Talk

Advanced search

Defrosting Chicken

(13 Posts)
AnswersHereAndThere Mon 03-Apr-17 16:56:03

I took an extra large chicken out of the freezer and put in the fridge 24 hours ago, just got it out and it's still a bit frozen.
DH says I should leave it on the kitchen side and wait for a couple of hours and then cook it, AIBU to question if this is safe / will I give people food poisoning?
(FYI Yes we plan to eat late anyway)

DonaldStott Mon 03-Apr-17 16:58:49

I never defrost chicken in the fridge. I always leave it on the side.

I've never got ill from doing this. Nor has dh or dd.

DonaldStott Mon 03-Apr-17 16:59:49

Or do you have a defrost setting on your microwave or oven?

Allthewaves Mon 03-Apr-17 17:00:26

Defrost setting on oven

AnswersHereAndThere Mon 03-Apr-17 18:10:25

Thank-you, I haven't a defrost setting on my oven and no microwave.
I shall leave it on the side and fingers crossed all will be well! 😮

Notso Mon 03-Apr-17 18:26:27

I always defrost chicken at room temperature, it takes days to defrost in my fridge.

ThePiglet59 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:29:00

If you make sure that it's burnt a bit on the outside, it won't matter if the middle is a little rare.

Cocklodger Mon 03-Apr-17 18:29:09

I defrost in the fridge, but I have OCD and food hygiene is one place where it manifests.
I think you'd be fine though, stbxh does it (he's actually a fully qualified and experienced head chef and business owner) so I wouldn't worry! Just ensure, as ever that you cook it through properly

AnswersHereAndThere Mon 03-Apr-17 18:29:22

Would it be awful to cook it even though it's slightly frozen?
Thanks everyone, I'm new to cooking chicken!

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Mon 03-Apr-17 18:30:25

I always defrost food on the side.

goodnessidontknow Mon 03-Apr-17 18:38:54

Cooking through the defrosting process is accepted by the FSA as a suitable method so it's fine to cook from frozen in most cases. What you need to avoid is the meat sitting in the danger zone of 4 - 65 degrees for any longer than necessary and make sure it's above 75 degrees at the thickest part before serving.
www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/116/page:1

Notso Mon 03-Apr-17 18:40:37

As long as you make sure it's fully cooked before you serve it, although I only tend to do that if chicken is getting chopped up and put in a sauce eg for curry as it might make it a bit dry on the outside if your just roasting it.

Tigerlovingall Mon 03-Apr-17 18:52:35

Ive had it under the cold water tap before now(water up its innards). Worked ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now