We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

...to think drivers and cyclists are all idiots!??

(45 Posts)
user1487519954 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:38:37

Not so much an AIBU but a rant, and wondering if people feel the same?

I regularly cycle and drive around where I live (smallish-sized city with lots of cyclicts), and I am constantly amazed at poor road behaviour!

I regularly see all of these things:
Cyclists: cycling on the pavement, without lights, the wrong way up a one-way street!
Drivers: overtaking cyclists too near, overtaking where there are solid middle lines... Yesterday I was driving, going slowly behind a cyclist, as the road both had a bend and went over a bridge (double solid lines in the middle), and the idiot in the car behind honked at me for not overtaking!
Pedestrians: wandering into the road without looking, wearing headphones so they can't hear what's coming, - I have nearly hit a pedestrian several times (on my bike) because people just don't look!

Is it just me that gets so annoyed?? Why is everyone so stupid? Don't they realise how dangerous their behaviour is?

user1487519954 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:39:13

excuse the typos!

IHeartDodo Tue 04-Apr-17 13:15:56

bump

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 04-Apr-17 13:18:48

I assume that everyone else who has the cheek to be on MY road is about to do something stupid.
This means I am a) prepared and b) delighted when they don't

GeillisTheWitch Tue 04-Apr-17 13:18:53

YANBU. I recently got a dash cam because there are too many idiots on the road that don't pay attention. And that's before you even get to the aggressive, tailgating arseholes.

Lottapianos Tue 04-Apr-17 13:20:06

No, its definitely not just you. I'm a pedestrian and I see all of this all the time. Cyclists on the pavement absolutely boil my blood and will be first to get the flamethrower when I'm in charge. A lot of pedestrians act like headless chickens too - wandering about in their own little bubble, ambling out in front of traffic, taking their good old time about crossing the road even when three lanes of traffic are heading towards them. Its thoughtless stupidity and drives me crackers. No idea what the answer is though hmm

araiwa Tue 04-Apr-17 13:21:25

so youre an idiot

yanbu

brasty Tue 04-Apr-17 13:22:26

Now days the driving test is about defensive driving. This means assuming that everyone else on the road is an idiot, and driving accordingly. Try it, will might make you feel more relaxed about it too.

user1487519954 Tue 04-Apr-17 15:13:29

obviously not everyone - may have exaggerated slightly in my ranty excitement!

IHeartDodo Tue 04-Apr-17 15:14:21

well... my mum always said when I was learning to drive: "it's not you I'm worried about, it's all the other idiots"

Meekonsandwich Tue 04-Apr-17 19:39:05

Ive worked in retail my whole life, I am a cyclist and a driver.

90% of people are idiots.

And they dont even realise.

Pacific Tue 04-Apr-17 19:51:47

You should try riding a motorbike...the idiots just try to kill you!

SteppingOnToes Tue 04-Apr-17 20:16:17

I agree but...

Cyclists, pedestrians and horseriders are 'exempt' from one-way rules.

Mumski45 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:20:39

Not sure that's true Steppingontoes. What makes you think that?

SteppingOnToes Tue 04-Apr-17 22:00:29

Not sure that's true Steppingontoes. What makes you think that?

Because it's in the bloody highway code

carefreeeee Tue 04-Apr-17 22:23:26

Because it's in the bloody highway code

Eh?

Cyclists aren't exempt apart from if there's a sign. Pedestrians are obviously exempt as they are from everything more or less (except if there's a no pedo sign). Not sure about horses.

There are similar numbers of idiots in all walks or life, professions, social classes and transport modes - just the ones driving a tonne of metal are a lot more dangerous to everyone else!

OwlOfBrown Tue 04-Apr-17 22:44:55

It bloody well isn't in the highway code Steppingontoes. Quite the opposite!

Highway Code - Rules for Cyclists - Rule 69 www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Highway Code - Rules about Animals - Rule 53
www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58

user1487519954 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:47:57

Steppingontoes not sure about that - where in the highway code? (the rules are numbered)

user1487519954 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:19:12

I think this proves my point nicely! How can people follow the rules if they don't even know them!

heron98 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:20:46

I think you need to relax. I really couldn't care less if someone cycles on the pavement. it's not the end of the world.

corythatwas Wed 05-Apr-17 11:28:13

I used to be all on the side of the cyclists (environment and all that) but I can't help noticing in myself that if I am about to cross at the pedestrian green lights and see a cyclist approaching, my first reaction is to hold back; with a car driver I just assume they are going to stick to the law and stop. Many years of experience here.

I also feel very hmm about the way that cycling is advertised in some circles as something that gets you through traffic quicker than driving. Hmm yes, if you have no qualms about randomly mounting the pavement or cutting up cars or sailing through lights it does. The problem with this argument is that it seems to breed an attitude where cyclists feel entitled to passing through any obstacles, because they have chosen the mode of transport that means (so we are told) that they should never have to wait for anyone.

Plenty of good reasons to cycle: good for your fitness levels, good for the environment. But so as to ensure you don't have to give way to other people, dubious.

MaidOfStars Wed 05-Apr-17 11:38:51

I'm a driver, a cyclist, a regular pedestrian and a running pedestrian. Every group annoys me at some point if I'm currently occupying one of the other categories grin

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 05-Apr-17 11:44:32

Yeh obviously you should give way when you need to and follow road signs, traffic lights etc. But cycling is normally quicker because you can go past queueing cars, whether that's in a cycle lane or by filtering. Some people seem to think that it is illegal to filter at all.

But I disagree with the OP. Most people are perfectly fine. Problem is that it's the minority who are idiots who stick in your head. e.g. I went for a ride yesterday on some narrow lanes, wasn't holding up anyone up for very long (just say going round a corner etc and never had more than 2 cars behind me) and drivers were being very good holding back till it was safe to overtake, I was thanking them when they did so. All very nice. Then one woman leans on her horn as she went past, gesticulating at me. No idea why. She's been behind me for less than 30 seconds. Can only assume she was one of those who just hate cyclists.

Mulledwine1 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:49:00

Cyclists on the pavement absolutely boil my blood and will be first to get the flamethrower when I'm in charge

Really - you think this is worse than driving when drunk/texting?

There is a very short stretch of pavement (50m or so) which I cycle along sometimes because otherwise I would have to cross an extremely busy road twice. If there is a pedestrian, I get off the bike and walk (even though I am actually taking up more of the pavement doing that). I really can't see how this can possibly deserve a flame-thrower ;)

I'm a driver, a cyclist, a regular pedestrian and a running pedestrian. Every group annoys me at some point if I'm currently occupying one of the other categories

Yes, me too. Though runners only bug me when they run in the road when there is a perfectly good pavement next to them.

Mulledwine1 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:52:29

Some people seem to think that it is illegal to filter at all

There is a very narrow margin between legal filtering and illegal undertaking - and in my view, most cyclists fall within the latter category.

There is a very good book which explains this - called Cyclecraft. It's very good if your kids are doing bikeability and in fact for car drivers to understand why cyclists do some of the things they do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now