Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why the fuss about Easter and the national trust?

(296 Posts)
Believeitornot Tue 04-Apr-17 09:52:06

Theresa May has been quoted as being "furious" about the national trust removing easter from their egg hunts. Because she's the daughter of a vicar and a NT member hmm

Now I had a look at the national trust poster and it clearly says Easter in big letters. They've just called the activities "egg hunts" but it's very clear it's happening at Easter.

AIBU to think she's massively over reacting over a non issue and might well be reminded that Easter was originally a pagan festival

DontLetMeBeMisunderstood Tue 04-Apr-17 09:53:53

I'd say that there a plenty more important things for Teresa May to save her fury for.

Applebite Tue 04-Apr-17 09:55:23

I don't think the national trust have done anything wrong. But I think Cadbury are a bunch of arseholes now that they are owned by kraft/mondelez, and they have removed the word Easter from the eggs that I've seen in the shops.

"Seasonal treats" my arse; an Easter egg is an Easter egg. Fucking non tax paying, chocolate bar ruining, promise breaking, employee firing, greedy fuckers!

CrumpettyTree Tue 04-Apr-17 09:56:29

I'm furious about a lot of things the tories have done. I wish Easter egg hunts were all i had to be furious about.

Believeitornot Tue 04-Apr-17 09:56:48

I would agree re the fury point.

I think it's the most passionate I've ever heard her talk about something which is a bit sad really.

And I don't like cadburys but will still go along to a NT Easter egg hunt cos the kids will enjoy it.

PlayOnWurtz Tue 04-Apr-17 09:56:50

To many/most Christians Easter is a bigger deal than Christmas so to erase it from common language and secularise it is pretty offensive.

Believeitornot Tue 04-Apr-17 09:59:22

To many/most Christians Easter is a bigger deal than Christmas so to erase it from common language and secularise it is pretty offensive

It hasn't been erased though. It's on the posters still.

exexpat Tue 04-Apr-17 10:00:33

It's all part of the same "PC brigade"/muslims are banning Christmas/persecuting Christians narrative which has been pushed for ages by the usual suspects (Mail, Express, Sun, UKIP, certain Conservative MPs etc). Remember the row about cinemas "banning"a CofE Lords Prayer ad, when the church knew before it had even finished making the ad that the chain p0of cinems would not accept any religious or political advertising?

As usual, it is a non-story, and not even true: twitter is full if pucs of NT and Cadbury things with the word Easter, but also Cadbury eggs from the 80s which don't say Easter either.

Renaissance2017 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:02:07

The Resurrection is the main tenet of the Christian faith, therefore it's not unreasonable for people to be upset about it.

You would be more sensitive around Eid, Diwali or Yom Kippur.

user1471521456 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:02:34

Easter isn't even a Christian word. It derives from a pagan goddess.

exexpat Tue 04-Apr-17 10:03:14

The word Easter is plastered all 8ver tehe Cadbury website: www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/gift-ideas/shop-by-occasion/easter-gifts/celebration-easter-basket.html

Sirzy Tue 04-Apr-17 10:04:43

I bet most of those complaining aren't even Christian they just want something to complain about

Madwomans Tue 04-Apr-17 10:04:55

The emails I've got about it (NT member) have Easter all over them -- that the actual hunts are described as 'Cadbury Egg hunts' is clearly about some massively heavy-handed branding by a chocolate company, rather than some attempt to 'erase' Easter --not even mentioning the ridiculousness of assuming this is an anti-Christian thing, given that 'Eostre' is clearly a fertility festival, all about eggs etc--:

Cadbury Egg Hunts near you!

The Easter bunny has been hiding his precious chocolates at our places again. Follow the clues to find his hidden stash.

and

It’s that time of the year again when we team up with Cadbury to offer you the ultimate day out. Join us over the Easter holidays to run through muddy woodlands, around mystical lakes and along nature trails on a Cadbury Egg Hunt.

There are over 250 hunts to choose from across England, Wales and Northern Ireland, guaranteeing a fun-filled Easter for everyone.

From fighting fiery dragons and solving mysteries to helping friendly animals throw a carnival, there's so much to get involved in. There'll be face-painting, family games and craft activities galore so you can stay for a whole day of fun.

What’s more, everyone will be rewarded with a delicious Cadbury treat at the end of each completed hunt. And every time you head out on a Cadbury Egg Hunt, you’ll help us fund vital conservation work to protect special places for future generations to explore

Believeitornot Tue 04-Apr-17 10:05:32

You would be more sensitive around Eid, Diwali or Yom Kippur

No I wouldn't.

Easter is still on the posters. Hence my query about the fuss. It says "Easter" in bigger letters than the words "egg hunt", on all the ones I've seen.

hmm

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Apr-17 10:06:29

Cadbury have tweeted this picture.

Theresa May has been made to look a complete fool about this. Everyone is tweeting all the things she has failed to condemn (FFS she's in Saudi Arabia), while condemning this FAKE NEWS.

CharlieAustinsMagicHat Tue 04-Apr-17 10:06:31

Upset about what though Renaissance? The word Easter is on the very poster that everyone is complaining about and all over the National Trust and Cadbury websites.

No one is banning references to Easter.

exexpat Tue 04-Apr-17 10:06:40

Did Cadbury ever have the word 'Easter' on the packaging for all its various types of chocolate egg? Creme eggs have never been labelled 'creme Easter eggs' as far as I know, but no one has been worried they are a sign of creeping secularisation before...

PinkHeart59156816 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:07:16

I am sure there is plenty of other things for a PM to be worrying about but I am not sure why it's not called an Easter egg hunt, I mean it's Easter, it's an Easter egg and it is a Easter egg hunt confused

Would anyone really not let a child take part in a sodding Easter egg hunt because it has the word Easter in it? I don't think so, so why have national trust made it an issue

Orlantina Tue 04-Apr-17 10:08:40

No mention of Easter on the website grin

Maybe Theresa May should check her facts before commentating

BertrandRussell Tue 04-Apr-17 10:10:47

It's Easter. So they are Easter eggs.

I'm not going to get upset about it, but as an atheist and a secularist I think it's crap.

BertrandRussell Tue 04-Apr-17 10:11:27

Oh shit, it's not Winterval all over again, is it?

Orlantina Tue 04-Apr-17 10:12:11

One thing is though - it's great publicity for the National Trust grin

squishysquirmy Tue 04-Apr-17 10:12:48

The Easter Bunny died for our sins and the "National" Trust try to ban Easter?
Quite right that Theresa May devotes time to complaining about this! I can't think of anything more important for her to spend her energy on right now.

Orlantina Tue 04-Apr-17 10:13:40

Is this the same Theresa May who refused to comment on "legs-it"?

squishysquirmy Tue 04-Apr-17 10:16:45

They probably labelled it "Cadbury egg hunt" because it is shorter and trips off the tongue better than "Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt".
Slogans/Event names normally work better when they are as concise as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now