Talk

Advanced search

Doctors surgery stuff up.

(18 Posts)
8misskitty8 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:13:28

Apologies this is long.
I have attended hospital yearly for past 6 years due to having thyroid cancer. I go every year to have bloods taken to check for cancer markers and to see throid hormone levels in blood etc. It was made clear at the start that my gp surgery was not to take any bloods for this unless requested. Nor were they to change my medication. They were to just issue the repeat prescription slips. Any results would be copied over to gp file.
A few years ago the gp surgery started phoning me wanting to go in for blood tests which I declined stating the above reason. Once a random doctor tried to take me off the tablets completely as in her view I didn't need them.
Spoke to hospital consultant last year who said he'd write to them to remind them not to phone me.
In Feb this year gp surgery again phoned me wanting me to go for bloods. They phoned again a few weeks ago. Stated my refusal and why again.
Fed up with this I went to surgery to request medical notes, was asked why so told them.
Got home and the surgery phoned me apparently the reason they have asked me to go in for blood test is they have never had any blood results from the hospital in the 6 years I have attended.
So contacted hospital consultant secretary who told me that every year results are sent plus all results are on system anyway but she'll reissue.

I phone gp surgery and got told that they actually do have letters from hospital saying I've attended (an hour ago they said they had no record) but no results attached.
I pointed out that if they have had no blood results for last 6 years then why has no-one contacted the hospital. They couldn't answer that. Nor could they answer why the surgery has been happy to give me the repeat prescriptions despite allegedly having to blood results or letters from the hospital.
The medication I'm on could have disastrous results if too much is taken or worse if not enough (cancer returning or potential death)

I've got a phone consultation with my named doctor later this week about this, best I could get as first surgery appointment offered was middle of may.

Aibu to think that actually they have had the results but they haven't actually bothered to either insert them in my file or read them properly ? Someone has stuffed up here clearly.

Sorry for long post, just needed to rant !!!!!!

redexpat Mon 03-Apr-17 16:20:00

Gosh that sounds really irritating, but it is almost certainly an admin mistake. I would take the I am bringing this to your attention so you can fix it line.

inlectorecumbit Mon 03-Apr-17 16:25:08

Put your concerns/ complaint in writing to the Practice Manager detailing exactly what you have said here. They then have to respond giving their side of the story and take it from there.
No GP surgery likes a formal complaint as it has to be reported in their annual returns and fully investigated to everyones satisfaction.
Perhaps you might even get an earlier appointment.

terrylene Mon 03-Apr-17 16:25:09

flowers for getting this far! Nothing useful to add, other than what redexpat said.

8misskitty8 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:31:04

I just don't understand how when they've asked for bloods last few years and I've declined, they haven't then said to me that they haven't hit any blood results from hospital and that's why they are requesting them.
I've even attended the gp for tonsillitis etc. Since the cancer and nothing was said to me. They have been issuing the repeat prescriptions to me as well so why has there been no checks done to ensure I should be on these tablets.

8misskitty8 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:31:22

Spoke to my named doctor today. He is going to do an internal investigation. He wasn't even told by receptionist what I wanted to speak to him about !

He said he can't understand why I was called or told they had no letters from the hospital. He said he had my file in front of him and every letter from the hospital is there. And the letters detail results and any medication update. They also say not to alter medication unless professor * has advised.
My file is also coded for cancer and under consultant care and coded for no blood request relating to my medication.
On the blood test recall system relating to thyroid medication it has beside my name, no bloods to be requested, under professor *****.

He is going to speak to the nurse that phoned to find out which doctor asked her to phone me. And find out who accessed my file and told the nurse and receptionist there was no letters or blood results.

He apologised and said that it was a serious matter and thanked me for bringing it to his attention.
So I will have to wait and see what his investigation reveals.

trinity0097 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:35:13

Glad he is taking it seriously.

terrylene Wed 05-Apr-17 16:42:18

Hope they manage to make some sense of it.

8misskitty8 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:46:31

I'm bolshy enough to question anything medical that doesn't sound right. But there would be other patients who wouldn't.

FrancisCrawford Wed 05-Apr-17 16:51:00

Glad your doctor is looking into this

He's clearly concerned about a number of issues, one of which could be Data Protection, if staff have been giving out factually incorrect information.

I'd recommend you ask for the results of the investigation in writing

honeysucklejasmine Wed 05-Apr-17 16:52:58

Im glad you got it sorted OP, it can be very draining when the hospital and GP don't seem to communicate.

When my twin brother moved and registered with a new doctor, they asked why he had an ultrasound of his ovaries on file. hmm So, that's where my scan results ended up.

terrylene Wed 05-Apr-17 16:54:39

Well done you. I would certainly have been very confused by them and rather flummoxed about what to do.

It sounds like someone has been cocking up behind the scenes and making it the patient's fault which is so wrong. We need our bolshy people smile.

CauliflowerSqueeze Wed 05-Apr-17 16:59:19

Do you think "internal investigation" means anything more than a little shruggy question over a cup of tea?

8misskitty8 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:06:22

My preferred doctor is great. He was the one who referred me right away to the hospital when I found the lump in my neck. After It was found to be cancer he phoned me at home one evening when the hospital wrote to the surgery.
It's very difficult to get an appointment with him as he is the best doctor there.

He is one of the partners and I really do think he will investigate it.

If I don't hear anything after a few weeks I'll be following it up.

228agreenend Wed 05-Apr-17 17:06:55

doctors surgeries have to take complaints like this seriously, and fully investigate them.. Everything will be fully documentated.

allegretto Wed 05-Apr-17 17:18:29

Did you get the blood test results?

8misskitty8 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:47:15

Allegretto. All my blood results from last 6 years from the hospital consultant are actually all there in my file and available online.

I wasn't looking for my blood results. Some random doctor in the surgery claimed that there was no record and was wanting me to get blood taken so they could 'amend my medication' which was my issue. Doctor surgery is not allowed to amend my medication and when I complained a load of other stuff has been brought to light ( see my op)

redexpat Wed 05-Apr-17 17:51:36

Promising update.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now