going down the pan" measures.

Ellybellyboo Tue 04-Apr-17 12:03:36

Thanks all!

Current employers do not know about new job and I don't want them to. This is the 6th round of redundancies in the 7 years I've been here and every time they try and get out of paying out so I'm sure if they knew I had another job they'd try something on.

My pay out is just shy of £8k so not to be sniffed at

If I'm made redundant l'll finish here at the end of April and start new one on 2nd May. If I resign I have to give 1 months notice, which if I hand it in today, and take the remaining few days leave I can just about squeak it in. New employer weren't keen on pushing it back any further. They were ideally after an immediate start.

I'm leaving anyway, I can't stand it any longer, but at the same time, I'd like that £8k.

I had assumed that as they'd turned down my voluntary application, they wouldn't make me redundant. I'm not that sure it's quite so cut and dried as that though

Decisions, decisions!

Ellybellyboo Tue 04-Apr-17 12:06:05

Sorry, x-posted.

These current round of redundancies are because a project has just come to an end. We still have other projects on the go for at least the next 2 years, and other projects in the pipe line.

Everyone being made redundant will probably be re-employed on September when our next big project starts

MrsELM21 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:09:44

Ooh tricky, can you accept the new job, but not tell your employer until Friday? Or would the new employer contact the current employer for any reason, or would this mess up your notice period, just a though if you could somehow get away with it..??

FerdinandsRevenge Tue 04-Apr-17 12:10:37

How likely is that you'll be expected to work out your notice?

FerdinandsRevenge Tue 04-Apr-17 12:12:02

You can ask the new employer to not discuss it with your current one until Monday can't you? I know you'll be short a few days, but that should be easier to negotiate right?

edwinbear Tue 04-Apr-17 12:12:12

I'd just thank the new company for their offer, tell them you would like to consider it over the weekend and will revert with an answer on Monday.

edwinbear Tue 04-Apr-17 12:13:11

Or just accept the new offer and tell them your line manager is on holiday until Monday so you will hand your notice in when they return.

Ellybellyboo Tue 04-Apr-17 12:13:44

I suppose they can't actually make me work the full notice period.

It'll only be a few days. They're not exactly going to sack me or come round to my house and drag me out kicking and screaming.

I could always phone in sick.

I'm dithering.

Part of me just wants to hand my notice in today and be done with it. But, £8k!!!

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 04-Apr-17 12:20:11

"I don't want them to get shitty"
Realistically, what could they do about it?

I would wait until Friday with my resignation letter in my bag, ready to hand in should I not be made redundant.

Goldfishjane Tue 04-Apr-17 12:26:26

Yes just hold on and be ready to resign.
With that much, gird yourself, they'll probably want to save it.

flowery Tue 04-Apr-17 12:33:16

This is the 6th round of redundancies in the 7 years I've been here and every time they try and get out of paying out so I'm sure if they knew I had another job they'd try something on.

I'm intrigued. How do they try and 'get out of paying'? What do you think they'd 'try on' if you resigned with another job to go to?

If they refused you voluntary that means you probably won't be made redundant. It means they want to keep you, and either have had enough volunteers, or will do compulsory selection which may result in you going but not very likely.

However, for the sake of £8k starting with your new employer a couple of days later than they want is worth doing. It won't be a big deal if you start on 5th May rather than 2nd.

Your current employer can't physically make you work your notice, but if they will incur financial loss as a result of you walking out without completing it, they could technically take legal action. That's unlikely, but obviously you'll be kissing goodbye to a good reference, which may be important either now or further down the line.

Goldfishjane Tue 04-Apr-17 12:35:23

They might be fine about shorter notice period though?

GreyBird84 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:55:23

Have you got an official letter confirming offer of the new job yet?

I'd be saying nothing to current employer until I did.

That would also buy you some time. Have you asked for company handbook, that kind of thing?

EweAreHere Tue 04-Apr-17 18:02:15

I'd hold out the few days and see if you the £8k is possible. That is a life changing sum in a lot of ways ... huge chunk that you would have earned.

And give notice after you know and tell them you'll finish the month. That should be close enough, and they probably won't want you around; take your 3 days holiday they owe you are the bitter end to carry you into May.

foxyloxy78 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:09:10

Wait until Friday and have your letter ready to go.

RamGoatLiver Tue 04-Apr-17 18:10:46

8k - I would hang on too!

Surely, your new employer would understand your old employer would want a month's notice, which would mean 2nd week of May.

I agree, thank them for the offer, say you are seriously considering it and will give them a definite answer on Monday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: