Talk

Advanced search

Nanny cut hours

(8 Posts)
Thoughtfulduck Tue 04-Apr-17 00:07:54

I'm a nanny and I've worked for this family for over three years now and get on with them very well usually.

I used to do 12 hour days for them and recently have been cut to 8 hour days. That was a bit of a pain as obviously it's less money but it isn't my only job so it's not the end of the world.

My problem is that they are really starting to mess me around! Nearly every week they leave it until the day before and ask me to come in two hours early and/or work two hours later than usual. I'm lucky if I get 24 hours warning as a few times they have left me high and dry with the kids and come home 2 hours late!

I've told them that I need warning of any overtime and I have also refused to do a few late nights if I already have plans...but they are not getting the message!

I feel like they are really taking advantage as they have obviously cut my set hours but seem to think I am available whenever they need me!

So what do I do now? It's getting really awkward when I keep having to tell them I can't stay late/come early and I end up feeling pressured into cancelling my plans. AIBU to think if they are being a bit unfair? Or should I be more flexible?

chastenedButStillSmiling Tue 04-Apr-17 00:10:00

Advise them that you're leaving at the times they've set.

How old are the kids?

Drop them at a neighbours? Or ask for overtime (time + a half) if they're late.

it sounds pretty shit!

Thoughtfulduck Tue 04-Apr-17 00:13:08

I keep telling them and they seem to take it onboard for a week and then ask last minute again.

I probably would be quite flexible if give a couple of weeks warning. They've had the neighbours look after them before when I've said no but I'm the one that ends up feeling guilty - I know I shouldn't be! I'm also worried it's going to reflect badly on me if I the neighbours keep having to pick up the slack.

Thoughtfulduck Tue 04-Apr-17 00:13:54

3 kids are school age and youngest is a toddler.

NoFucksImAQueen Tue 04-Apr-17 00:15:58

Do they pay you for the overtime? It seems so odd they wouldn't just put your hours to 10 a day rather than keep asking to come early/stay late.
Yanbu by the way

Thoughtfulduck Tue 04-Apr-17 00:19:24

They pay me my normal rate for the overtime. If they upped my hours again it would be fine and I think that's what I'm finding frustrating. They don't need me early/late every week, it's probably about 3/5 weeks I have this problem but they obviously don't want to have to pay me for the weeks they don't need me.

blackteasplease Tue 04-Apr-17 00:21:58

Make the overtime cost more. That's all i can think of. with penalties if it's not notified in advance.

caroldecker Tue 04-Apr-17 00:34:56

Just say overtime is 2x normal hours and 4x if less than 48 hours notice. Be prepared to lose your job if the don't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now