Talk

Advanced search

Argh! Dying (period pain!)

(12 Posts)
Dumbo412 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:28:38

I honestly think I'm dying!
I've got quite severe PCOS, haven't had a good roper period since about October. I have been in quite severe pain since I got my "visitor" on Saturday.

Because of the PCOS and anovulatory cycles I've not really had period pain, but dear god, I feel like my insides are being twisted and pulled out at the same time!

Am I dying?? I do kind of mean this light heartedly, but I'm so bloody sore!
Ibuprofen is not even helping!

I never ever want another period ever again!

Eatyourdinner Mon 03-Apr-17 18:30:13

You could try Naproxen, it does the trick for me, though it upsets my stomach :-( Periods suck :-(

grannytomine Mon 03-Apr-17 18:32:07

So sorry to hear that OP, I remember it well. One good thing about getting old is that all that stops. I had a hysterectomy and it was like a magic wand was waved over me and my life was my own.

Hope things improve.

toffeepuddin Mon 03-Apr-17 18:32:19

What eatyourdinner said or Tramodol is meant to be good by my friend who has endometriosis. Are you ttc OP? On Clomid or anything?

emmyhNL Mon 03-Apr-17 18:33:10

Im in the exact same boat. Pcos and postpartum periods mean the last 3 periods have been like nothing on earth. I've had nights of being curled up in a ball in such agony it felt like childbirth. What did the doctor say? "it can happen. Not much we can do I'm afraid" angry

Maria1982 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:36:01

Co-codamol (paracetamol with codeine) can help. It's stronger than just paracetamol. Be warned though it can cause constipation...

Have you tried paracetamol instead of ibuprofen? I prefer it.
You can also take both, alternating.

I find heat patches a massive help. In boots or any other pharmacy. Probably market d for back pain but they really help.

Period pains are the worst, you have my sympathy

Cornettoninja Mon 03-Apr-17 18:37:41

have you tried alternating ibuprofen and paracetamol with two hour gaps?

You can take them together but this way you can cover yourself for a much longer time. It's a bit of a long game though and I tend to keep that regime up for my worst three days without waiting till the pains at its worst before dealing with it.

Also go to your pharmacist and have a chat about other pain relief you can buy over the counter and your GP about dealing with your pcos and possibly a prescription for stronger stuff you can keep on standby.

Don't forget a hot water bottle and to keep yourself hydrated and fed.

Huge sympathies - period pain is awful at its worst.

Tops38 Mon 03-Apr-17 22:37:20

I take prescription mefanamic and tranzemic acid tablets for my awful awful periods. Without them I honestly can't leave the house without leaking/flooding /awful pain .Plus lots of hot water bottles .
Hope it eases for you.

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 03-Apr-17 22:44:19

I take Buscopan when I get bad period pain along with ibuprofen.

RB68 Mon 03-Apr-17 22:46:13

Its not what you want to hear but light exercise - walking- helps due to endorphin release but naproxen is wonderful here. I am quite large so on occasion I have taken 3 ibuprofen (they don't irritate my stomach) and only because I was once prescribed 600mg for period pain by GP. Don't forget you can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together. Dose up and set the alarm for when next lot due and don't give yourself a gap. Hot water bottle, I find a hot bath helps too.

BibiBlocksberg Mon 03-Apr-17 22:59:16

Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen plus codeine) is the only thing that works for me (currently suffering along with you OP) and Buscopan.

Buscopan was a MN trick recently discovered - really helps with the otherworldly level of twisting/cramping - oh, and the obligatory hot water bottle of course

Brokejoke Mon 03-Apr-17 23:03:33

The strongest thing you can get otc is solphadeine max. I prefer the soluble as it works faster. Buscopan for cramps.

I used to get mefenamic acid and tranexamic (sp) on prescription for mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now