Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleep Walking - Normal or Odd?

(8 Posts)
badonkydonk Mon 03-Apr-17 20:08:58

I am an adult and I sleep walk to what I think may be to the boundary's of the extreme.

Last night I went a-wandering and noticed today at work that I have two huge gauges and big bruising on the right hand side on the lower of my back. Last week I woke up to a bruise on my right arm from my shoulder to half way down my arm and a big bruise on my left arm the night before.

About six months ago, I either fell down the stairs (top to bottom) or made it down to the bottom and whilst walking up, I fell. I just remember waking up at the bottom of the stairs rather confused. That tumble ended up with me cracking my shoulder, a big bruise from wrist to shoulder and a CT scan as I had a pocket of blood on my head.

I have been to the doctor about this and they just want me to monitor my movements of an night. I completely understand this stance but my DH works nights 2-3 times a week and I also work away from home staying in hotels for work - god only knows what random hotel staff have guided me back after I have gone on a solo mission.

Just to clarify, I know that these injuries are from sleep walking. The big tumble up or down the stairs, my DH was at work which is the worst incident yet.

I always have cuts and bruises so I think I take off every night but with less serious consequences. DH and I are super heavy sleepers so I don't take umbridge with him not waking up.

Have any of you found a solution to this. I am worried that the GP may suggest sleeping tablets or knocking me out with something else. I know this may look the sensible option but I don't want to rely on something like that.

The GP did ask if I drink a lot, I don't, maybe once or twice a month) (and not a lot if I do) - the sleepwalking happens almost every night.

Littleelffriend Mon 03-Apr-17 20:11:59

Temporarily can you use a stair gate? I feel for you I don't hurt myself but I come downstairs and eat. Like a whole meal. I have to put leftovers straight in the freezer but I've eaten a tin of sweetcorn before.

badonkydonk Mon 03-Apr-17 20:19:36

Littleelffriend I am a determined night wanderer and i'd either open it or fall over it- we've considered a gate. Our stairs are super steep and heading over at terminal velocity would probably cause me more harm.

We are due to move soon with a more forgiving staircase.

I sleep with the light on in the bathroom when I am on my own so at least, like a moth, I go to the light!

minipie Mon 03-Apr-17 20:21:40

Lock on your bedroom door? Or maybe some kind of alarm that goes off if it senses motion or if you open the bedroom door?

I'd be nervous about a stairgate in case you fell over the top of it, they aren't that tall.

badonkydonk Mon 03-Apr-17 20:28:27

minipie Lock I think i'd open but the bedroom alarm is a really good suggestion - thank you.

I am apparently quite adept at disarming the house alarm as DH found me (after hearing some banshee wailing - his words) in the back garden. I was explaining to the squirrels for stealing the nuts from the trees because the trees needed them.......WTH??

ThePiglet59 Mon 03-Apr-17 22:48:36

Handcuffs?

nocoolnamesleft Mon 03-Apr-17 23:28:15

Scatter lego bricks on the bedroom floor...

LePetitPrince Mon 03-Apr-17 23:32:54

I sleepwalk and it's awful. I once rang someone in my sleep, didn't speak and left the phone off the hook. They were well used to me so just heard me bang around the place. I didn't believe them until the phone bill came.

I am much worse if husband is away too.

I don't hurt myself so must be a careful sleep walker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now